Melted Auger

DRock3d

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-1250
So I just got my Recteq assembled, it's finish didn't arrive perfect but it's a grill I guess.....Not a cheap one though

I did the burn in at 400 degrees for an hour as instructed, then I went to do my first cook a few days later and saw this when foiling the pan:

20230717_175043.jpg
20230717_175050.jpg

Hopefully that was safe to cook on

For what it's worth, if there was paint/powder coating on my fire pot, I obviously burned it off a long time ago. No adverse effect on any of my cooks.

I guess why powder coat it then? I used to do some powder coating and the hi-temp powder is somewhat vulnerable to being stored properly and usually has to be used in a short time. I read a post somewhere where the guy's entire lid peeled like this. Judging by this and the voids in some of the powder coating on the rest of the grill corners have been cut.

I guess why powder coat it then? I used to do some powder coating and the hi-temp powder is somewhat vulnerable to being stored properly and usually has to be used in a short time. I read a post somewhere where the guy's entire lid peeled like this. Judging by this and the voids in some of the powder coating on the rest of the grill corners have been cut.
"Corners have been cut?" In China? Say it isn't so. :unsure:

I guess why powder coat it then?
I completely agree. This is not the only case. I got a beautiful (free) black charcoal basket when I bought a PK grill. One cook with hot mesquite lump charcoal and the color got burned off to bare aluminum. I guess people make things look pretty even though they know they won't stay that way in use.

Not all powdercoating jobs are equal, the quality of powder and heat cycles are very important for longevity and performance.........mine doesn't look like that at all, even after MANY cooks.

Not all powdercoating jobs are equal, the quality of powder and heat cycles are very important for longevity and performance.........mine doesn't look like that at all, even after MANY cooks.
I checked mine last night and it still looks like the day I first assembled the grill. Maybe a little seasoning but no peeling. And I have used the GMG Pizza Oven which sits right down in the fire pot.

So I just got my Recteq assembled, it's finish didn't arrive perfect but it's a grill I guess.....Not a cheap one though

I did the burn in at 400 degrees for an hour as instructed, then I went to do my first cook a few days later and saw this when foiling the pan:

View attachment 19666View attachment 19667

Hopefully that was safe to cook on
This is wild, I’m one of the rare owners that does more high temp cooks than low, and I’ve had nothing like this happen to mine. I’d say 6/10 times I’m cooking at 500+.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back