Real low and slow Butt

Gonefishin

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
I normally put a 6 ish lb butt on around 01:00 @225 which gives m e a finish of around 4-5. I’m thinking of putting on one tonight at 9pm @180 or 200 so I don’t have to get up in the middle of the night. Has anyone tried such, if so when did it finish? any other ideas?

I did a 4.5 pound pork collar (basically the same thing, but a little tougher cut) at 200 and it took me about 15 hours. It looks like I bumped up to 225 towards the end. I started at 9:30pm and pulled at around 1:00pm the next day and rested until dinner. I don't remember it being a great cook, but it wasn't memorable as a bad cook either.

thanks. If I guess at 3 hrs a pound, mine will be 18. On at 9, off at 3, not bad, think I’ll give it a shot. worse case it’ll be lunch instead of dinner.

“I like big butts”… and typically don’t go smaller than 9-10lbs post trim. However, your numbers look about right. If you want to experiment a little, start them at 180 or whatever your maximum smoke level is for the first 2 or 3 hours, then take the temp up for the balance of the cook. It will extend you cook by about 2 hours but the smoke profile will be outstanding as the fat on the butts will absorb all the smoke they can hold.

I’ve done a few hours at low, this is the first time I did it overnight mainly just to extend cook time.

The butt was my first try at Wild Fork, it say average is 4.5! I didn’t notice they were boneless. I usually get ‘‘em at the grocer where bone in’s are 8ish pounds. I’d go with bigger if I ran into them.

Not much for pig farmers in this area.

Hey Padlin:
Here's how we've cooked our Pork Buts:
MEATSMOKER TEMPSMOKING TIMEMEAT TEMPRUBS OR SAUSESMISC INFO
Pork Butt10hrs@Lo + 2-4hrs@25012 - 14 hours190 - 200Garlic Pepper and Salt Blend for 24 hrsRest for 30 mins

Comes out like this:
1672778571614.png

1672778674352.png

1672778729488.png

1672778631679.png

For Father’s Day 2022 I did a 10 lb shoulder from my butcher. Here’s the play by play
-rubbed down with olive oil
-applied Holy Voodoo as the rub
-bull set at 225
-on the pit at 7pm
-6:30 am spritzing with Apple juice/ internal temp at 166
-9:10am raised set pt to 250
-Internal at 175
-spritzing as needed
-10am raised set pt to 300
-10:30 decide to wrap in foil and put in foil pan
-11:15 am probing tender and internal temp at 195
-put in stove to rest covered for 2 hours
- pulled and served. Everyone loved it,
This will be my way going forward.

-

I picked up this tip from a youtube by the "Mad Scientist". Put a few pellets in an empty firepot, the when the brisket or butt is on the grate start the Recteq set to Low. I put two smoke tubes in as well.

As the grill starts up there is LOTS of smoke landing on the cool brisket or butt. Once the grill gets to 180F or so, I let them smoke for a time. (The latest 12 (trimmed) brisket went for 6hrs then I bumped it to 225F)

I found that for me this gets the best smoke on these meats I have gotten on the 590. BB ribs get a standing start as well, but I don't tend to do the pellets in the fire pot part.

Yet another way to address the smoked meat meals.

My challenge with Jeremy’s recommendation is that he apparently likes dirty smoke from a pellet grill. I love his work with the offset smokers, but I think he needs to rethink his approach to pellet grill smoking. BTW, I have met Jeremy at a BBQ event that he hosted here in Kentucky and I think he is great… When discussing offset smoker BBQ! As a suggestion, if you are wanting to try his recommendation, start with a less expensive cut of meat.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back