Bullseye OH OH Has anyone experienced this ?

aztracker

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bullseye
My bullseye is almost one month old, only did a burn in and cook some chicken thighs then this happened. see attached pictures. Called Rec Teq and then sent them my pictures. With a three hour time difference i expect to hear from them by Monday. Has anyone ever had this happen on any of their grills? Thanks in advance for some input. No way am i upset as this can happen. After using it only once I still really like this grill and have no regrets ever getting it.

Attachments

• PA020021.JPG
    PA020021.JPG
    661.6 KB · Views: 352
  • PA020024.JPG
    PA020024.JPG
    605.5 KB · Views: 295
Not familiar with the bullseye so I have no idea what the pic is of and what's wrong with it.

I don’t own a Bull’s-eye but I know a good spot weld when I see it, and this is not a good spot weld. It almost seems as though the welder did not allow his equipment to warm up properly, had a temperature calibration issue, or didn’t adequately adjust the temperature and dwell time before the spots welds were put in place. Of course, I’m assuming there was no handling issues by the shipping company and no one tried to stand on the grate and popped the welds, haha. Just my opinion. I’m sure rec tech will make your whole however. It will require replacement parts however.

Spot welds look like they didn't get any penetration. I imagine RT will fix you up quickly. Maybe you have a friend that welds? Would be a pretty easy fix with a few bumps on the tig.

A tip for newer folks posting pics: once you've loaded the pic you can choose the "insert" feature. That will post a larger version of the pic in the thread and not require the readers to open your pics in a new window. On my screen the picture name blocks the bracket lying in the bottom of the bowl (yes it drops in time, but who wants to wait), which is probably why others don't get what the complaint is.

SmokeZilla is right on the money. It takes a lot of training and experience to weld Stainless steel. When I used to work in the copper mines we always had a very specialized group come in to weld our pipes. we only used stainless steel or Teflon pipes. unknown most people copper mines use a lot of acid. I am leaving it up to Rec Teq to suggest a fix, if I end up fixing it I am just going to drill and tap the bracket and reattach it with stainless steel screws. I know most people do not have the equipment to do this I am lucky I do. If I do end up doing the repair I will post pictures for future reference for others that come across this problem. also a thanks to Uncle Bob as I am new and now will use the insert suggestion, also thanks to you to for your service.

Well I have to say Rec Teq once again has shown to me that their customer service is a 5 STAR Plus. We conversed back and forth on email and talk about the best way to repair. At that point I was very satisfied but no, they went above and beyond and compensated me with an accessory of my choice. here is what I did: my part list: 2 black chrome 8/32 stainless steel button head screws 3/4 inch long. ( I could have gotten away with ½ inch ) 2 Flat Washers, and 2 locking nuts (the ones with the built in star washer). I used black chrome because it cosmetically looks great as you can see on the outside of the tub. I drilled and tapped both the tub and the bracket so they would form better to the tub.
20201006_125241.jpg
20201006_125330_Burst01.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back