Bull Custom Cart for RecTeq RT-700 Bull grill

Mike

Kind of good admin
Community Leader
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Nearly three years ago I detailed how I modified my stock recteq (rectec at the time) bull smoker in the How to do the Rec Tec wheel mod. This mod worked pretty well but there were a few things that started to bother me - such as the air up tires and having to make sure they were at the proper pressure and the lack of any real storage other than a wide open wire shelf.

After seeing the My Version Of The Competition Cart build thread from @Mastertech59 that got me thinking and this is my build...

My custom RecTeq RT-700 cart

Parts Used:

I knew I wanted something with a wider stance than my original cart had. So using the 1.5" square tube, I made a 36" x 24" frame. The 1" angle iron was added to give the back of the Crescent Jobox more support on the back.

On the bottom of this frame, mounting holes were drilled and then bolts pushed through and welded into place for the 5" heavy duty casters to mount to.

01-bottom-frame.jpg

Next up was the Crescent Jobox top. This top was made from 1"x1"x1/8" angle iron and 18 gauge metal to give it a nice flat surface. Custom mount brackets was also made and then welded to this top using 1"x1" square tubing and 3/16" flat metal.

02-top-mount.jpg

After getting the mounts in place, the top primed and painted. It was then attached to the top of the Crescent Jobox using 2x 5/16" bolts which would be completely hidden by the Rectec Bull once in place.

You might have noticed the front two mounts are hanging over the top. This is because the Crescent Jobox door is so thick and RecTeq front shelf would not have been usable. With the mount pushed forward just a hair the front shelf now works without issue.

03-top-mount-attached.jpg

The next part was removing the Recteq Bull from the old cart and placing it on it's new cart. My hands were a bit full during that period so I don't have pictures of that. ;)

But I do have pictures of the final result and I think it turned out pretty darn okay.

04-finished-shelf-down.jpg

And here it is with the front shelf up.

05-recteq-custom-cart-finished.jpg

Having four 5" swivel casters is SO much nicer. The grill turns on a dime now and I can easily place smoker anywhere I want without a lot of driving back and forth trying to get it just right.

The extra width of the new cart is fantastic and has made a night and day difference in stability - and that's comparing it to what I had before with the wheel mod.

Next step is to create some shelving inside of the jobox to give me even more storage without just throwing everything in a big box.

Huge thanks to my dad for his ideas and work on the cart!

Nearly three years ago I detailed how I modified my stock recteq (rectec at the time) bull smoker in the How to do the Rec Tec wheel mod. This mod worked pretty well but there were a few things that started to bother me - such as the air up tires and having to make sure they were at the proper pressure and the lack of any real storage other than a wide open wire shelf.

After seeing the My Version Of The Competition Cart build thread from @Mastertech59 that got me thinking and this is my build...

Parts Used:

I knew I wanted something with a wider stance than my original cart had. So using the 1.5" square tube, I made a 36" x 24" frame. The 1" angle iron was added to give the back of the Crescent Jobox more support on the back.

On the bottom of this frame, mounting holes were drilled and then bolts pushed through and welded into place for the 5" heavy duty casters to mount to.

View attachment 8757

Next up was the Crescent Jobox top. This top was made from 1"x1"x1/8" angle iron and 18 gauge metal to give it a nice flat surface. Custom mount brackets was also made and then welded to this top using 1"x1" square tubing and 3/16" flat metal.

View attachment 8758

After getting the mounts in place, the top primed and painted. It was then attached to the top of the Crescent Jobox using 2x 5/16" bolts which would be completely hidden by the Rectec Bull once in place.

You might have noticed the front two mounts are hanging over the top. This is because the Crescent Jobox door is so thick and RecTeq front shelf would not have been usable. With the mount pushed forward just a hair the front shelf now works without issue.

View attachment 8759

The next part was removing the Recteq Bull from the old cart and placing it on it's new cart. My hands were a bit full during that period so I don't have pictures of that. ;)

But I do have pictures of the final result and I think it turned out pretty darn okay.

