Stampede GMG pizza oven is awesome

If the demo units become available grab one for $75. Mine just arrived and I can’t find any sign of use. Now to get it in action.

View attachment 14661
Yeah, looks new to me, nice score...

Mine sits ~1/8" higher than the front/rear rails, so I set a piece of 1/4"x1"x12" plate steel on the rails to raise them up a little. I guess you could bend the front/rear tabs downward, but for me, the scrap plate steel works fine.

Now show us some finished pizzas, your pooch is ready
🍕🍕🍕

Yeah, looks new to me, nice score...

Mine sits ~1/8" higher than the front/rear rails, so I set a piece of 1/4"x1"x12" plate steel on the rails to raise them up a little. I guess you could bend the front/rear tabs downward, but for me, the scrap plate steel works fine.

Now show us some finished pizzas, your pooch is ready
🍕🍕🍕

Cool.. I have some good steel scraps around that should work for that.

Yeah.. that is Gracie. My pups are so spoiled they think every package that comes into the house is for them.. Of course it is :).

Looking forward to posting some pizzas myself and devouring them!

I was considering getting one of these GMG pizza ovens but kept thinking... Every time I wanted to used it, I'd have to remove the grates, drip tray and heat deflector, store them somewhere, then install the pizza oven. Cook a few pizzas for several minutes each, let everything cool off, remove the pizza oven, store it somewhere, put the heat deflector, drip tray and grates back on. Nothing difficult about it, just seems like a pain in a$$ every time I wanted to use the pizza oven for 10 minutes worth of cook time.

I've used a pizza stone on my Weber gas grill with rotisserie burner on (for above pizza browning) which has worked great for many years, but missing the wood smoke flavor, even when using the built in smoke box filled with wood chips, the smoke just never goes across the pizza enough to impart smoke flavor.

So tonight, I used the pizza stone on the 590 and it came out great with a nice crispy crust. Sure it took 10 minutes instead of a few minutes like the GMG pizza oven, but I'm okay with that since I didn't have to go through the routine of removed and reinstalling all the grill parts. Plus the stone takes very little storage space compared to the pizza oven, which it pretty large.

I don't have Papa Murphy near me so I make my own dough in the bread machine. Used parchment paper making it much easier to slide the pizza on the stone.

I can understand if you need to cook many pizzas (pizza party), the reduced cook time using the pizza oven would really pay off. I don't cook a lot of pizzas at once, so for my needs, the pizza stone works fine. I have another slightly smaller stone, so the 590 can easily cook 2 pizzas at the same time which is plenty for my needs. YMMV

RT-590 pizza (our pizza is squarish, because we don't cut corners, locals will understand)
View attachment 10961

Weber pizza
View attachment 10960
View attachment 10962
Are you talking about Ledo Pizza?

Well the person that wrote this manual is quite the character.. I would love to hang out with him/her and have a few 🍻 🍻 🍻 🍻 .. Not sure if all GMG manuals are comical but this one is a hoot!

23F580A7-E54F-4893-BE37-305A953F30CD.jpeg

F391DC29-D74C-4A50-9915-4D7001D4E1DE.jpeg

2B97D882-4CE1-4856-945F-163FDACFCF86.jpeg

Yup, been going to the Olney location since the mid 70s. I'm guessing with a user name like Northbethesda (a.k.a. south Rockville), you're local ;)
I was local. I moved to Gilbert, AZ 11 months ago. I'll be in the DMV next month and will def stop by Ledo. I always eat there when I go back (like Oprah). I love their crust. To me it taste like half pie and half pizza crust. I tried to replicate it in the past. The texture was the same, but the taste wasn't. Upon further research, I believe lard is what gives it that unique taste.

I was local. I moved to Gilbert, AZ 11 months ago. I'll be in the DMV next month and will def stop by Ledo. I always eat there when I go back (like Oprah). I love their crust. To me it taste like half pie and half pizza crust. I tried to replicate it in the past. The texture was the same, but the taste wasn't. Upon further research, I believe lard is what gives it that unique taste.
Agreed, the crust is unique, kinda flaky like a pastry, yet still has some chew. I get a half baked for take out and finish baking when I get home. Instructions for half baked says to turn your oven as high as it goes, then bake til done 🔥

Hey guys thanks for all the great info.
I just bought the oven off of ebay from esesstoves, with shipping and tax $102.00.
It arrived in 2 days and the pizza oven has never been used and everything was in like new condition.

Weather right now is Georgia is mostly rain for the next few days. Plan to give it a go next week and see how it preforms.

Question for other GMG stove owners once the stone comes up to temp (590 door closed) do you bake your pies with the grill door open or do you close it between turning the pie?

Best Greg

Hey guys thanks for all the great info.
I just bought the oven off of ebay from esesstoves, with shipping and tax $102.00.
It arrived in 2 days and the pizza oven has never been used and everything was in like new condition.

Weather right now is Georgia is mostly rain for the next few days. Plan to give it a go next week and see how it preforms.

Question for other GMG stove owners once the stone comes up to temp (590 door closed) do you bake your pies with the grill door open or do you close it between turning the pie?

Best Greg
As I mentioned in my previous post, the same distributor in your link has them for $96 shipped using coupon "winter10" directly from their web site :unsure:

You'll loose a lot of heat with the lid open so I only open it to spin the pie. Now show some finished pizzas...

I made a diffuser out of stainless to hopefully prevent too much heat on the bottom and burning the bottom.. no idea how it will work just cut it out and tested it to make sure it didn't melt LOL. It was a quick one and not perfect but think it will do the job. The flames otherwise would lick the bottom pan directly I think.

8DB5B113-C91E-4C67-8C43-A2995D3283E6.jpeg

111CDF1A-CF3F-4228-9339-D6EF1E9D2BBF.jpeg

0BF85AF5-0506-4B2D-AEA2-02E2C68DCCD0.jpeg

I made a diffuser out of stainless to hopefully prevent too much heat on the bottom and burning the bottom.. no idea how it will work just cut it out and tested it to make sure it didn't melt LOL. It was a quick one and not perfect but think it will do the job. The flames otherwise would lick the bottom pan directly I think.

View attachment 14712

View attachment 14713

View attachment 14714

View attachment 14715
thats pretty dang cool! close to 1000 degrees! i like it!

What is the reason for your new DIY diffuser?

For the pizza oven attachment. With the stock design the fitting goes over the firepot as you see from my pic and directly into the lower chamber of the pizza oven. There are no baffles inside that so the flames shoot straight up and heat the center of the area just under the stone and create a hot spot.

My intention is to try and distribute the heat more than just direct to the bottom of the oven.

Hope I'm making sense. I can take pictures of that to explain.

Here is that view from the bottom I'm talking about

pizza1.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back