RT-1250 I experienced the BOOM as well with my 1250

LMAO this happened to me this morning. See my most recent post. I am used to having a Camp Chef where they put an easy to dump pellet pot for ash, clean up, etc. This is something Recteq should consider in the future. Just an easy lever to dump ash so that there is no build up in front of the ignitor.

images.jpg

So I just fired up my 1250 this morning, with the lid open. I usually wait until I see smoke before I close the lid. After a few minutes, I see smoke and close the lid. Within three minutes, A LOT of smoke is poring out (no photos or video). I immediately shut it off. I could see fire and sparks under the grease pan. It is cooling down now and I will clean out the fire pot once it cools down.

I clean out the fire pot every four or fifth smoke. Usually when I change the foil on the grease pan. I think I will need to clean it out more regularly now.

Thanks for this post though, it has me more confidence to fire it back up without issue.

Stay safe

So I just fired up my 1250 this morning, with the lid open. I usually wait until I see smoke before I close the lid. After a few minutes, I see smoke and close the lid. Within three minutes, A LOT of smoke is poring out (no photos or video). I immediately shut it off. I could see fire and sparks under the grease pan. It is cooling down now and I will clean out the fire pot once it cools down.

I clean out the fire pot every four or fifth smoke. Usually when I change the foil on the grease pan. I think I will need to clean it out more regularly now.

Thanks for this post though, it has me more confidence to fire it back up without issue.

Stay safe
Waiting 10 or 15 minutes before closing cover seems to work.

Waiting 10 or 15 minutes before closing cover seems to work.
I just watch for the smoke to start while the lid is open and listen for the fan to kick on and kinda hear that “blow torch” sound. Then I know it’s burning clean and can shut the lid.

Thanks Jigsaw. That and I will clean my fire pot more diligently moving forward.

Other then this one issue I absolutely love my smoker.

Thanks Jigsaw. That and I will clean my fire pot more diligently moving forward.

Other then this one issue I absolutely love my smoker.
I wonder if this is a result of the 3 RPM auger motor? Just a thought....

I wonder if this is a result of the 3 RPM auger motor? Just a thought....
I vacuum out the bottom and fire pot every 3-4 cooks anymore, but the massive amount of smoke at startup seems random. Sometimes it fires right up, other times it takes a couple min.

I have dug in during startup a few times and I found the fire pot absolutely full of pellets and it isn’t really lit yet, and the auger is still feeding. A couple times I dug pellets out to look at them and a couple were hot but not really burning much. Makes me wonder if it’s not just humidity in the pellets slowing the start process.

I honestly think it has more to do with the shut down and start up procedure than anything else. I started mine up on Saturday to do some ribeyes and I took everything out so I could watch it start. There was a lot of pellets in the firepot from the shutdown to begin with. Then with the startup it runs the auger full blast before even attempting to ignite the pellets already in there from the shut down until it gets to temp. So the firepot started with a lot of pellets and then the startup covered all of those pellets with about another inch of pellets before anything ever ignited. There was A LOT of white smoke coming out before ignition happened.

Edit: I should also add that I clean my firepot every 2-4 cooks depending on what I cook. When I do clean it, I do not "prime" the firepot with pellets like the manual tells you to. I have never had a single issue after cleaning out the firepot completely.

Last edited:
After it cooled completely and I cleaned the fire pot. After firing it back up no issues. I’ve learned my lesson. Luckily just a lot of smoke and no boom.

After it cooled completely and I cleaned the fire pot. After firing it back up no issues. I’ve learned my lesson. Luckily just a lot of smoke and no boom.
I was hoping to get more cooks between cleaning the fire pot than I am. I do wish there was an easier way to clean it out good. Tearing the grill down and dragging my shop vac out to prep the grill is kind of a pain, but I do prefer this over my propane grill for flavor and versatility.

I was hoping to get more cooks between cleaning the fire pot than I am. I do wish there was an easier way to clean it out good. Tearing the grill down and dragging my shop vac out to prep the grill is kind of a pain, but I do prefer this over my propane grill for flavor and versatility.
You don’t need to get it shop vac clean every time. If I have gloves on to clean the drip pan, etc., I just clean the pot with my index finger. Otherwise I scoop it out with a spoon. Only when I vac the ash out of the cook chamber do,I use a shop vac.

Maybe a cup like the one sold with the pot? Link to Amazon

I linked the set as it seems for some reason this is cheaper than the cup I see alone. You can do your own searching just what I saw quickly.

Maybe a cup like the one sold with the pot? Link to Amazon

I linked the set as it seems for some reason this is cheaper than the cup I see alone. You can do your own searching just what I saw quickly.
I asked the FB group if anyone had any luck with such a device, and all the know it alls are coming out of the woodwork “just use a shop vac” “you’re making this too complicated” 🙄

Humans wear me out.

I asked the FB group if anyone had any luck with such a device, and all the know it alls are coming out of the woodwork “just use a shop vac” “you’re making this too complicated” 🙄

Humans wear me out.

Shame some folks just don't understand.. It's not about complicating things, it's actually about making them easier. Hard to see the forest through the trees with some folks.

I totally get what you are trying to do. My little vac I use clogs the filter if I use it on ashes so yes, it is a project to vacuum out the pot & the bottom. I have to clean the filter every time I clean the Recteq. Sure.. if I just hit the pot with the vac it would be fine but if I have it in my hands I'm gonna put it to use and get it all out LOL.

I must admit, after reading these threads, I have become more of a zealot on cleaning my grill before and after any long cook. I haven't done the open lid approach yet, but I am seeing some merit to not manually priming the fire pot. I've also scaled back my pellet experiments and am sticking with a brand that's relatively inexpensive (relative being a term in overpriced CA) and doesn't produce a lot of ash and hard deposits in the fire pot.

I do appreciate those have have shared their detonation experiences. I would likely be out of the BBQ business if my better half witnessed a BOOM. I can hear the diatribe now. Something about blowing up a grandson, etc. No mention of me being blown up though!

I'm getting pretty frustrated with recteq, 99% sure I'm just going to sell my RT-1250 now. I can't even use the remote start ability in fear of my grill exploding. Recteq really needs to address this issue.

I'm getting pretty frustrated with recteq, 99% sure I'm just going to sell my RT-1250 now. I can't even use the remote start ability in fear of my grill exploding. Recteq really needs to address this issue.
I don’t think it is quite that dramatic.

It was a 7 on the Richter Scale.
Mine shook my house when it popped, but the fix is simple, just open the lid.

It’s not wise to start a fire when you’re not present anyway. I’ve seen enough pellet grill malfunction pictures and videos to know that things can happen. Fire is fire. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back