Starting Full Packer brisket at 180F then finishing at 225F

Thanks BB. I may give it a try down the road, but I am already changing a couple of parameters of my previous method and adding one more major change for T'giving cook is begging for problems.
I hear ya on that one. The big turkey is my contribution each year. I would be hesitant to deviate too much at once.

I've habitually injected flats with Minors low sodium beef base reconstituted with water. It doesn't add a lot of salt or alternative seasoning like some of the other commercial injections, but keeps the flat moist and happy. In short it addresses the moisture issue in the flat without messing with the meat flavor.

Getting ready for the Thanksgiving brisket cook.

I have been looking for a second level grill rack for my RT-590 since the RecTeq second level stand/grill grate is next to useless as it consumes as much space as it provides.

I found this on Amazon. Green mountain for Davy Crockett grill 14" x 10" x 3.5"
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T263GNS?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

There is a larger one for a Daniel boon but it seems to be higher making access difficult and the legs run in the same direction of the RT-590 grill rods so it tends to fall through. ( I cut four short pieces of copper strapping to bridge the gaps). At the end it was just too much messing with it.

Not sure if the brisket will fit on the second rack but it looks like a keeper for other things in the future if not.

I said above: "There is a larger one for a Daniel boon but it seems to be higher...."

Had a second look and the issue is the Daniel Boone one is no longer than the one for the Davy Crockett but the additional width brings it too close to the top of the 590 door opening.

Did the overnight cook.

Short Story:

Trimmed then dry brined 24 hrs in covered kitchen tray then added rub.

Starting at 8pm:

4 hrs @180 F with two smoke tubes
4hrs @225F
Wrapped w/ butcher paper
4hrs @ 235F 203 F flat and point
Put in cooler 4 hrs then warming over for 6hrs.

Long story:

15lb 8oz Costco prime brisket trimmed to 11 lbs then dry brined w/ Kosher Salt flakes (Dixie Crystal) Kept on a rack in fridge in a large covered kitchen tray for 24hrs.

Rendered about 1 lb of trimmed fat at 250F in the oven for wrapping.

Sprayed with water then covered w/ Meathead’s Big Bad Beef rub w/ paprika added.

Placed on 3.5” high Green Mountain Grills GMG-6034 Collapsible Upper Rack with RT probes on flat and point and temp probe under rack 1.5” off RT-590 grill.

Put a few pellets in 590 burn pot, put brisket on grill, lit two smoke tubes, and then started grill on LOW (no preheat). Huge amounts of smoke! Let it run for 4 hrs. Then bumped temp up to 225F for 4hrs (165F internal both probes). When I wrapped w/ butcher paper I covered the areas of the paper that would be touching the brisket w/ the rendered fat/tallow.

Back on grill at 235F w/ probes inserted through paper.

Got notification at 8AM that both flat and point were at 203F. Tested w/ instant read for temp and texture. Also, felt the brisket and it was jiggly.

Pulled it off and wrapped in another layer of paper the put in cooler Faux Cambro for 4 hrs then moved to warming drawer in stove for 6hrs.

When I took it out of paper and put on the cutting board the whole thing jiggled. Bark was nice and enjoyed by all.

Probably more than you wanted to know but it was the best brisket I have ever done.

Thanksgiving brisket ready to go sm.jpg

Moved left smoke tube to the front when it seemed to be affecting the RT temp probe seen on left
Thanksgiving brisket finished product sm.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back