So did I make a bad decision ?

New here and seems I joined at a horrible time as there seem to be a lot of fellow smokers upset with recteq. Just purchased the flagship and had been looking to replace my pit barrel cooker for years. I always got drawn back to recteq and saved up to purchase. From reading tons of posts this last week it seems there is an overwhelming amount of hate against the company now. For price point, build quality, and features I couldn’t find a better smoker so I’m flabbergasted at how much hate there is here. Did I make a mistake?
I think they make a good product. But one of the main reasons I bought Recteq was for the remote start. It was so easy to prepare the meat put it on grill ahead of time then start the cook at the correct time. Now they have defeated the feature from the app. Someone must have either sued them or they were afraid of a law suit. The issue could have been resolved with a lock code you had to enter before you could remotely start your grill. Instead they completely blocked the feature. At least they did it before I purchased my next grill. I will be researching and purchasing USA made smokers, even if they don’t have the remote start feature.

I think they make a good product. But one of the main reasons I bought Recteq was for the remote start. It was so easy to prepare the meat put it on grill ahead of time then start the cook at the correct time. Now they have defeated the feature from the app. Someone must have either sued them or they were afraid of a law suit. The issue could have been resolved with a lock code you had to enter before you could remotely start your grill. Instead they completely blocked the feature. At least they did it before I purchased my next grill. I will be researching and purchasing USA made smokers, even if they don’t have the remote start feature.
Welcome to the Forum Azace
When it comes to the "Remote Start" removal from the App(s);
The story I heard was:
A Grill (no brand named) Owner always remote started his Grill on his way home from work
One day (unbeknownst to the Owner) his Gardener saw the Cover off of the Grill and proceeded to put it back on, not knowing that the Owner uncovered the Grill that morning so he could remote start it that afternoon
Grill cover caught fire, that set the Home (or some part of it) on fire
I don't know if any type of "Safety" or "Lock-out" could have seen or stopped this (if it's true) from happening
Not sure if it's a fact or not, but I believe that it is now an industry wide thing
I heard that most (if not all) Pellet Grill Manufacturers have remove that feature from their Apps too

I used the remote start a lot.

I would clean the RT1250, set up the water pan, etc, and get it ready for the cook. Then go inside and get cleaned up. When it was time, hit the remote start button while inside the house.

That said it was not the primary reason I bought the grill. I’ve been happy with it and their customer service has been stellar.

New here and seems I joined at a horrible time as there seem to be a lot of fellow smokers upset with recteq. Just purchased the flagship and had been looking to replace my pit barrel cooker for years. I always got drawn back to recteq and saved up to purchase. From reading tons of posts this last week it seems there is an overwhelming amount of hate against the company now. For price point, build quality, and features I couldn’t find a better smoker so I’m flabbergasted at how much hate there is here. Did I make a mistake?
You definitely made a good choice. I’ve had my Bull for two years and couldn’t be happier with it. By comparison with the food I was producing with my charcoal kettle, my results now are incredible.

I agree with others comments that these types of forums also attract complaints, but in my view, the ultimate test is the food.

On a positive note about the forums here, I’ve found the posters incredibly friendly and willing to help if I have questions, concerns, etc.

The grills are great-- so your going to love yours... Everyone was mad cause RT turned off a feature that a LOT of us really liked --- the remote start.... But the work around seems to work just as well if not better (smartlife app)... So things have toned down... EnJoy your new toy..
Anyone who has ever butt-dialed someone shouldn't wonder why they removed the remote start feature. It was nothing but a huge liability for them.

Anyone who has ever butt-dialed someone shouldn't wonder why they removed the remote start feature. It was nothing but a huge liability for them.

We can thank all the shady lawyers and judges for that, and I for one am tired of being punished for the misfortunes and stupid decisions or straight up bad luck of the FEW. Again.....I am so glad that we don't all believe the same way or see things the same way, as nothing would ever get accomplished nor be improved upon.

What im trying to figure out is a 2ndary conformation i want to remote start my grill...
So right now i have it where i can start the grill either with my SmartLife app directly or with alexa with "alexa start the grill".. .. So this is all good..

What id like is a conformation from alexa asking "are you sure you want to start the grill" and if i respond with yes then at that point it starts up the grill..

The remote start is great.. But im not stoopid... Having some redundancy in place is a good thing..

