Meatflation is real

1668803149892.png

Boneless animals are much harder to raise, thus the increased price.

In all sincerity, I get the OP’s post. Last week I bought a 14“ turkey AND a turkey breast, and the breast cost more than the entire turkey. I could have purchased two whole turkeys, thrown away the dark meet of one, and been money ahead.

Commercially available breasts, like butterball, are not available in my area, only roasts.

Publix had frozen turkeys last week .49/lb. By the time I made my store run all that was left were 3 30lb birds and a handful of 10lbs. Grabbed a 12 lb hidden in another case. Tomorrow I’m going to a different store for the ham and another bird or 2 depending on price. Not looking forward to the prices.

I was at Costco at noon today. They had organic, farm raised, and good old Butterball. When I picked up mine (Butterball) there were about 40 at 20bs and greater and about 15 between 16-20lbs. I picked up an 18.5lb ‘er, left that area to pick up a couple of full packer briskets ( they had to bring a better selection from the back, COSTCO RULES for customer service) and some boneless pork butts. When I went back to see what the turkey bin looked like it was picked clean of the B-Balls. They were only $0.99/lb with a 5 item maximum. No one was hoarding but everyone was grabbing anything they could. Interestingly, the “healthier” options were still in good supply.

Speaking of fowl, I noted that Costco had chicken thighs for $1.49/lb and the whole chickens were about twice that price or more. Since I was buying for supplementing my dog's dry food, I went with the thighs. They de-bone way easier anyway. A half restaurant tray full of them for 2 1/2 hrs/350F and they are fall off the bone.

Speaking of fowl, I noted that Costco had chicken thighs for $1.49/lb and the whole chickens were about twice that price or more. Since I was buying for supplementing my dog's dry food, I went with the thighs. They de-bone way easier anyway. A half restaurant tray full of them for 2 1/2 hrs/350F and they are fall off the bone.
I have also noted the difference in prices. Often the dark meat is fattier and considered less healthy because of the fat content and is cheaper. Chicken breasts are the usually more per pound than the other parts. Either way, the pooch will be very happy, lol.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back