Bull Good or bad idea to use gasket on door of RT 700

I’d probably lean towards the 850. That’s more than enough room for what I cook.

Keep in mind, while RT has a pretty good build quality, they use 14 gauge steel on the Bull.

P&S uses 7 gauge and 10 gauge steel, obviously, with thicker materials, they are going to cost more.

Last edited:
I’d probably lean towards the 850. That’s more than enough room for what I cook.

Keep in mind, while RT has a pretty good build quality, they use 14 gauge steel on the Bull.

P&S uses 7 gauge and 10 gauge steel, obviously, with thicker materials, they are going to cost more.

Big difference there.. I keep mine inside anyway so the stainless is really not a top selling factor. It sure is pretty though. Would love to hear about other brands from folks that are not biased. If you ever do please do come back here and update.

Yeah, I am a ways out from pulling the trigger.

I'd love to move into a P&S, but my 700 with the Comp cart and smoke box was a gift from my wife for Christmas/retirement. So, I have to suffer through it. :rolleyes:

The gasket debate is some kind or red herring cooked up for who knows what reason. Installing a gasket on the door affects nothing about how it cooks or holds temperature. There's a 3" hole where the smoke goes out, a square hole where the grease drains and and a probe port. Does anyone expect us to believe that putting a gasket on the door affects the ability of the smoker to perform as intended?

Last edited:
I have been looking at the Yoder YS-480S and the Pitts & Spitts Maverick 850. Both are made in USA, a big plus IMO. Not ready to pull the trigger on either just yet, and am still looking at other “Made in USA” options.

Malcom has used a Yoder, Memphis Grills and Traeger on videos I’ve seen.

Memphis Grills....that's it. I liked how the center of the drip tray is crowned and the center section is removeable and replaced with one that is perforated to provide direct heat.

if i could choose any grill it would probably be a recteq bfg but i would want to see how it performs for higher temp work like pizza. Or a yoder ys640 with that obnoxious orange comp cart that i love! the yoder seems about perfect to me.
C27C52E2-C1BA-4E78-8EBA-63CE18EFB736.jpeg

oh and i put a gasket on my rt700 and overall i like it better. the door closes softer and it actually make the grill alittle quieter which is nice because we watch football and tv on the deck. just do it. it’s easy to remove

I'd love to move into a P&S, but my 700 with the Comp cart and smoke box was a gift from my wife for Christmas/retirement. So, I have to suffer through it. :rolleyes:

The gasket debate is some kind or red herring cooked up for who knows what reason. Installing a gasket on the door affects nothing about how it cooks or holds temperature. There's a 3" hole where the smoke goes out, a square hole where the grease drains and and a probe port. Does anyone expect us to believe that putting a gasket on the door affects the ability of the smoker to perform as intended?
The door gasket is the sole cause of global warming 🌎

Memphis Grills....that's it. I liked how the center of the drip tray is crowned and the center section is removeable and replaced with one that is perforated to provide direct heat.
If money were no object, I absolutely would be in the market for a Memphis or a Yoder grill. The Yoder has direct fire capability as well. What’s different about the Yoder direct fire compared to the Memphis is that the Yoder fire box is not centered-it’s on the left side of the grill. With the diffuser removed, the left side is hotter than the right, giving you a pretty clever direct/indirect zone cooking setup.

This thread has kind of spiraled out of control from the door gasket😂😂. But I'll join in. I am thinking of sealing my 1250 but I don't think I should since I go up to 600° with mine. I don't think the gasket will like me.

If I could go back, I would have saved more money and gotten a Lone Star Grillz 20x42 pellet grill. The stack is below the food which may help get more smoke flavoring, the built in Fireboard has 6 probe ports, Fireboard app has been awesome for me with my standalone unit, so I would assume the same for the built in one, it's more heavy duty (not stainless though), drops the pellets in instead of auger feeding so there is virtually no chance of the pellets burning up in the hopper, can go down to 160°, has direct open flame grilling option and the burn pot is removable from the exterior of the grill for ash cleaning. I'm actually debating cleaning up my 1250 this spring and seeing how much I can sell it for and getting one.

This thread has kind of spiraled out of control from the door gasket😂😂. But I'll join in. I am thinking of sealing my 1250 but I don't think I should since I go up to 600° with mine. I don't think the gasket will like me.

If I could go back, I would have saved more money and gotten a Lone Star Grillz 20x42 pellet grill. The stack is below the food which may help get more smoke flavoring, the built in Fireboard has 6 probe ports, Fireboard app has been awesome for me with my standalone unit, so I would assume the same for the built in one, it's more heavy duty (not stainless though), drops the pellets in instead of auger feeding so there is virtually no chance of the pellets burning up in the hopper, can go down to 160°, has direct open flame grilling option and the burn pot is removable from the exterior of the grill for ash cleaning. I'm actually debating cleaning up my 1250 this spring and seeing how much I can sell it for and getting one.

Looking forward to the full review. You already sold me!

Looking forward to the full review. You already sold me!
I'm looking forward to your review 😆. Honestly, the only reason I didn't go with them to begin with was because they were in the pre-order phase when I got my 1250 and I didn't want to deal with any "first release" issues. I wish I would have though. Another possible benefit is that supposedly the entire thing, including the controller are made in the USA.

The felt material may be rated for 800F but I don’t think the adhesive backing is. This is what happened to mine after searing some steaks on “FULL”. The first time this happened I cut a smaller piece to cover where the gasket had slipped from. Seared steaks a second time and it slid again so I gave up. Now I just have to clean a smoke stain off every so often. Happened on both upper corners. I installed the lavalock when the grill was brand new.
1646667044931.jpeg

The felt material may be rated for 800F but I don’t think the adhesive backing is. This is what happened to mine after searing some steaks on “FULL”. The first time this happened I cut a smaller piece to cover where the gasket had slipped from. Seared steaks a second time and it slid again so I gave up. Now I just have to clean a smoke stain off every so often. Happened on both upper corners. I installed the lavalock when the grill was brand new.
View attachment 15239
👆This- 100%👆. My Lavalock has shifted to the point of barely being useful. Has anyone found a good gasket that doesn’t shift (with a variety of temps)? I’m planning on removing mine and starting over.

I liked it before it shifted, because I like clean things, but I hate cleaning.

I purchased 3 590 smokers, one for me and the others for my 2 children's families. First off, noted that none of the lids were either symmetrical in their position on the drum, nor were they creased properly to make a decent seal. We tweaked the hinge settings as best we could and one of the lids fit pretty well, and the other two still had "gaposis" on one side or the other. My son got the 590 with the best fit and did not put on a gasket. The other two got gaskets. Results: Nada difference in use, production, performance noted. Even with the better fit, my son's unit is really discolored around the lid, but he does not care. So: I think bottom line is... RT tests and adjusts their units just like they receive them from China. I can see why they would defend the idea of not using gaskets. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Poor quality control in either producing the lid, or in producing the chamber itself produces the variation in lid fit. But IMO it is of no consequence in either performance or value of the unit. (my Traeger and Blaz'n both without gasket and had leaky lids. For the same reasons I believe.). Personally I like mine gasketed and so it is!
P.S. I also think that RT produces the best bang for the buck, (even with new prices) and has the best service in the industry.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back