Finishing wings in an Air Fryer

Gonefishin

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
I didn’t want to mess up the Super Bowl thread so I’m asking about Air Fryer use here.

I have a small standalone Air Fryer that only does a handful of wings, but the new oven has Air Fryer mode that I’ve only tried for fish sticks and chicken nuggets for the grand kids. What I’ve noticed is the cook time is at more than the standalone, even at the same temp. So now I’m
looking up wings on the internet and all I get is folks using standalone units.

Does anyone have more experience then I using the home oven type? I’m wondering what I should cook on, I used drying rack on a cookie sheet for the fish and chicken, is there a better way for wings? It would sure be nice doing all the wings at once instead of a handful at a time.

I’d be smoking them on the RT and hopefully crisping in the oven.

Hmmmm, we got a new oven a few years ago and it has an air frier option. I haven't really used it b/c compared to a small stand alone unit, it takes awhile to heat up. So we use our stand alone air fryer almost all the time b/c it saves a ton of time.

If you do use your oven as an air fryer, I would suggest you definiteliy pre-heat. But as far as how they cook, hopefully someone has a good answer for you.

I will be doing some smoke/fried wings for the Super Bowl. They are tough to beat.

My only beef with air fryers are the quantity of what I can cook at a time. My recycled photo from a while back shows my process. 30 minutes of smoke at low and then into the fryer. No rub, seasoning, etc. before cooking as I usually give people options of salt and pepper, buffalo style, or Thai chili garlic sticky wings.

IMG_0816.jpeg

One tip is to put a sheet pan under teh perferated rack teh wings are on to collect the grease and fat drippings

That might be part of the problem, the oven is supposed to be “no preheat air fry”.

I smoke my wings for 2 hours on low.

Curious what temp you set your oil to?

I didn’t want to mess up the Super Bowl thread so I’m asking about Air Fryer use here.

I have a small standalone Air Fryer that only does a handful of wings, but the new oven has Air Fryer mode that I’ve only tried for fish sticks and chicken nuggets for the grand kids. What I’ve noticed is the cook time is at more than the standalone, even at the same temp. So now I’m
looking up wings on the internet and all I get is folks using standalone units.

Does anyone have more experience then I using the home oven type? I’m wondering what I should cook on, I used drying rack on a cookie sheet for the fish and chicken, is there a better way for wings? It would sure be nice doing all the wings at once instead of a handful at a time.

I’d be smoking them on the RT and hopefully crisping in the oven.
Funny you should ask…

About all I’ve ever done in my Ninja Air Fryer has been frozen foods…like you were referring to. But I recently bought a cookbook specific to my air fryer because I wanted to do more with it…or get rid of it. Most of the air fried frozen items are too salty and still too greasy. I’m looking to do more fresh food cooking with it…or get rid of it. I’ll try to provide updates as I gain more experience.

IMG_0980.jpeg
IMG_0981.jpeg

I suggest looking online or on YouTube for recipes specific to your model. From what I’ve read, your model may do a better job that most others.

I have my air fryer sitting on the back deck waiting for me to go the the firing range the next time, haha. Probably just me but I have tried wings, fries, regular chicken, nuggets, thighs, and other proteins and they always seem a little on the dry side for my taste. On the other hand, I heat up a pot full of oil and cook the same things and they are delicious. Another gripe I have is the clean up. If you use the recommended rack(s) it collects particles that take a power washer to remove. Further, the inside of the air fryer is difficult to clean and has grease residue in places that are hard to reach. I know air fryers are popular but for me air fryers will be the “bread machine” of this decade.

air fryers will be the “bread machine” of this decade.
Still use the bread machine (Zojirushi). 2lb Italian wheat loaf rounded up to the nearest dollar is $1 and the pizza dough comes out great too with very little effort on my part.
I have the Kalorik french door airfryer. I don't cook anything in it. It's great to re-crisp leftover chicken and pizza, any frozen foods like mozzarella sticks, poppers, chicken tendies. Also garlic bread, toasted burger buns or an open face tuna sandwich. Racks are stainless and go into the dishwasher, the french doors are glass and are a pita. Still not a bad little appliance. Gets used almost daily.