OK so added a routine to alexa.. So when i say " alexa,turn on the grill" the grill is turned on and i get a announcement on both my phone (using the alexa app) and also out of my alexa in the house.. So this way if im out and about and all of a sudden i hear "the grill has been turned on" i can get excited cause the gardener is about to cook something up good..

If anyone has a idea on how to add a verbal conformation to alexa.. let me know... Id like to be asked "are you sure you want the grill on?"... if i say yes it then turns on.. if i dont say anything and or say no-- of course it doesnt turn on..

Last edited:
I think the one thing that Recteq sucks at is the Apps notification on busy weekends - you will not get any notifications about your grill getting to temp, prob temps hitting or exceeding your target temps because on busy weekends they dont have enough server bandwidth. They will tell you that they are working it but that is pure BS - its been like this for a while. So dont rely on the probes etc. buy yourself a 2 or 3 or 4 probe after market setup that you can monitor via your smart phone and only use the Recteq app to adjust temps up or down (at least on holidays and weekends)

I think the one thing that Recteq sucks at is the Apps notification on busy weekends - you will not get any notifications about your grill getting to temp, prob temps hitting or exceeding your target temps because on busy weekends they dont have enough server bandwidth. They will tell you that they are working it but that is pure BS - its been like this for a while. So dont rely on the probes etc. buy yourself a 2 or 3 or 4 probe after market setup that you can monitor via your smart phone and only use the Recteq app to adjust temps up or down (at least on holidays and weekends)
Interesting - In my naivety, I thought the App and grill were just reacting to each other. Never thought that all of it went back to the mother ship for decisions to then respond.

I want to get a probe set for my other grills and rotisserie. Been thinking about the Meater but not ready to pull the trigger.

You made a great decision, the upset people are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

https://bbqhost.com/best-pellet-grills/

I know how good the 590 overall is and has been for most owners, and this review just solidifies that. However, I am extremely impressed with some of the other makes/models out there as well and some which have been omitted in this review, so anyone who is disenchanted with Recteq.......there are some great options out there. ;)

This would be my next choice by the way and wasn't listed in this review, however I have watched other reviews praise it tremendously. https://www.grillagrills.com/category/silverbac-at
I did a lot of research before I bought my RT-700 3 or 4 years ago. It came down to the Grilla Grill’s Silverbac and the RecTeq RT-700. I was impressed by both. What tilted me to RecTeq was that I was able to drive over to their facility in Evans, Ga, from Charleston SC, in 2 1/2 hours and look at it first-hand. I was very impressed by the quality of the unit, the RecTeq facility itself, and (most importantly) their warranty. At that point it was a no-brainer for me.

I owned a Traeger BBQ 075 for about 15 years. So I felt like I knew what I wanted in my next pellet grill.

Two things that I’ve come to love about my 700 are the 40-lb hopper and the controller. I can do overnight cooks now. And, the controller only allows minuscule variations in temperature during cooks. (The old Traeger had +/- variations of 15 degrees or more. I now understand that can actually enhance the smoke flavor.). Bottom line…I have zero regrets about this purchase.

I recently bout the PCS Rackworks shelves and it has expanded my capabilities. I pondered that purchase for almost a year. 🤭

Only problem I have had…I seem to keep losing wheel bearings out of one of the swivel wheels. It happened a year or so back and RecTeq sent me a new set. So supporters quick and easy. Unfortunately, I found a hearing on the patio last week after cooking. Same problem, same wheel. I think the problem is the expansion gaps in my concrete may be a bit more “pronounced” than they were at my old house. And I do move my grill from the covered screen porch to the outside concrete patio before and after each use. And there’s an expansion gap just outside the porch door when I make my turn. The weight of the 700 and the bump it takes through that gap is what’s causing this…I believe. So I’ll call RecTeq this week to replace that wheel (again). I may look at putting some kind of caulk in that expansion gap to minimize the impact to this wheel bearing issue.

This is my testimony on my RecTeq experience…why I chose it and why it will most likely be my next choice if/when I buy another pellet grill…assuming I live longer than this grill. 😊

You made a great decision, the upset people are making a mountain out of a mole hill.
Agee from the standpoint of not having it. I don’t care for lawn maintenance folks touching my grill 😬 but I also agree it seems we are pole vaulting over mouse turds , it’s a good unit at its price point and mine just works. Now the hold the off button for three seconds…..

Hence why @Jim6820 left the forum . This poor guy senses hate here. Not what the forum should suggest.
Not sure @Mike can do much here.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back