Shit just got real

I am sorry about Meathead is just plain wrong as others have said, it is very important to rest and I suggest you use FTC as others have mentioned, I have FTC a pork butt for 6 hours.

Everybody has told you low and slow, but for some reason, you are set on hot and fast and no rest. So I suggest you do it that way and then come back and let us know the results, I have a feeling you will be disappointed.

That's a nice-looking brisket. Was it 13# before or after trimming?

I'm a fan of Meathead at amazingribs, and he always says no need to rest meats, that the difference in lost moisture is insignificant.
https://amazingribs.com/more-techni...e-juiciness-why-resting-and-holding-meat-are/
13lb trimmed. Took off about 3 lbs

As for Meathead I'd reach out to them after you cut into your brisket without letting it rest and tell them to stop giving horrible advice. Good luck with your cook

Never cooked a brisket in my life, I am really looking forward to your cook hallsofmontezuma . Please keep us updated.

Starting evening is a good idea. 200-225 seems to work. Wrapping in morning helps. Bumping temp seems ok. Biggest problem is doneness. Recently did a brisket that probed tender at 195 and let go to 203. Overdone and somewhat dry. Trust the probe.

I am sorry about Meathead is just plain wrong as others have said, it is very important to rest and I suggest you use FTC as others have mentioned, I have FTC a pork butt for 6 hours.

Everybody has told you low and slow, but for some reason, you are set on hot and fast and no rest. So I suggest you do it that way and then come back and let us know the results, I have a feeling you will be disappointed.
I’ve cooked plenty of briskets both low and slow and hot and fast (or a hybrid in this case). I’d encourage you to try it and see if you can tell a difference because I sure cant. :)

Starting evening is a good idea. 200-225 seems to work. Wrapping in morning helps. Bumping temp seems ok. Biggest problem is doneness. Recently did a brisket that probed tender at 195 and let go to 203. Overdone and somewhat dry. Trust the probe.
Yep I’ve learned that lesson the hard way. I cook most everything to temp but with brisket you have to stick a toothpick in.

To each there own. To me resting it is one of the most important parts of brisket. I’ve done both hot n fast and low n slow. My preference is 225 with simple salt n pepper rub till it’s probe tender then at least 2 hours wrapped in a towel or 2 and in the cooler.
I’ve held briskets for hours when needed but if it’s time to eat it’s time to eat. :)

Who doesn't love good Brisket debate!

I am cooking my first brisket this weekend. I have been reading watching and trying to learn! Thanks to @Greg Jones for posting the Brisket 101!

This is what I am planning on, any last minute advice is appreciated!

Today I am getting a full packer from my local butcher, Prime between16-18 pounds

We are eating Sunday and everything I had read is give it plenty of time. I have been frying to figure out when to put mine on as well.

1-I am going to trim up, the butcher already spent some time with me showing me what to do!
2-Mustard as a binder, although I have seen several with no binder rub only. I will probably use some salt and pepper, maybe Heffer Dust. Let sit at room temp for an hour or 2.
3-Heat 590 to 225, when ready, put on and cook until bark is set and temp is around 160.
4-Pull and wrap, at this point I really want to use butcher paper, but may just use foil as I really want it juicy. Not sure yet.
5-Back on smoker until brisket is around 195, check tenderness. Pull when probe tender. IT of 195-205?
6-Resting, I am going to wrap in a towel and put in cooler until we are ready to eat.
7-When ready will separate flat and point, cut and serve.

I am allowing 18-20 hours but if it takes longer, OK, that is why I am resting. We have a tight window on eating Sunday and I don't want to stress and this is my first Brisket. I have already accepted the notion of little sleep Saturday night.
If everything goes OK, hopefully will be resting around 9-10 am Sunday and eat around 1!

I do want to make sure it doesn't over cook, I will have the RT probe and another for backup. I have also read that resting will allow it to cool down, but may still cook?

Any suggestions would be appreciated, I really want to keep this simple for my first cook.

Last edited:

I am cooking my first brisket this weekend. I have been reading watching and trying to learn! Thanks to @Greg Jones for posting the Brisket 101!

Today I am getting a full packer from my local butcher, Prime between16-18 pounds

We are eating Sunday and everything I had read is give it plenty of time. I have been frying to figure out when to put mine on as well.

1-I am going to trim up, the butcher already spent some time with me showing me what to do!
2-Mustard as a binder, although I have seen several with no binder rub only. I will probably use some salt and pepper, maybe Heffer Dust. Let sit at room temp for an hour or 2.
3-Heat 590 to 225, when ready, put on and cook until bark is set and temp is around 160.
4-Pull and wrap, at this point I really want to use butcher paper, but may just use foil as I really want it juicy. Not sure yet.
5-Back on smoker until around 195, check tenderness. Pull when probe tender. 195-205?
6-Resting, I am going to wrap in a towel and put in cooler until we are ready to eat.

I am allowing 18-20 hours but if it takes longer, OK, that is why I am resting. We have a tight window on eating Sunday and I don't want to stress and this is my first Brisket. I have already accepted the notion of little sleep Saturday night.
If everything goes OK, hopefully will be resting around 9-10 am Sunday and eat around 1!

I do want to make sure it doesn't over cook, I will have the RT probe and another for backup. I have also read that resting will allow it to cool down, but may still cook?

Any suggestions would be appreciated, I really want to keep this simple for my first cook.
I would invite @Greg Jones over to test taste.

5-Back on smoker until around 195, check tenderness. Pull when probe tender. 195-205?

That's a great plan. Congrats on starting your first brisket. You'll have to post some photos. :)

1. If you need more help trimming, Aaron Franklin has a great video on Youtube where he walks you through the entire process. There's no shortage of videos from other people as well. :)

2. Sometimes I use mustard and sometimes I don't. You won't taste it after the cook, it's purely to get the seasoning to stick. Whether or not you do won't make or break your brisket.

3. I think you're saying you'll cook somewhere between 190-225. When I've turned the temp down all the way to low for the bulk of the cook I ended up with dry brisket, so I never go lower than 225 anymore. I've also read that it's harder to form a good bark at lower temps.

4. I've used foil only a couple of times. You may get slightly more juicy results but at the cost of bark texture. With prime I wouldn't be too concerned about using butcher paper.

5. Exactly right. Temp is a guide, but you need to probe it to know for certain.

Hopefully you'll be able to get a decent amount of sleep. Perks of having a RecTeq! :)

Thanks @hallsofmontezuma I was talking about IT, I plan on cooking on 590 at 225 for the duration.
Thanks for the tips!!!

I’ve cooked plenty of briskets both low and slow and hot and fast (or a hybrid in this case). I’d encourage you to try it and see if you can tell a difference because I sure cant. :)
Awesome I glad you found a way to cook the Briskets that works for you, that is what BBQ is all about.

5-Back on smoker until brisket is around 195, check tenderness. Pull when probe tender. IT of 195-205?

First brisket here also. Just trimmed a 15# prime cut from Costco and plan to put on at midnight tonight. I just pulled out of fridge based on your comments. Hoping for 160 at about 6 and done by 1 or 2 tomorrow, then in cooler until it’s time to eat Saturday evening.

Just a thought, at 250F on the RT-700, there isn't a lot of smoke. 225F has a noticable increase in smoke. Of course you can always add a smoke tube.

What wood species are you planning on using? I'm a fan of mesquite for beef.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back