Shit just got real

To avoid confusion don't cook this:

images.jpg

I guess it shows the jury is still out on resting LOL! I do know that a longer rest is never going to HURT a brisket. None of the central TX hot spots serve brisket any less than 4 hours of resting (its usually done the night before and "held" for the next day so up to 8-10 hours rest). That is more for operations rather than product quality, but it definitely doesn't hurt the product. I am also in the "rest" camp, but a min of an hour with no max. In my experience, if you get it probe tender and get it off the pit (dont go too long past probe tender) and keep it wrapped, you can hold a brisket in a cooler for sure or a warm oven (165F) even better for many hours. I also know that briskets are a crap shoot from a timing standpoint. I like to say that you dont tell a brisket when its time to eat, a brisket allows you to eat it when its too tired to fight back. For a big one like that, it could be anywhere between 18 and 26 hours. That of course depends on your temps. If you go the standard 225 for the whole smoke, I would guess on the high end of that range. The real variable in a brisket is the type and amount of connective tissue in the marbeling of the meat. Collagen is long and stringy and tough and takes a while at temp (160ish) to break down into gelatin (what you want, moist brisket luxurious brisket is essentially meaty smoky jello). That is actually what the stall is. Kind of like when melting ice, you keep dumping in heat, but the water temp stays at 32F. The brisket is using all of the added heat to convert collagen to gelatin. Then when most of it is broken down, the meat temp starts to rise. Now its not an actual phase change like water, but similar concept.

Good luck, cant wait for the pics!

I haven't decided exactly what rub to use, I may just do salt/pepper, or I may add a bit of paprika.
This is for dinner Saturday night, so I'll probably smoke it at 225 when I go to bed Friday night and check the status in the morning.
HEFFER DUST and inject it with beef broth.

Just a thought, at 250F on the RT-700, there isn't a lot of smoke. 225F has a noticable increase in smoke. Of course you can always add a smoke tube.

What wood species are you planning on using? I'm a fan of mesquite for beef.
Whenever I need more smoke I put my Grill Grates in and sprinkle some pellets on them. Some people also put them on the heat deflector.
I guess it shows the jury is still out on resting LOL! I do know that a longer rest is never going to HURT a brisket. None of the central TX hot spots serve brisket any less than 4 hours of resting (its usually done the night before and "held" for the next day so up to 8-10 hours rest). That is more for operations rather than product quality, but it definitely doesn't hurt the product. I am also in the "rest" camp, but a min of an hour with no max. In my experience, if you get it probe tender and get it off the pit (dont go too long past probe tender) and keep it wrapped, you can hold a brisket in a cooler for sure or a warm oven (165F) even better for many hours. I also know that briskets are a crap shoot from a timing standpoint. I like to say that you dont tell a brisket when its time to eat, a brisket allows you to eat it when its too tired to fight back. For a big one like that, it could be anywhere between 18 and 26 hours. That of course depends on your temps. If you go the standard 225 for the whole smoke, I would guess on the high end of that range. The real variable in a brisket is the type and amount of connective tissue in the marbeling of the meat. Collagen is long and stringy and tough and takes a while at temp (160ish) to break down into gelatin (what you want, moist brisket luxurious brisket is essentially meaty smoky jello). That is actually what the stall is. Kind of like when melting ice, you keep dumping in heat, but the water temp stays at 32F. The brisket is using all of the added heat to convert collagen to gelatin. Then when most of it is broken down, the meat temp starts to rise. Now its not an actual phase change like water, but similar concept.

Good luck, cant wait for the pics!
Interestingly in Aaron Franklin’s masterclass he says not to have a long hold in a cooler, just a short rest wrapped in butcher paper in the counter.
Of course this may be one of the many examples of him being contradictory, because he holds them for a very long time in his restaurant, as you mentioned.

It's 19lb pre-trim. I expect to trim off several pounds of fat. :)
At 250 and 300 there's no way it takes 1.5 hours per pound.
The reason you cook low and slow is because brisket is a tough cut. You have to cook long enough to render the fat. Cooking hot and fast won’t achieve this. Not only will it be dry, it’ll be tough. That’s the best way to ruin briskets.

Juiciness in meat is not water. It’s rendered fat. If you don’t cook it properly, you won’t render the fat and end up with dry meat. If the fat is not rendered in a tough cut like a brisket, it’ll be tough as well.

The reason you cook low and slow is because brisket is a tough cut. You have to cook long enough to render the fat. Cooking hot and fast won’t achieve this. Not only will it be dry, it’ll be tough. That’s the best way to ruin briskets.

Juiciness in meat is not water. It’s rendered fat. If you don’t cook it properly, you won’t render the fat and end up with dry meat. If the fat is not rendered in a tough cut like a brisket, it’ll be tough as well.
Well the great thing about cooking is that we’re always learning more and trends change over time. Hot and fast brisket cooks are becoming more popular these days as people realize they can achieve basically the same results as low and slow. People are even winning competitions with it.
It’s not even new, people have been cooking brisket in the oven at 300 or so for generations.

