Bull Good or bad idea to use gasket on door of RT 700

I have seen posts suggesting the use of high temp gasket on lid to help keep the smoker clean. it nay keep it cleaner, but according to the RecTeq support article (below), the performance may suffer. Is the warning in the article real or theoretical?

https://recteqhelp.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/4417519158299-Grill-Running-Too-Cool
I've had my 700 lid sealed for well over a year. There have been zero performance issues. There is plenty of airflow through the grease drain and smoke stack. I do agree with them on items such as good quality pellets and cleaning the fire pot.

I have seen posts suggesting the use of high temp gasket on lid to help keep the smoker clean. it nay keep it cleaner, but according to the RecTeq support article (below), the performance may suffer. Is the warning in the article real or theoretical?

https://recteqhelp.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/4417519158299-Grill-Running-Too-Cool
Same, I've had my gasket on since new. I do all kinds of different cooks, no issues at all. The gasket definitely helps to keep the smoker clean.

Everything they mention in that article is accurate… Except the part about the gasket. I love the recteq guys and gals, but frankly I don’t know how they can say (in so many words) with a straight face that their grills are designed and built with such precision that a door gap is a performance feature.

Everything they mention in that article is accurate… Except the part about the gasket. I love the recteq guys and gals, but frankly I don’t know how they can say (in so many words) with a straight face that their grills are designed and built with such precision that a door gap is a performance feature.
200w.gif

I’m having a hard time understanding why folks think Recteq would put out false information regarding the use of “gasketing material.” What would they have to gain by doing so? Could they actually be right?

Now, I think cleanliness is a fine attribute, but I don’t worry too much about it on an inherently dirty thing like a smoker. I’ve been to a lot of BBQ joints all over the country (and a few in other countries) and when I see a bright, shiny smoker or pit, I immediately wonder whether it is (a) new or (b) run by someone who cares more about appearance than product. Neither inspires much confidence.

So, being the contrarian here, I’ll try to keep my grill/smoker reasonably clean, but I’ll worry more about what comes out of it than how it looks to the casual observer.

I installed my lid gasket before my first cook so don’t have any prior comparison on my RT-700. I did however have smoke coming out of the back of the smoker for the first several cooks. Called recteq and the first thing they asked was if I had installed a lid gasket. They went on to say how it is not recommended and the grill is designed purposely without one.

The smoke eventually stopped coming from the back (never could tell where it was coming from, behind the hopper). My guess is that the soot or whatever gunk plugged that hole. Still use the lid gasket to keep it clean. Be warned though that cooking at max temp will cause the Lavalock adhesive to melt and the gasket to slide.
image.jpg

Last edited:
I’m having a hard time understanding why folks think Recteq would put out false information regarding the use of “gasketing material.” What would they have to gain by doing so? Could they actually be right?
Easy to see what they have to gain. Other premium pellet grills come from the factory with a seal on the lid. recteq gets asked ‘Why isn’t your lid sealed like -fill in the blank-?

So, being the contrarian here, I’ll try to keep my grill/smoker reasonably clean, but I’ll worry more about what comes out of it than how it looks to the casual observer.
There is more to it than that for some recteq users. I have a smoke box on my RT-700 and I want the smoke to exit the grill through the smoke box, not out the lid. Now if I ever buy another pellet grill I a) will not seal the lid because b) I’d never wast money on another smoke box.

The gasket does little to keep the grill clean anyway. This RT-340 is sealed because I had enough gasket material left over from the RT-700 that I said why not? It’s now 14 months old and is showing plenty of patina just the same.

F33A8F5A-34E3-4895-8F0E-B617E9F73924.jpeg

Easy to see what they have to gain. Other premium pellet grills come from the factory with a seal on the lid. recteq gets asked ‘Why isn’t your lid sealed like -fill in the blank-?
So, you think that just to save a couple of bucks—literally— Recteq would make something up? I’m not much into conspiracy theories, so I guess we’ll just have to agree to disagree. ;)

So, you think that just to save a couple of bucks—literally— Recteq would make something up? I’m not much into conspiracy theories, so I guess we’ll just have to agree to disagree. ;)
For the the longest time, one of the top dogs on their cooking shows stated over and over for fact that NASA continued to pressure them to give them the technology for the heat panels in the Wyldside. The panels are nothing more than vermiculite.

I'd be more concerned just firing up a Recteq these days than a gasket. Seem like they are blowing up left & right.

Poor gasket has no competition on that one :unsure:

But, Recteq still recommends keeping the lid closed when starting. Go figure. Guess they know best so we should all just bow down and listen to them.

Anyway.. do what makes you feel good on this one. You will get variable responses here. Suggest you do your own findings and then do what is best for you.

Enjoy most of all. Life is short.. live it up on the edge.

Tried it out. Made no difference to the cook, but looked more professional as smoke didn't come out the lid.

IMO this is a cosmetic mod. Do it if you like it. I don't see a difference either way and figure a gasket is just one more thing I'll eventually have to fix/clean/replace so I'm gasket-free.

what Greg said. I’ve had my 1250 sealed after about four cooks. I like to make sure my grill looks as good as the meat tastes. This was a big investment for me and expect to keep it for many years. Without cleaning smoke stains after every cook. You will be glad that you sealed yours afterwards.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gymanji
Back