View attachment 8760

View attachment 8761

Having four 5" swivel casters is SO much nicer. The grill turns on a dime now and I can easily place smoker anywhere I want without a lot of driving back and forth trying to get it just right.

The extra width of the new cart is fantastic and has made a night and day difference in stability - and that's comparing it to what I had before with the wheel mod.

Next step is to create some shelving inside of the jobox to give me even more storage without just throwing everything in a big box.

My, my, my look what you did. That turned out sharp. Thank you for sharing. 👍🏼

Mike nice looking cart your going to love the extra storage and yes 4 casters are the way to go "turns on a dime" is a huge benefit.

Hey Mike that turned out great! I have the comp cart but would love some storage.
Your cart looks taller than either the stock legs or the comp cart which would be nice. I’m curious what the measurement is from ground to cooking grate.

Parts Used:

View attachment 8757

View attachment 8758

View attachment 8759

View attachment 8760

View attachment 8761

Do you have a side picture? ** is there anything you would have done different now that you have completed your mission to build a BAD @$$ stand?

Parts Used:

View attachment 8757

View attachment 8758

View attachment 8759

View attachment 8760

View attachment 8761

Mike,

Let me know when production starts and price.

@Mike ...man great job bud!!..love it !...I been dreaming up something for myself also... What is your grate height now? Just curious...
Great Job !

I'm 6'2" almost 6'3" on a good day and the extra height these tool boxes give is great I love it, the Bulls original cooking grate height was 32 inches and now it's at 39.5 inches.

Attachments

• 20200529_121945.jpg
    20200529_121945.jpg
    940.7 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
@Waterboy and @Buckeye smoker - My grill grate now sits at 39 3/4". Actually now thinking about it, when I did the original wheel mod I gained a bit of height and now this new cart is a very noticeable difference compared to the wheel mod... comparing it to the original factory setup - oh man this would be a massive difference.

@fullhouse32 here is a side shot as well as a picture of it with the factory grill cover on.

rec-teq-grill-custom-cart-side-view.jpg

rec-tec-grill-cover.jpg

In terms of doing anything different - for the actual build, no nothing. I'm very happy with how it all came together and I feel it's built like a tank right now. Short of wedging your foot against the front of it and pulling very hard this thing just simply won't tip over. It's incredibly stable.

I don't consider this build 100% complete either. I didn't post pictures of the inside of the box because it's just a big empty box right now. My plans are to use some 1/2" or 3/4" plywood and make some shelves for the inside and I'm also planning on adding either a 1 or 2 gang outdoor rated electric box to the outside of the box with a very heavy duty pig tail coming out of it to plug into any of my other outdoor outlets.

Then using the 1 or 2 gang box I would have power for the grill and anything else I need or want right at the grill... maybe a light or something else?! :)

@Waterboy and @Buckeye smoker - My grill grate now sits at 39 3/4". Actually now thinking about it, when I did the original wheel mod I gained a bit of height and now this new cart is a very noticeable difference compared to the wheel mod... comparing it to the original factory setup - oh man this would be a massive difference.

@fullhouse32 here is a side shot as well as a picture of it with the factory grill cover on.

View attachment 8775

View attachment 8776

In terms of doing anything different - for the actual build, no nothing. I'm very happy with how it all came together and I feel it's built like a tank right now. Short of wedging your foot against the front of it and pulling very hard this thing just simply won't tip over. It's incredibly stable.

I don't consider this build 100% complete either. I didn't post pictures of the inside of the box because it's just a big empty box right now. My plans are to use some 1/2" or 3/4" plywood and make some shelves for the inside and I'm also planning on adding either a 1 or 2 gang outdoor rated electric box to the outside of the box with a very heavy duty pig tail coming out of it to plug into any of my other outdoor outlets.

Then using the 1 or 2 gang box I would have power for the grill and anything else I need or want right at the grill... maybe a light or something else?! :)
Mike,
Is that a Butt plug in that grill ???

Mike that is a awesome build! I like the fact you will now have a place for organized storage unlike the rubber maid container I have. Looks better and definitely more usable then the competition stand. Just checked and the JOBOX is currently unavailable on Amazon!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back