Grill Grates questions

kenglishpc

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Hiya folks,

When I bought my Rec Tec Bull, I opted for 3, interlocking Grill Grates that they recommend for searing. I figured what the hell. So I've tried them on the Rec Tec. Ran the pit temp up to about 475, put a couple ribeyes on, and was very dissappointed in the overall function. I wound up completing the cook on my Vermont Castings grill. Since then, I got the bright idea to move those grates over to the VC. They cover about half of the original cast iron/ceramic grates that came on the VC and I was considering just replacing the original grates with more of the Grill Grates. The original grates are starting to show their age (19 years or so?) and some of the ceramic coating is coming off in places. After doing another couple of cooks with them there, I'm not getting near the sear, nor char marks on anything that I cook on them. It was my understanding that the Grill Grates are supposed to get a lot hotter than the grates they sit on, or replace. I don't think this is the case from what I'm seeing. I don't have a temp gun to verify this though. Any others with experience with them?

I just used mine for the first time last night to cook some chicken breasts and as far as I could tell they worked as advertised with really nice grill marks on both sides. My Stampede was set to 450. I wouldn't say they produce a "hard" sear like a really high temp charcoal grill or infrared burner but the chicken came out great.

I just used mine for the first time last night to cook some chicken breasts and as far as I could tell they worked as advertised with really nice grill marks on both sides. My Stampede was set to 450. I wouldn't say they produce a "hard" sear like a really high temp charcoal grill or infrared burner but the chicken came out great.
I forgot to mention, it took longer to bring the meats up to temp compared to directly on the VC grates.

Best I can say about the Grill Grates is they have to be used on full heat and keep the lid on what your using them on shut.
I'm still considering replacing the original VC grates with these. I always wanted SS instead of the cast iron, but I kinda see the allure of these GrillGrates. I just really expected much higher heat transfer.

I'm still considering replacing the original VC grates with these. I always wanted SS instead of the cast iron, but I kinda see the allure of these GrillGrates. I just really expected much higher heat transfer.
Stainless steel vs cast Iron grates, I'll never go back to the raw cast Iron grates as it rusts and flakes off iron partials terribly unless used almost daily.

What I've found with using the Grill Grates Sear Plates is they need some time to season and have to be used at the super full temperature output of the grill with the lid shut, they do get better with each use. Scrape the heavy junk off but don't wash them using harsh products as it will take the seasoning off just like a cast iron frying pan.

Stainless steel vs cast Iron grates, I'll never go back to the raw cast Iron grates as it rusts and flakes off iron partials terribly unless used almost daily.
The Vermont Castings grates are cast iron, but with a ceramic coating. I've chipped that coating in a few places over the last couple of decades, but just small chips. So overall, they haven't rusted except in a place or two. To be honest, I'm astounded at the longevity of the grates. If you're ever looking for a quality grill, I can highly recommend the Vermont Castings line up. I can hit over 800 degrees pretty easily using all 5 burners, plus it has an infared rotisserie burner that can add additional pit temp when needed. This is 20 yr old technology, and I'm not certain of their currently lineups.

Hiya folks,

When I bought my Rec Tec Bull, I opted for 3, interlocking Grill Grates that they recommend for searing. I figured what the hell. So I've tried them on the Rec Tec. Ran the pit temp up to about 475, put a couple ribeyes on, and was very dissappointed in the overall function. I wound up completing the cook on my Vermont Castings grill. Since then, I got the bright idea to move those grates over to the VC. They cover about half of the original cast iron/ceramic grates that came on the VC and I was considering just replacing the original grates with more of the Grill Grates. The original grates are starting to show their age (19 years or so?) and some of the ceramic coating is coming off in places. After doing another couple of cooks with them there, I'm not getting near the sear, nor char marks on anything that I cook on them. It was my understanding that the Grill Grates are supposed to get a lot hotter than the grates they sit on, or replace. I don't think this is the case from what I'm seeing. I don't have a temp gun to verify this though. Any others with experience with them?
I’m a fan of the grill grates but also have a Big Green Egg that tops 900 degrees. The sear grate can’t get any hotter than than the temp of your smoker. At best, close to 600, more likely, in the mid 500’s. The sear grates have to stay on until they reach max temp. They do make nice grill marks and on the reverse side, sear marks. It’s not really the same as doing it over charcoal (sear) but they are pretty good. I did these chicken breasts today. Good searing and still moist. Just needs to get to full temp. ??

Attachments

• 2C37E8B0-E6E7-48D6-97B5-B742F0107A59.jpeg
    2C37E8B0-E6E7-48D6-97B5-B742F0107A59.jpeg
    133.3 KB · Views: 81
I've haven't been disappointed in mine. I use mine just for searing, although I'm not saying one couldn't fully cook on them. And depending on what excatly you are cooking or trying to do they are reversible. You can do burgers etc, on the flat side.
One thing I learned though is grease can collect in the holes in them and then eventually run on the underside until it pushes out over the edge of the drip pan. Just something to pay attention for depending on amount of heat and grease.
They work best when preheated also. Right side of the smoker*

I've haven't been disappointed in mine. I use mine just for searing, although I'm not saying one couldn't fully cook on them. And depending on what excatly you are cooking or trying to do they are reversible. You can do burgers etc, on the flat side.
One thing I learned though is grease can collect in the holes in them and then eventually run on the underside until it pushes out over the edge of the drip pan. Just something to pay attention for depending on amount of heat and grease.
They work best when preheated also. Right side of the smoker*
I've seen this issue and turn them 90 degrees on the grates so all the dripping end up on the drip pan and not down in the barrel to catch fire later.

I've seen this issue and turn them 90 degrees on the grates so all the dripping end up on the drip pan and not down in the barrel to catch fire later.
This is 90 degrees. Works great. No grease over the edge.

Attachments

• D6153F5B-8FA0-45C0-AA87-ED16C7DA1E89.jpeg
    D6153F5B-8FA0-45C0-AA87-ED16C7DA1E89.jpeg
    160.5 KB · Views: 105

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back