@SmokeZilla …I agree with your air fryer sentiments. I bought that recipe book to give it one last try cooking fresh foods. If I don’t achieve satisfaction, I’m getting rid of it and get that Zojirushi bread machine @SmokeOCD mentioned in another post. 🤭

I have my air fryer sitting on the back deck waiting for me to go the the firing range the next time, haha. Probably just me but I have tried wings, fries, regular chicken, nuggets, thighs, and other proteins and they always seem a little on the dry side for my taste. On the other hand, I heat up a pot full of oil and cook the same things and they are delicious. Another gripe I have is the clean up. If you use the recommended rack(s) it collects particles that take a power washer to remove. Further, the inside of the air fryer is difficult to clean and has grease residue in places that are hard to reach. I know air fryers are popular but for me air fryers will be the “bread machine” of this decade.
You’re talking me into NOT trying the air fryer and using the kettle like usual. It’s a pain cleaning the small standalone air fryer much less having to tackle the oven.

Personally I’ve tried the oven and air fryer and I prefer the air fryer. I have wings for Sunday and because of the number of wings, I’ll use the oven but I must admit, I’m not juiced about it.

If you’re interested I’ve copied my wing dust recipe for air fryers. I have a small two shelf fryer I rotate the shelves halfway through. The top cooks faster.

Air fryer wings

1 teaspoon of dried onion, 2 teaspoons garlic salt, 1 teaspoon of Lowery’s salt, 1 teaspoon of granulated garlic, 1/2 a teaspoon of cayenne pepper, a teaspoon of paprika, eighth of a teaspoon of paprika, half a teaspoon of ground pepper half a teaspoon of baking soda

15 minutes at 300, turning at 7.5 minutes and rotating shelves, 400 for 15 minutes turning at 7.5 minutes and rotating shelves.

These turn out perfect, toss them in Franks hot sauce with butter and there you go. Can’t wait until Sunday!

I know this wasn’t solicited but here’s how I do it on my recteq. They come out crispy.

Dry off wings

Season with an equal mixture of your favorite seasoning, Franks Red Hot Powder, baking powder (not baking soda)

Smoke at 180 for 1 hour

Flip wings and smoke at 325, 25 minutes

They should be nice and crispy. If not crank up that heat to 450 until crispy.

Roll in a bowl with sauce.

1707575149236.jpeg

Personally I’ve tried the oven and air fryer and I prefer the air fryer. I have wings for Sunday and because of the number of wings, I’ll use the oven but I must admit, I’m not juiced about it.

If you’re interested I’ve copied my wing dust recipe for air fryers. I have a small two shelf fryer I rotate the shelves halfway through. The top cooks faster.

Air fryer wings

1 teaspoon of dried onion, 2 teaspoons garlic salt, 1 teaspoon of Lowery’s salt, 1 teaspoon of granulated garlic, 1/2 a teaspoon of cayenne pepper, a teaspoon of paprika, eighth of a teaspoon of paprika, half a teaspoon of ground pepper half a teaspoon of baking soda

15 minutes at 300, turning at 7.5 minutes and rotating shelves, 400 for 15 minutes turning at 7.5 minutes and rotating shelves.

These turn out perfect, toss them in Franks hot sauce with butter and there you go. Can’t wait until Sunday!
Baking powder OR baking soda?

I know this wasn’t solicited but here’s how I do it on my recteq. They come out crispy.

Dry off wings

Season with an equal mixture of your favorite seasoning, Franks Red Hot Powder, baking powder (not baking soda)

Smoke at 180 for 1 hour

They should be nice and crispy. If not crank up that heat to 450 until crispy.

Roll in a bowl with sauce.

View attachment 21192
16826939520292504358004097765917.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srbbates
Back