RT-1250 Powder Coating Melted on Max Temp

I just ordered one but I think if the 700 doesn't sense 175 degrees in 20 min it will shutdown thinking it did not ignite. For that reason I plan to keep it closed and also to keep as much heat in as well.

Since the 700 will max out at 600 I also wonder how the heat will affect the RTD. I'm thinking maybe it will actually run hotter as most of the heat is directed into the pizza oven and probably exhausted and not circulated. Just my thoughts.. have not used yet.

The 1250 will go over 700 so the limits are higher. I do have the 3 RPM auger motor in my 700 so expect 600 would not be any issue. I plan to use an infrared thermometer to see stone temps also.

Enjoy.. post your results. I can't wait to get mine.
Found this on YouTube, GMG pizza attachment on RT700:

Cool. I normally just use pizza stones on the 700. Works for me. It already has a lid. ;)

Found this on YouTube, GMG pizza attachment on RT700:

Nice find! A little concerning about the middle heat. I probably like my top a little more done but that bottom was burning. Hoping maybe it was that take & bake. We'll see :).

Good information...I called local dealers and they didn't know about this promotion. One looked at the website and said they would honor the price and work it out with GMG later. So I am now the proud owner a pizza oven for my 700.

One question for those who use it: do you close the cover of the Bull while the pizza stone is heating up? Not sure how the temperature setting could work with the cover open. I will try using an IR thermometer on the stone to monitor its temperature as the oven instructions recommend.
I cover the lid while I wait for the stone to heat up. I set the temperature at 375 degrees for an hour and the stone reads around 700 degrees. The temperature chart in the GMG Pizza manual is not accurate for the 1250.

Nice find! A little concerning about the middle heat. I probably like my top a little more done but that bottom was burning. Hoping maybe it was that take & bake. We'll see :).
The bottom def cooks faster than the top due to the design. I've read on other forums that people put their pizza on a screen half way through the cook to prevent this from happening.

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=48483.20

Another person has modified the pizza attachment kit by installing a stone on the top to cook more evenly.

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=48483.0

The bottom def cooks faster than the top due to the design. I've read on other forums that people put their pizza on a screen half way through the cook to prevent this from happening.

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=48483.20

Another person has modified the pizza attachment kit by installing a stone on the top to cook more evenly.

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=48483.0

Some useful tips.. I'm wondering if something like closing off the front 3/4 of the way might not help with the top and even it out a bit. I might start off with trying some foil and if things work out maybe build some kind of door. We'll see I guess :). I'm even thinking of a thicker steel plate underneath.

I tried it for the first time last night with mixed results....it didn't look too good but it tasted great. I initially set the temp to 350 but turned it up to 400 because the stone wasn't heating up quickly. Outside emperature was about 60. When the stone hit 625 on the IR thermometer I put the pizza in. The problem was it was a little to large and I didn't realize some of the dough fell over the edge of the stone on the back. That hardened up and when I tried to turn the pizza it was like a hook preventing movement causing the pizza rip. I did not have any burning on the bottom...only the edge that was overhanging the stone. It's going to take some experimenting with temps but l'm encouraged I will figure it out.
20220130_181703.jpg

I tried it for the first time last night with mixed results....it didn't look too good but it tasted great. I initially set the temp to 350 but turned it up to 400 because the stone wasn't heating up quickly. Outside emperature was about 60. When the stone hit 625 on the IR thermometer I put the pizza in. The problem was it was a little to large and I didn't realize some of the dough fell over the edge of the stone on the back. That hardened up and when I tried to turn the pizza it was like a hook preventing movement causing the pizza rip. I did not have any burning on the bottom...only the edge that was overhanging the stone. It's going to take some experimenting with temps but l'm encouraged I will figure it out. View attachment 14641

That gives me hope.. the top does look perfect and if the bottom wasn't burned I call it a success with a crispy piece for those that want an extra crunch for a bite or 2 :). It was planned ;).

