How often do you change LavaLock, if ever?

Mannydog

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
  2. Bullseye
I've had my RT-590 for three years now, and still love it. I had sealed all around the inside of the lid with LavaLock when it was brand new. Lately the seal has become compressed and a bit hardened in some places (see pic). It doesn't seem to let smoke escape (yet), but the adjacent areas are starting to get pretty dark, and I'm pretty lazy when it comes to keeping this baby shiny.

So my questions for those wiser souls who've sealed their lids & had their RT smokers for a while, are the following:

* Have you ever changed out the old LavaLock tape?
* Is it a good idea, or even worth it?
* If so, how often is a good rule of thumb for this?
* If so, any tips for removing the LavaLock and cleaning away the gunk before replacing?

My RT-590 is clearly in need of some Barkeepers Friend and some TLC anyway, so wondered if I should make replacing the seal part of the project.

Thanks all, in advance.

IMG_8131.jpeg

I've entertained the idea of replacing, but so far even though the LavaLock on mine appears "crunchy" and saturated with smoke, it's still holding strong other than a few minor leaks when the tape ultimately shrunk over many cooks.

I guess is if I ever start to see smoke coming out of the lid seal, I'll break down and replace it. After many cooks it's pretty much fused to the lid so I expect I'll need a putty knife, some denatured alcohol, and maybe some dynamite to remove the old stuff.

Only place I use lava loc now is on the top of the hopper on my 1070 as part of my burn back prevention. I quit using it on the barrel lid, to allow relief of extra exhaust pressure when it occurs. Hard to stop exhaust staining completely so I have accepted the lid leaks (after resetting the lid to the tightest fit), and use non abrasive SS cleaners instead.
PS: a stained exterior does not turn me off. The best Q I have eaten came from such. I consider it a badge of honor, as long as the surface is not greasy or scaling. As for your current status, I would just leave it on as is. It may eventually seal it's leaks by accumulation of more soot.?

I've had my RT-590 for three years now, and still love it. I had sealed all around the inside of the lid with LavaLock when it was brand new. Lately the seal has become compressed and a bit hardened in some places (see pic). It doesn't seem to let smoke escape (yet), but the adjacent areas are starting to get pretty dark, and I'm pretty lazy when it comes to keeping this baby shiny.

So my questions for those wiser souls who've sealed their lids & had their RT smokers for a while, are the following:

* Have you ever changed out the old LavaLock tape?
* Is it a good idea, or even worth it?
* If so, how often is a good rule of thumb for this?
* If so, any tips for removing the LavaLock and cleaning away the gunk before replacing?

My RT-590 is clearly in need of some Barkeepers Friend and some TLC anyway, so wondered if I should make replacing the seal part of the project.

Thanks all, in advance.

View attachment 19354
Peel off the best that you can. Acetone worked for me.

Last edited:
Mine is in the grass right now. half can of ZEP wasn't good enough. Had to buy more.
Lavalock came off one edge after a crazy pizza session. So looks like annually for me.
In contrast - Kamado looks like once every 10 years.

Not gonna lie, I read LavaROCK and I wanted to see who the hell was using that, lol...

My Bull is about 4 years old now and the lava lock needs replacing so does my Dad's. So maybe every 3 to 4 years? I plan to replace mine soon.

I am pushing 2.5 to 3 years on a 590 and a Pitt Boss 800 (that I converted with a Rec Tec Board when they would sell boards ) . Probably cook once to twice a month . Lava Rock still holding strong

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back