My Thermapen ONE cooking thermometer

Mike

Kind of good admin
Community Leader
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
ThermoWorks reached out to me a few days ago asking if I'd be interested in checking out their new Thermapen ONE thermometer, knowing how well the MK4 has performed for me I just had to check out the new ONE meat probe as well.

The MK4 and ONE share the same overall look, including the much loved large fully rotating screen and IP67 waterproof rating. However the new Thermapen ONE has a few new tricks up its sleeve:

• A ONE second response time. (hence the name)
  • Increased accuracy to ±0.5°F (±0.3°C).
  • 5 year warranty (MK4 had 2 years)
  • Brighter backlight. The MK4 is more of a yellowish/amber backlight, while the ONE is more of a white-ish backlight.
  • Redesigned battery compartment for easier battery changes and access to settings controls.

While dinner is already done here, we are having a cookout this weekend. I'll be cooking up a couple pork butts and you can bet I'll be using the new Thermapen ONE and will be more than happy to report back my thoughts!

Front view:
thermapen-ONE-thermometer-front.jpg

Back view:
thermapen-ONE-thermometer-back.jpg

Backlight:
thermapen-ONE-thermometer-backlight.jpg

I've also heard the auto backlight is a tad quicker to respond so would be interested in impressions of that feature as well as the others.

Not everyone appreciates all of the ergonomics that the Mk 4 offered in one package. I suspect that those who compromise for any of the "almost as good as the Thermapen" have reasonable rationalizations for themselves, likely price driven. But the Thermapen is the standard of comparison for good reasons, and the upgrades just moved the bar..............................for those who value those features.

Thanks for the review! I love my MK4. They run sales that make them reasonable. I would not hesitate to jump in to the One next time I am in the market.

So I've had the Thermapen ONE now for just about two weeks and I'm not going to lie. I'm pretty impressed.

The first weekend I had it, I used the ONE and my MK4 on two pork butts I cooked for little party we had here at the house. Now I'll preface this with the fact that I've been in love with my MK4 in the short time I've had it, but the new ONE is just awesome!

Being able to open the grill, stab the meat and have an accurate temp reading in one second or less is just awesome. I actually found myself waiting a few more seconds expecting the temp to change or update... I'm used to waiting. With the Thermapen ONE, waiting is pretty much a thing of the past.

Just this past weekend, for July 4th, I cooked the wife and I some sirloin steaks using the tried and true reverse sear method. Again the ONE was just spot on and insanely quick.

There is just one thing I really wish this thing had, and that would be a magnetic backing. Being able to stick this thing to the RecTeq Bull side or front shelf or anywhere else on my custom recteq cart would simply tie a bow on this thing.

I know the MK4 has a silicon cover you can buy that adds this,. I'm sure it would probably work just fine on the ONE as well, but honestly it would be so much cleaner and nicer if it was already built into the device.

Otherwise, Thermoworks has this this out of the park and I'd certainly recommend this to anyone.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srbbates
Back