I received my new 1250 today. The barrel (stainless steel) had 3 visible protruding dings above the shelf. Unfortunately, I noticed the damages after I built it! Recteq is willing to ship out another grill, but I did not want to go through the hassle of packing/shipping and building another smoker again. The initial smoker that I bought also had 2 protruding dents, but they were on the backside of the smoker, so didn't bother me too much. Reqtec did provide me a credit for the scratches and dents on my initial unit. I rather deal with the melted powder coating than the 3 visible dings on the front. Rectec will send me a new accessory of my choice, anything except for the competition cart, or smokebox for my trouble.

What should I get?

BTW, my GMG pizza stone cracked last night. GMG is sending me a new pizza stone through the warranty process.

I received my new 1250 today. The barrel (stainless steel) had 3 visible protruding dings above the shelf. Unfortunately, I noticed the damages after I built it! Recteq is willing to ship out another grill, but I did not want to go through the hassle of packing/shipping and building another smoker again. The initial smoker that I bought also had 2 protruding dents, but they were on the backside of the smoker, so didn't bother me too much. Reqtec did provide me a credit for the scratches and dents on my initial unit. I rather deal with the melted powder coating than the 3 visible dings on the front. Rectec will send me a new accessory of my choice, anything except for the competition cart, or smokebox for my trouble.

What should I get?

BTW, my GMG pizza stone cracked last night. GMG is sending me a new pizza stone through the warranty process.

Oh man sorry about the troubles.. For an accessory how about a BFG? I mean the argument is there it can be used as an accessory to the 1250 😁. IDK.. I think I would still have an issue and want it replaced.. there is not an accessory that would be ok in my mind taking away the cart & smoke box. Just my 2 cents.

How did the stone break? Glad they are taking care of you. I'm SOL I think on that one with the demo unit if it were to happen.

Oh man sorry about the troubles.. For an accessory how about a BFG? I mean the argument is there it can be used as an accessory to the 1250 😁. IDK.. I think I would still have an issue and want it replaced.. there is not an accessory that would be ok in my mind taking away the cart & smoke box. Just my 2 cents.

How did the stone break? Glad they are taking care of you. I'm SOL I think on that one with the demo unit if it were to happen.
Thanks. BFG would be awesome. I would have them ship another one, but there probably is a good chance there will be another ding on it. I believe the dings are caused by the grill parts inside the drum, pushing against the steel on the barrel when the manufacture packs it.

I wanted to see how hot the stone would get at the max temperature (I know it was stupid of me lol) since I was not going to turn the new smoker all the way. The probe on the smoker was 621 degrees after 21 minuets. I opened the lid to read the stone temperature and saw it cracked in half. The stone was around 1200 degrees. The good thing is that the powder coating did not bubble up or melt.

GMG did not ask me for a receipt, so you should be covered under warranty, even if you bought it as a demo. Just don't tell them that.

They asked me the following questions below. My responses are highlighted in yellow. I I thought the last question was a trick question to void my warranty, so I answered the way I did lol.

GMG.jpg

Thanks. BFG would be awesome. I would have them ship another one, but there probably is a good chance there will be another ding on it. I believe the dings are caused by the grill parts inside the drum, pushing against the steel on the barrel when the manufacture packs it.

I wanted to see how hot the stone would get at the max temperature (I know it was stupid of me lol) since I was not going to turn the new smoker all the way. The probe on the smoker was 621 degrees after 21 minuets. I opened the lid to read the stone temperature and saw it cracked in half. The stone was around 1200 degrees. The good thing is that the powder coating did not bubble up or melt.

GMG did not ask me for a receipt, so you should be covered under warranty, even if you bought it as a demo. Just don't tell them that.

They asked me the following questions below. My responses are highlighted in yellow. I I thought the last question was a trick question to void my warranty, so I answered the way I did lol.

View attachment 14694

Good to know GMG handled it without any troubles.. I'm sure things like this don't cost them much and keeps customers happy.

