Stampede New 590 works with GMG Pizza oven?

commanderkeen

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Hey all, new to the forum and about to be new to a Deck Boss 590 for Christmas. I of course am excited about the smoking ability, but I also want something that can double as a pizza oven to avoid yet another discrete appliance. It sounds like this is a recent name change/upgrade, I've read from several people that the GMG pizza oven works with the RT-590, I'm wondering if anyone has any experience yet with it working with the new version or if they're similar enough that I could reasonably anticipate it working? Thanks in advance, excited to get my new smoker!

And while I'm at it, any particular smoker cover recommendations?

I have the Deck Boss too, had not considered that. I did some just using pizza stones on the grate, not anywhere near the temps the oven will reach. Good results, but that looks like a great add on to get a real pizza oven setup.
I have the stock recteq cover for the Deck Boss, I'm pretty happy with it. Time will tell how it holds up, it fits well but goes on and off easy enough that I use it, seems to be durable and well made.

@commanderkeen - nice name....
wrt the Deck Boss, I guess someone has to go first. It's Christmas - return windows are pretty big, give it a go.
For the cover, "Covers&All" as regularly suggested by @Greg Jones. I bought their top quality cover, custom to my grill. They're pretty fast and the cover is WAY nicer than the recteq oem cover.

I wasn't familiar with "Covers&All" , those do look very nice and they appear to have 30% off right now. Will remember them if the oem cover doesn't hold up.

I wasn't familiar with "Covers&All" , those do look very nice and they appear to have 30% off right now. Will remember them if the oem cover doesn't hold up.
It won’t ;)
Learn from those that have gone before you. Maybe start a swear jar and you’ll have enough by the time the oem cover gives out.

Yeah, I'm periodically staring out my back window watching my OEM cover being pummeled by early season rain. It survived two winters with no issue. I'm hoping I can make it through winter #3.

Yeah, I'm periodically staring out my back window watching my OEM cover being pummeled by early season rain. It survived two winters with no issue. I'm hoping I can make it through winter #3.
My cover didn’t make 18 months in Chicago, I could have warrantied it, but skipped the middle step and went for a real solution.

If someone with a Deck Boss 590 takes a measurement from the top of the firepot to the cooking grates, I can measure my GMG pizza oven I use in my older 590 to determine if it fits the Boss. Pretty sure the front to back measurement are the same @19.25".
If I remember correctly, someone said it didn't fit the 1070 without an some modifications.

Well I ordered both and they'll be arriving on the 28th, so I'll update this after I get a chance to try it out!

Enjoy the new toys, pics for attention (y)

IMG_3467.JPG
IMG_3495.JPG
IMG_3984.JPG

I did a search of the Q&A for the GMG pizza oven using the word Recteq. Someone posted that the pizza oven DOES fit a 590. I just added one to my Wish List. Thanks Commander for creating this thread. Oh, and Happy Holidays!

I did a search of the Q&A for the GMG pizza oven using the word Recteq. Someone posted that the pizza oven DOES fit a 590. I just added one to my Wish List. Thanks Commander for creating this thread. Oh, and Happy Holidays!
Several us have been successfully using the GMG pizza oven on our previous generation 590s for years, but the OP is asking if anyone knows if it will work on the new Deck Boss 590, which is a little different than the previous model 590.
Did you see reference in the Q&A for the GMG that the new Deck Boss 590 works with it?

Yes, I can confirm the new 590 fits the GMG. Don't have pics of the setup but made some BBQ chicken as well as pepperoni/cheese, it all just got here yesterday, made some chicken thighs last night, and used the leftover thigh meat for the pizzas tonight.

Also, I'm a snob when it comes to pizza crust but I gotta say, the BBQ pizza on an Aldi pre made dough was more than good in a pinch after work. You can tell the BBQ had a little more time to proof than the pepperoni and it made a huge difference.

IMG_5017_20240104_195356.jpg

IMG_5019_20240104_195356.jpg

Time to start making your own dough... 100% poolish/3gm yeast(i usually do 1000gms of flour @ 65% hydration).. So 650gm flour mixed with 650gm water and 3gm yeast... Mix so all flour and water is mixed together... Cover bowl and let sit overnight... Next am add the rest of the flour (350gm) and another 3gm of yeast along with salt(3%-30gms) I use a Kitchen Aid(though can be done by hand)... Mix till sides of bowls is clean and the dough is showing a smooth outside... I usually do 3 - 5min sessions on setting 2-- letting is rest 5 mins between... Now put a bowl on your scale-- so you can weigh the dough balls.. (pro tip-- get a olive oil sprayer)-- spray the weigh bowl and spray your hands a bit.. After weighing-- ball into nice tight balls and get your proofing bowls.. Spray a light coating of OO in the proofing bowl.. Place dough ball in and let partially rise... After about a hour.. Cover and place All your dough bowls (i usually have 5 DB's) into the refrigerator... Since you used a poolish- you can use a dough ball that day(though not as good) or the next day(its going to be better after a day or 2 in the refrigerator)..

Lazy dough....

1 bottle of beer
3-3/4 Flour
3T sugar
1.5t salt
1.5T butter
1.5t yeast

Put it in the Bread maker, dough cycle, makes four 12" pizzas. (or two 16" if you like breadier crust)

Oh no worries, I do make my own dough, I was just impatient above and wanted to make pizza that night. I usually make a neapolitan dough with flour, yeast, salt, and water with a 2-3 day cold fermentation time.

Time to start making your own dough... 100% poolish/3gm yeast(i usually do 1000gms of flour @ 65% hydration).. So 650gm flour mixed with 650gm water and 3gm yeast... Mix so all flour and water is mixed together... Cover bowl and let sit overnight... Next am add the rest of the flour (350gm) and another 3gm of yeast along with salt(3%-30gms) I use a Kitchen Aid(though can be done by hand)... Mix till sides of bowls is clean and the dough is showing a smooth outside... I usually do 3 - 5min sessions on setting 2-- letting is rest 5 mins between... Now put a bowl on your scale-- so you can weigh the dough balls.. (pro tip-- get a olive oil sprayer)-- spray the weigh bowl and spray your hands a bit.. After weighing-- ball into nice tight balls and get your proofing bowls.. Spray a light coating of OO in the proofing bowl.. Place dough ball in and let partially rise... After about a hour.. Cover and place All your dough bowls (i usually have 5 DB's) into the refrigerator... Since you used a poolish- you can use a dough ball that day(though not as good) or the next day(its going to be better after a day or 2 in the refrigerator)..
Without pics of the awesome results, this didn't happen 😋
6 grams seems like a lot of yeast, curious what type you're using, active dry, instant dry, or fresh?

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back