Shit just got real

hallsofmontezuma

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
This will be my first Snake River Farms brisket. Wish me luck!
:)

IMG_4299.jpeg
IMG_4298.jpeg

good luck man. that should be a great brisket. i would be curious what you do to it and what temps you cook at. i want to do my first brisket soon!

good luck man. that should be a great brisket. i would be curious what you do to it and what temps you cook at. i want to do my first brisket soon!
I haven't decided exactly what rub to use, I may just do salt/pepper, or I may add a bit of paprika.
This is for dinner Saturday night, so I'll probably smoke it at 225 when I go to bed Friday night and check the status in the morning.

Let us know if it was worth it. Good luck!

Thanks guys. My main concern now is what time I should start cooking it for dinner on Saturday night. I was originally planning to start Friday night before bed, but I'm worried it will be done too soon and that starting Saturday morning will be too late to start.

Get it rolling about 10 pm with backup digital thermometer alarms (hot/cold temps set) and let her buck. If done early, can always wrap and put in insulated cooler for 3-4 hrs if need be. Good luck. . .

I agree on before bed for this one. It looks like you have 19 pounds before any trimming. That is a pretty good sized one. Making me think I need to order one too.

I'd start at 10pm at 200 degrees. Let it ride low and slow. Check it in the morning around 7 or 8. If you have the color/bark your looking for and temps between 155-165 wrap it in butcher paper. Once you wrap, crank your temp to 230 and pull once probe tender usually around 203 internal temp. MOST IMPORTANT! Let it Rest. Keep it in your cooler wrapped in a towel for 2 to 3 hours. Better to let it rest longer then start the cook late and have dry brisket. Keep us updated and good luck!

Great looking piece of meat. I agree, start it on Friday night between 10-11 at 225. It should be at close to stall when you wake up so you can wrap and set for the next phase. I like to use Montreal Steak Seasoning on my brisket for that added garlic and onion flavors. Not to steal the thread, but had leftover sliced brisket from the freezer last night. Hmm Hmm good. Good luck with the cook, I am sure it will come out fantastic.

I'd start at 10pm at 200 degrees. Let it ride low and slow. Check it in the morning around 7 or 8. If you have the color/bark your looking for and temps between 155-165 wrap it in butcher paper. Once you wrap, crank your temp to 230 and pull once probe tender usually around 203 internal temp. MOST IMPORTANT! Let it Rest. Keep it in your cooler wrapped in a towel for 2 to 3 hours. Better to let it rest longer then start the cook late and have dry brisket. Keep us updated and good luck!
My understanding is that you won't get much bark at 200.
I'm also concerned about it being done too soon, and then having to hold it for too long. I wouldn't want to hold for more than a few hours. Resting isn't really necessary.
I'm kind of thinking to put it on at 6am at 250, then crank up to 300 at the wrap. I'd hope it should be done by dinnertime that way.

"Big"slab of meat, don't think I would count on it being done if put on in Am.You can always regulate temp in the Am if needs to speed up or slow down the cook. 225° and you'll be golden

I'm also concerned about it being done too soon, and then having to hold it for too long. I wouldn't want to hold for more than a few hours. Resting isn't really necessary.
I'm kind of thinking to put it on at 6am at 250, then crank up to 300 at the wrap. I'd hope it should be done by dinnertime that way.
Bark is definitely achievable at lower temperatures. Take a look at my post two weeks ago on page 19 and 20. I updated times and temperatures throughout the cook along with some pictures. On page 20 we'll see a picture of the finished product and definitely achieved a decent bark.

Post in thread 'Show us what you're cooking...' https://www.recteqforum.com/threads/show-us-what-youre-cooking.2925/post-41317

Resting is probably one of the most important parts of the whole cook. If that brisket doesn't have time to rest and pull all the juices back into the meat you're going to have yourself an expensive slab of dry brisket.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/the-importance-of-resting/

Bark is definitely achievable at lower temperatures. Take a look at my post two weeks ago on page 19 and 20. I updated times and temperatures throughout the cook along with some pictures. On page 20 we'll see a picture of the finished product and definitely achieved a decent bark.

Post in thread 'Show us what you're cooking...' https://www.recteqforum.com/threads/show-us-what-youre-cooking.2925/post-41317
That's a nice-looking brisket. Was it 13# before or after trimming?

Resting is probably one of the most important parts of the whole cook. If that brisket doesn't have time to rest and pull all the juices back into the meat you're going to have yourself an expensive slab of dry brisket.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/the-importance-of-resting/
I'm a fan of Meathead at amazingribs, and he always says no need to rest meats, that the difference in lost moisture is insignificant.
https://amazingribs.com/more-techni...e-juiciness-why-resting-and-holding-meat-are/

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back