How Do I Change Pellet Type

2Wheeler

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
So my Stampede holds 30# of pellets right, so if I load that bad boy up and decide to change over to hickory next cook how do I change ? I’m thinking of fabbing a vacuum nozzle using pvc and attaching to my shop vac. I was wondering if the folks at Rec Tec ever thought about making the hopper grate hinged?

I scoop out most of the pellets and what's left I just use my dedicated vacuum to get the rest. I dont worry about what's in the augger. It's not enough to affect the cook..

I believe others have bought a bucket vac that fits on a 5 gal bucket and used said bucket and vac solely for pellet removal and storage.

as for me, I’ll just use up what’s already loaded and go on to the next pellet type.

Buckethead from Home Depot. Though I don't honestly think you can tell much of a difference. I just always stock the comp blends and hickory.

I've changed pellet types 3 times in as many days. Buckethead vacuum from HomeD. Easy. Of course, a hopper drain would be so nice.

I do as all the other posters suggest maybe combining two approaches for me to one process. . I do both scoop and vac. Two steps for me:

1) Use a scoop (small plastic) to pull out what is in the hopper and i put them back in the dedicated 5 gallon buckets with air-tight lids (got on Amazon) for the pellet type. So - for example if i have hickory in the hopper and want to change to mesquite - i scoop the hickory out and put back in hickory pail). NOTE - i write down what is in the hopper. have a little log book next to my grill. I am getting old and two weeks between cooks and i will forget what is in there. ha.

2) The scoop leaves a residue and it is important to clean this out at the auger level for long term use. So after i get all i can get out with the scoop i use the bucket lid vac from Home Depot (was like $25) and i have a single 5 gallon bucket for "waste" pellets. I call them waste because down by the auger they are more powder/fragments than pellets after i scoop. These go in to a waste bucket. And i use the waste as fire compliment for my yard fire pit. My family LOVES this as our camp fires smell like mesquite/hickory/oak... ha ha. Before i did this my fire wood was comprised of whatever fell in the yard i cut up and stacked. So, soft woods with little scent. Adding these waste pellets to a camp fire actually adds a little aroma to the fire!

I know space is an issue for many. but, i believe my smoking experience has really improved since being more focused on which pellets i am using for which meats. If you can't keep 4-5 buckets around then i do agree... using a competition blend is a good course...

Honestly I've never been able to tell the difference between different wood types when using pellets. You could just keep burning what you have in the hopper and use a smoke tube to get the flavor of your new pellets though. You'll probably notice more of a difference that way since the smoke tubes don't burn nearly as efficiently as the cooker does.

I can't really tell the difference in flavor in different pellets or wood for that matter. What I can tell the difference in is the strength of the smoke flavor. With that said, when I use up the odd things I've tried I'm going to standardize on LumberJack 100% Hickory.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WiFiGuru
Back