Cleaning Grill Grates

tpack

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
I cleaned and polished my RT590 today. Been a while since I cleaned it, and the grates were really greasy with lots of buildup. Soap and hot water weren`t getting it done so I decided to use my Weber Genesis to blast off the grates with high heat. I let it ride up to 690 degrees for about 30 minutes or so and that did the job. Next time I`m just going to skip the soap and water. I hardly ever get my 590 past 275 and after a while it gets built up on there.

I do the same. In the past I was covering the grate with a piece of foil, but I think the extra high heat deformed the lower casing of the Weber, its bowed out a tad, enough where the thermometer hits when closing. Oh well, works almost as good without the foil.

New to the forum guy here. Since I normally cook at low temps, I like to clean my grill grates after every cook. Best way I have found is to just put them in my dishwasher and run a cycle. I do knock off any pieces of meat that are stuck to the grates first. They lay flat in the racks of my machine. Come out looking like new. I do give them a hand rinse after I take them out just to make sure there is no nasty residual soap on them.

Best way I have found is to just put them in my dishwasher and run a cycle
Just don't forget to re-season them again after that. Think of cast aluminum (aka Grill Grates) like cast iron. Dishwashers will strip off all seasoning. Sometimes that's not horrible, but consider it a hard reset.

Just don't forget to re-season them again after that. Think of cast aluminum (aka Grill Grates) like cast iron. Dishwashers will strip off all seasoning. Sometimes that's not horrible, but consider it a hard reset.
Thanks for the reply. Maybe I'm not being clear - I'm talking about the OEM stainless steel grill grates. I'm not aware they were seasoned at all.

Sorry, I was thinking GrillGratesTM

The standard stainless steel grill grates from Recteq can handle the dishwasher treatment just fine if they fit.

According to GrillGrates, washing them (the aluminum ones) in a dishwasher will ruin them. Apparently it will strip off the anodizing.
IMG_0954.jpeg

This is going to sound crazy but the way I have been cleaning my grill grates is with an onion, Take a large yellow smelly onion and jam a fork in it - after you finish the cook, while the grates are still warm rub that onion all over it - melts the fat off and doesn't leave chemical residue and bonus prevents sticking for the next cook. - The onion will disintegrate and turn black when that happens toss it and grab the other half. Done.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxBabu
Back