Grill Grates vs Blackstone V. WTF BBQ?

It’s been seasoned, that’s all I’ve done lol
Great. Don't hesitate. Cook a great Sunday Breakfast on it tomorrow LOL. Same as using a Lodge Cast Iron pan only you will fit a lot more on the cooking surface. Think of the rolled steel the same as any cast iron pan. As you are learning think of searing steaks and preparing other foods. My griddle is a 4 burner so I can use each burner on off, low or medium. As you wish on a 3 burner. Remember "off" is also a position.
I use my smokers only to smoke. Grill and Griddle to sear and cook breakfast and a "leftovers Hibachi" for dinner. I like whole chicken on the grill. $100 for the Blackstone is great... don't fall for those who try to impress others based on price. You have a gem. Have fun. :)

I use my 22" Adventure series Blackstone almost every day. Mostly breakfast. Sometimes dinners. I bought the hose to convert it to use the 20lb propane bottle. As @Elias said...Off is a burner position also. I really like The Flat Top King on YouTube. He has different griddles and uses them all. He is all about zone cooking, no matter what brand is used.

So, here’s my latest quandary fellas.. Do I grab grill grates for my 700 when I already have a perfectly good blackstone right beside it? I have been using my gas grill to sear, but I let my buddy/landlord move it upstairs onto the deck above my apartment. I can just walk upstairs and use it still but hell, the blackstone is right here(and has actually never been used past seasoning ) I think im just addicted to buying shit for the recteq😂😂😂… tell me I don’t NEED the grill grates 😂😂😂😂
I have GG on my 700 across the deck, 3 up 3 down. (It really needs 1 more) Then I bought a 380 and put some on there. I use the 380 to sear steaks now. It heats up in 15 minutes vs 45 on the 700. I use it 99:1 times vs the 700. Don’t tell my wife tho.

You do this because yours are better than the frozen Jimmy Dean's? I already think the pre-mades are dirt cheap, just wondering your motivation to make them from scratch. Not knockin' it - we have that little egg mcmuffin maker that actually does a great job - 1 at a time.

Because I enjoy it. I live a very simple life and have time for it. A few times a year I'll buy a pork belly and make bacon. I'll freeze it in packs of 8 to use for some of the sandwiches. FWIW I also often cook large amounts of food and give 80% away to friends at work.

Last week it was Gumbo. Tomorrow will be Jambalaya, homemade/grown pickled peppers, and from scratch sourdough bread (cast iron dutch oven). A few weeks ago it was 3 types of empanadas. Brisket and beans is always a big hit. Fridge pickles from homegrown cucumbers during summers months are well received. This weeks breakfast sandwiches will be Nashville hot chicken breasts on toasted buns I made yesterday in a deep fryer. I have 8 so 3 will be given to coworkers. Next time buts are on sale I'll make Tasso ham. The Southern cheese shrimp and grits I made yesterday called for it butt could not find locally. Later today after making smash burgers on the blackstone I'm going to try a corn flour bread/cake and a traditional cornbread in cast iron skillets in the 1070. That will make ~16 slices to share in the morning. Cheers! Time for more wine and then start prep work.

I have a small Blackstone for camping - there's only 2 of us - and it's for at least 2 meals every day. I think it would put a great sear on a steak.

You do this because yours are better than the frozen Jimmy Dean's? I already think the pre-mades are dirt cheap, just wondering your motivation to make them from scratch. Not knockin' it - we have that little egg mcmuffin maker that actually does a great job - 1 at a time.
I grind my own pork and beef because I know exactly what’s in it, and what is not in it. So in that respect I do think it’s better than frozen. I’d cure and smoke all my own bacon as well if I had a nice slicer. As is, bacon is something I make only occasionally.

I grind my own pork and beef because I know exactly what’s in it, and what is not in it. So in that respect I do think it’s better than frozen. I’d cure and smoke all my own bacon as well if I had a nice slicer. As is, bacon is something I make only occasionally.
Yes!! My arms are sore after slicing it - and its not terribly uniform

I upgraded to a BESWOOD slicer from the $99 dollar type from Cabela's. Huge difference, if you have to wait - I would wait rather than be disappointed. I end up cutting/slicing about a hundred pounds a year and I'm just tired of the hand cramps when making meze trays for large parties. Still mainly into curing/smoking large chunks of pork like belly, loin and tenderloin.
I have the jerky slicer attachment for the grinder - but since the slicer was out, I used that for eye of round to make jerky. It's actually faster and easier because the meat doesn't have to be the perfect size to drop through the jerky chute.

is Cast Iron Skillet better then a carbon steel skillet?
Cast iron and carbon steel have very similar properties. I believe CI retains heat better which is a good thing when you are looking for a nice sear on a thick steak. I believe carbon steel conducts heat more evenly and recovers quicker to changes in the heat. I like and use both. If I’m searing a steak, I reach for a CI pan. If I’m searing chicken breast or salmon, I’ll reach for carbon steel. Unlike CI, carbon steel can warp if heated to very high temps, like what you may do when searing steaks.

Not too bad for a first go…

IMG_2560.jpeg

How many ounces does it take y'all to induce meat sweats? I need to be close to a pound.
Meat sweats? What’s that? :unsure: I once polished off a 42-oz tomahawk at an Arizona steak house with no ill effects. And, that included a baked spud and salad. Of course, that was a while back…in my younger days. 🤣

Meat sweats? What’s that? :unsure: I once polished off a 42-oz tomahawk at an Arizona steak house with no ill effects. And, that included a baked spud and salad. Of course, that was a while back…in my younger days. 🤣
My gosh, you and my wife! She’s a small woman, but I’ve never seen anyone eat steak like her. Her birthday is Halloween and I’m shopping this weekend for a Porterhouse or T-bone that is a minimum of 2 pounds. We just watched a YouTube video of the Flat Top King cooking a 3# steak and when he said it would feed 3-4 people, she laughed out loud!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back