Finishing a Partially Cooked Tri Tip

Imshasta

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
I had a party this past weekend and had a Santa Maria BBQ guy come with his huge grill. He gave us a whole leftover tri tip which has been cooked to very rare. I like my tri tip more done than that and wonder if I could smoke it to finish it. It was grilled over red oak and already has a wonderful smoky flavor to it.
Any thoughts? Maybe smoke it for an hour or so? My concern is that the smoky flavors may compete.

RecTec Ult Blend is red and white oak. Should work fine. But about any wood should work nicely. I like mesquite.

If you are dead set against adding any smoke, wrap it in foil and put it in the oven or sous vide it. Nothing says you have to cook it whole either. You can slice it cold (it slices much nicer), then bag it and sous vide or oven bake it in small quantities.

Also, you might consider whipping up a dipping au jus. My usual tritip au jus is beef stock (not broth), a generous dash of the rub (or salt and pepper), a splash of soy sauce or Dale's Steak Seasoning, a tiny bit of worchestershire, a splash of red wine and heat it to steep in the rub. You can pour this over your tritip or dip it at the table.

I had a party this past weekend and had a Santa Maria BBQ guy come with his huge grill. He gave us a whole leftover tri tip which has been cooked to very rare. I like my tri tip more done than that and wonder if I could smoke it to finish it. It was grilled over red oak and already has a wonderful smoky flavor to it.
Any thoughts? Maybe smoke it for an hour or so? My concern is that the smoky flavors may compete.
Check out the recteq Facebook video page from yesterday (May 25, 2021) where Chef Greg cooked a leftover tri-tip (Braised BBQ Beef Sandwich). It looked absolutely wonderful.

I did this last night for my wife. She prefers her tritip a bit more done than my rare/med rare, so I sliced hers thin, and heated on the skillet for 1-2 minutes with a dash of water. I put mine on a sandwich cold with some horseradish. If I was going to do a whole tritip, I'd wrap it and throw it on the bull until temp was where I wanted it with a probe.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back