Bull Good or bad idea to use gasket on door of RT 700

👆This- 100%👆. My Lavalock has shifted to the point of barely being useful. Has anyone found a good gasket that doesn’t shift (with a variety of temps)? I’m planning on removing mine and starting over.

I liked it before it shifted, because I like clean things, but I hate cleaning.

I used Fireblack and so far it has withstood a nasty grease fire that went over the chart in temps. And many hi heat cooks in the 500+ range and tests.

Others may have different experience.

Fireblack

I used Fireblack and so far it has withstood a nasty grease fire that went over the chart in temps. And many hi heat cooks in the 500+ range and tests.

Others may have different experience.

Fireblack
Thank you!

No one has commented on the what happens when the applied seal grows old and loaded with soot and grease. There comes a time when removal and replacement are indicated. My seal has been working for over 2.5 years now and is gummy. As long as it stays in place and works, I will not touch it. Has anyone removed and replaced? If so, how was it accomplished without a major sludge mess. How did you avoid damage to the lid coating?

No one has commented on the what happens when the applied seal grows old and loaded with soot and grease. There comes a time when removal and replacement are indicated. My seal has been working for over 2.5 years now and is gummy. As long as it stays in place and works, I will not touch it. Has anyone removed and replaced? If so, how was it accomplished without a major sludge mess. How did you avoid damage to the lid coating?

Good question.

On my 700, I installed the seal on the drum, rather than the door. Clean up will not be much of a job to replace it the same way. The only downside I've noted is that you see the seal around the edge of the door when it's closed. But it's been on there close to 1 1/2 years or more.

How did you avoid damage to the lid coating?

Let it blow off and RecTeq will replace it. Or let the wind damage it :unsure: ..

Seriously, when I put mine on I didn't think it would be a hassle to remove & clean up the area again to install another. I guess I'll see when I get to that point. No gummy stuff on mine yet but it's not a 100% liquid seal so there are traces below on the outside. I assume the gasket is absorbing some of that.

oh and i put a gasket on my rt700 and overall i like it better. the door closes softer and it actually make the grill alittle quieter which is nice because we watch football and tv on the deck. just do it. it’s easy to remove

Here are photos of my 700 lid and door frame of smoke box. It has been on for well over a year with no problems.

Attachments

• 20210221_104753.jpg
    20210221_104753.jpg
    731.5 KB · Views: 110
  • 20210221_104744.jpg
    20210221_104744.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 112

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back