Last edited:
Just to circle back to your original post...have fun with that awesome looking brisket. I have never done one from SRF but I think it is time. Smoked salmon for me this weekend, as that is the request from wife and mother in law.

Just to circle back to your original post...have fun with that awesome looking brisket. I have never done one from SRF but I think it is time. Smoked salmon for me this weekend, as that is the request from wife and mother in law.
Thanks, I’m excited to see the difference a SRF Wagyu makes.
I’d love to see the photos from your salmon cook. I wish I could find Oro around here. The best I’ve ever seen is Chinook at Whole Foods. :)

Thanks, I’m excited to see the difference a SRF Wagyu makes.
I’d love to see the photos from your salmon cook. I wish I could find Oro around here. The best I’ve ever seen is Chinook at Whole Foods. :)
@hallsofmontezuma I got a tenderloin from SNF for Easter, It was my first tenderloin on the 590. It was amazing. The meat was so tender, juicy and flavorful. It is a little pricey, but it was my pandemic treat! Now that I am enjoying grilling more, we are eating out much less.

I looked at the brisket for Mothers day, but I found a local butcher that I want to support and they only sell prime beef.

Did you get the black or the gold?

I hope your cook comes out great and your family enjoys it! Keep us posted, I will post my results tomorrow!

@hallsofmontezuma I got a tenderloin from SNF for Easter, It was my first tenderloin on the 590. It was amazing. The meat was so tender, juicy and flavorful. It is a little pricey, but it was my pandemic treat! Now that I am enjoying grilling more, we are eating out much less.

I looked at the brisket for Mothers day, but I found a local butcher that I want to support and they only sell prime beef.
I've got a few wagyu steaks from SRF for Mother's Day. It's what the wife requested. :)
Yeah now that we're eating out a bit less (which is probably good for my waistline anyway) I've been trying to buy and try cooking everything I can and broaden my culinary horizons.
Did you get the black or the gold?
It doesn't say, but I assume it's black. I bought it from a local butcher who orders from them regularly and it's just "SFR Wagyu brisket".

I hope your cook comes out great and your family enjoys it! Keep us posted, I will post my results tomorrow!
Thanks, I did this one a bit differently. I usually wrap going into the stall, but I figured with wagyu I had a bit more wiggle room so I didn't wrap until well after the stall was over and I was into the 190s. The bark is probably the best I've ever done.

I'd start at 10pm at 200 degrees. Let it ride low and slow. Check it in the morning around 7 or 8. If you have the color/bark your looking for and temps between 155-165 wrap it in butcher paper. Once you wrap, crank your temp to 230 and pull once probe tender usually around 203 internal temp. MOST IMPORTANT! Let it Rest. Keep it in your cooler wrapped in a towel for 2 to 3 hours. Better to let it rest longer then start the cook late and have dry brisket. Keep us updated and good luck!
This is the way!

Hot and fast brisket cooks are becoming more popular these days as people realize they can achieve basically the same results as low and slow. People are even winning competitions with it.
No offence, but I'm not sure how one gets good Smoke and rendered Fat penetration cooking Brisket fast (?)
To me, Brisket is all about the Smoke, the Bark and the juicy tenderness
When I want good Brisket, I don't want an expensive cut of Roast Beef
Like Prime Rib
I'll never cook a $175.00 Prime Roast as if it was a $2.00 a pound Pot Roast !

Hell, I would start early on the "Lo" setting to infuse smoke and ride that until bark is set. Once bark is set wrap in butcher paper with some of the rendered down trimmings made into tallow on the paper, now moving the RT-700 up to 225°F. Ride that until 203°F-207°F internal. Then rest for 4 hours minimum till about 145°F internal. I am in no hurries and pellets are cheap.

Hell, I would start early on the "Lo" setting to infuse smoke and ride that until bark is set.
When I first started smoking brisket, I did my first few on Low/180 until I wrapped at the stall. They turned out dry. While it's certainly possible being at 180 for so long wasn't the culprit and I made other mistakes, I abandoned ever doing anything at 180 other than for very short periods of time.
As I improved with more cooks, I never found the need to cook at 180. All my food still gets plenty of smoke flavor whether cooked at 225 or 325+ or somewhere in between, although I do cheat a bit and add pellets to the GrillGrates and sometimes to the heat deflector if I don't forget. ;)

When I first started smoking brisket, I did my first few on Low/180 until I wrapped at the stall. They turned out dry. While it's certainly possible being at 180 for so long wasn't the culprit and I made other mistakes, I abandoned ever doing anything at 180 other than for very short periods of time.
As I improved with more cooks, I never found the need to cook at 180. All my food still gets plenty of smoke flavor whether cooked at 225 or 325+ or somewhere in between, although I do cheat a bit and add pellets to the GrillGrates and sometimes to the heat deflector if I don't forget. ;)
What time did you start cooking the SRF Brisket?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back