Have You Experienced A Lid Pop: If So when Did You Purchase Your Smoker

I 100% agree with you on this given with how these things are designed, however RT states the opposite and have doubled down on it like they have regarding the recess on the ignitor rod.

If I had a dollar for every OEM medical product where their tech supports or engineers were wrong in how we are told to do things.........that's why/how actual users or repair technicians "actually figure out what is best and makes most sense". ;)

I 100% agree with you on this given with how these things are designed, however RT states the opposite and have doubled down on it like they have regarding the recess on the ignitor rod.
I just don’t understand why they even care if you want to have lid open during startup, it cannot hurt the grill if you do. Stupid for RT to fight this one.

I just don’t understand why they even care if you want to have lid open during startup, it cannot hurt the grill if you do. Stupid for RT to fight this one.
In their world, this exacerbates the smoldering issue because the controller adds in more pellets b/c of the temp drop. This is not actually reality. Given the tests I have done the controller is timed base.

In their world, this exacerbates the smoldering issue because the controller adds in more pellets b/c of the temp drop. This is not actually reality. Given the tests I have done the controller is timed base.
We are not talking about a temp drop, we are talking about starting the grill from whatever the outside temp is. You are only leaving the lid open until it starts smoking, then closing it after the fire gets started.

We are not talking about a temp drop, we are talking about starting the grill from whatever the outside temp is. You are only leaving the lid open until it starts smoking, then closing it after the fire gets started.
I get it. I truly do. This isn't rocket science. Neanderthals figured out how to make fire.

The powers that be at RT are singing a different tune. Apparently recessed ignitors are also ok. I filmed the startup sequence on mine today and how the pellets create a void around the element and thus it does to make contact and smolders. Apparently nothing to see here.

Edit: my guess is this is about liability and admitting past error.

Last edited:
Is it also the cause of prop 65 and the demise of pork in that same area😬
porky pig GIF

I started with the lid down and a very heavy white smoke started rolling. Opened the lid and it stabilized out quickly. I think I might of had a lid pop if not catching it in time. Needless to say I start with lid open always now. It was a very humid day so the pellets might not have been igniting as fast as normal?

I started with the lid down and a very heavy white smoke started rolling. Opened the lid and it stabilized out quickly. I think I might of had a lid pop if not catching it in time. Needless to say I start with lid open always now. It was a very humid day so the pellets might not have been igniting as fast as normal?
Look out for the greenish/gray smoke that is thick..........VERY BAD!!!!! This is again why I never start my grill up remotely, however I will shut it down from inside the house on my phone or from the patio.

I will play one time. RT-700 arrived and used Mid March 2022. Never had any of the issues being reported, not one, none. No lid or hopper seals, no burn backs, no WiFi issues except the app blowing up after an update about 6 months ago, and easy reconnect. I never start my charcoal or gas grill or gas’s smoker with the lids closed so it was only natural to open the lid on the 700. I always slow/starve my charcoal Weber when I finish cooking, I also turn my gas grill to low after I finish cooking and clean the grates, for a little while and then turn off. So once again I do the same for the 700. Aside from that I have only had three RT support contacts, once prior to purchase to ask some questions, second when I saw my cover was defective, no questions asked replacement two days later. And once to return a cover I ordered for my SNL that he didn’t need, that was on me. I just took the difference and ordered some rubs which arrived 3 days later. FWIW.
Amen, Amen, Amen!

I cleaned out my firepot today and looked at my ignitor and it is into the firepot like 3/8". I knew it was a ways into the firepot but it's even more than I originally was thinking.
20230812_213253.jpg

I can't see your ignitor, I see the housing.
Oh I guess I thought that was the ignitor. I've never had an issue so I have never torn it apart and didnt know there was something inside of there that could be moved. I will look again the next time that I tear it apart.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back