That is pretty hot for sure. The temptation will be hard to resist cranking it up but I'll learn from your experience. Thanks for sharing

For the price of the 1250, honestly I’d just keep having RecTeq ship you new units until you get one that’s not damaged, especially since it’s clear you just want a comp cart to be happy. How many 1250s do they have to send you before the comp cart would have just been easier for them? Are they telling you that you have to disassemble your current one to ship it back? I’d tell them to pound sand. If you already assembled the 2nd one, can’t they just pick it up “as is” instead of having to break it all down? I don’t think you should have to accept anything but a dent free 1250.

For the price of the 1250, honestly I’d just keep having RecTeq ship you new units until you get one that’s not damaged, especially since it’s clear you just want a comp cart to be happy. How many 1250s do they have to send you before the comp cart would have just been easier for them? Are they telling you that you have to disassemble your current one to ship it back? I’d tell them to pound sand. If you already assembled the 2nd one, can’t they just pick it up “as is” instead of having to break it all down? I don’t think you should have to accept anything but a dent free 1250.
Thanks for your feedback. Actually, I did not want a competition cart. I just thought it would be more cost effective for Recteq to send me a competition cart instead of a shipping out a new unit and returning the old one. However, another member pointed out a competition or regular cart wouldn't fix the melted powder coating between the bottom of the barrel and folding shelf. I did not realize this until he pointed it out. I prefer the original cart with the shelf since I keep the GMG pizza attachment on all the time and can store both racks, drip pan and heat deflector on the shelf. I have a 1" clearance between the hooks and brick wall, so I am not able to hang the racks due to the clearance.

I asked Recteq for the competition cart once and never asked for it again. The customer service agent from Wednesday is the one who actually told me that I can get any accessory for my trouble, expect for the competition cart due to the price. I assumed that I would not be able to get the smokebox based on the price and availability. However, I spoke to the agent today and he provided me with 3 options. The first is to ship out a new unit. The second is a $150.00 credit and the 3rd (which I asked) is to preorder a smokebox which can take up to 8 months or longer to arrive. I already received a $300.00 credit for the damages on my initial smoker. I purchased the 1250 for $1,551.35 during the Black Friday Sale. My final price for the 1250 with a smokebox is $1,251.35. With this type of discount, I can deal with the cosmetic issue on the powder coating.

I agree 100% the smoker should not have any dents. Recteq has one of the best customer service that I've delt with. The smoker works great and I love it. They just need to work on their Quality Control. I hope the smokerbox in the future will not be scratched or dented.

Below are the directions that they provided :
1. Remove the legs and bottom shelf from the grill.
2. Place them inside the grill.
3. Secure the grill to the pallet using rope, twine, or straps. Please secure the lid so that it can’t open.
4. Box grill up, if you do not have a box, please surround grill with cardboard and tape as shown in the pictures below.
5. Print two copies of the attached BOL. One copy is attached to the grill while the other is for the driver.
6. Notify me when you have the grill ready for pickup, I will set it up with Saia.

clip_image003.jpg

clip_image004.jpg

Last edited:
The powder coating bubbled/melted on the lid of my 340 but that was because I was searing the fatty side of a picanha and it caught fire. The lid was exposed to direct flame.

Edit: I cleaned off the peeling paint after it cooled. Sanded the area and applied a couple coats of high temp primer then followed up with high temp black paint. I sold the grill so no pics but it looked good and stopped it from rusting.

Attachments

• 84A4F2C2-C37F-4000-B829-8ACCFDDB0947.jpeg
    84A4F2C2-C37F-4000-B829-8ACCFDDB0947.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 79
  • A901F83B-6614-4D4A-BB1C-3D8F33B0F5C9.jpeg
    A901F83B-6614-4D4A-BB1C-3D8F33B0F5C9.jpeg
    224.1 KB · Views: 87
  • 1DDAAF7C-5C15-4813-A11F-0A4929E2C63F.jpeg
    1DDAAF7C-5C15-4813-A11F-0A4929E2C63F.jpeg
    264.7 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Recteq is going to send new smoker. I will have to ship the old one back. I tried to get them to provide me with a Competition Cart instead since it will be more cost effective, but they wouldn't do it.
So YOU have to pay shipping back to them???

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back