Bull network connection issues

nc mike

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I'm having an issue connecting the 700 to my network. I've spoke with RT and they've given me a workaround, but I want to solve the problem. I have a Linksys WRT3200ACM router with dd-wrt firmware. I have it configured to use my vpn through openVPN. My ssid is not broadcast and I have created a virtual access point for guest access. The guest account is broadcast because the app won't let me choose a hidden network.

With this set up, the grill will not connect. It can see the network but always fails to connect. It will connect to my phone when it's a hotspot. I've only tested this with open security and a basic password (no special characters). Has anyone else had this problem and solved it? One thing I question is the security of the network. I use WPA2 on my network but on the app I'm not given the option to choose the security type. I also wonder if special characters in the password make any difference. There's something small in the set up it doesn't like.

20+ year network engineer here... don't hide your SSID... anyone trying to hack your WPA2 key won't be deterred by a hidden SSID... it's still seen.

I agree, hiding the SSID is pretty pointless and causes more trouble than it's worth... case in point the issue you're having now.

As @TXGunLover has mentioned, a hidden SSID is only hiding it from maybe your grandma or grandpa, but anyone else can very easily and quickly find it.

I get that it can be found with a packet sniffer but it makes me feel a little better :) I'll turn it on and see if it makes a difference.

I'm going to guess,since you've made this waaaay more complicated than it needs to be location on your phone is turned off?

Turn it on,once the grill connects turn it off again. You'll never need to do it again

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back