BFG EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED

Jneece1

Grill(s) owned
  1. BFG
I have had the Recteq RT2500 for just about a month and have had multiple issues with back burning. I have cleaned this unit very thoroughly many times and have changed pellets using 3 different brands including the ones Recteq sends in their bundles. I have made sure to follow every instruction to the letter, have talked with customer service a couple of times, and after another back burn last night, I don't even get a call back today after leaving them a message.
By no means am I a rookie to pellet grills or smokers. I have had plenty over the years and haven't had any issues other than wanting to upgrade to bigger and better.
This thing back burns to the point of catching the hopper on fire twice. It is at the point where I am afraid to even turn this thing on for fear of a fire. A fire not only on a new grill but a new custom construction home.
For the price that this bundle costs, I expect better quality and better customer service. Hell, I had a cheap Pit Boss with no "extras" that was only $500 that never caught on fire in any way even under the heaviest use from 200 degrees to 400 degrees.
This thing back burns from 225 all the way to 450 degrees and doesn't matter if you turn it down, turn it to low, or turn it off.
This is the first and last Recteq I will ever own and recommend not wasting your time or money

Will never understand the philosophy to add pellets at the end of the shutdown cycle when they can still be glowing/smoldering. They should just do that at the startup. Maybe they just don't want to admit anything at this stage for exposure but who knows.

Welcome to the Forum!! There are still a lot of great helpful folks here regardless to make the most of it. Maybe someone a lot smarter than me (should not be difficult to find someone) will have some real ideas other than what you have been through.

Will never understand the philosophy to add pellets at the end of the shutdown cycle when they can still be glowing/smoldering. They should just do that at the startup. Maybe they just don't want to admit anything at this stage for exposure but who knows.

Welcome to the Forum!! There are still a lot of great helpful folks here regardless to make the most of it. Maybe someone a lot smarter than me (should not be difficult to find someone) will have some real ideas other than what you have been through.
Thanks for the support. I really hope this gets resolved and the unit works as it should without catching on fire. I do like the size and construction but can't say much else as I have to watch and baby it like a stick burner.

Call Recteq President Ray Carnes to get the ball rolling your way. The last phone number I can find for him is (706) 294-1729. Not sure if it is still good, but worth a try.

I’ve experienced this on the RT-340 and 2 different Bullseyes, never experienced this on the RT-700 which may be unusual as it has the shortest auger length of any of my 3 recteq pellet grills. Not going to point fingers or anything, but I’ve never encountered this on the only other pellet grill brand that I have experience with.

Call Recteq President Ray Carnes to get the ball rolling your way. The last phone number I can find for him is (706) 294-1729. Not sure if it is still good, but worth a try.
Thanks I will try to reach out to him

I’ve experienced this on the RT-340 and 2 different Bullseyes, never experienced this on the RT-700 which may be unusual as it has the shortest auger length of any of my 3 recteq pellet grills. Not going to point fingers or anything, but I’ve never encountered this on the only other pellet grill brand that I have experience with.
Yeah I haven't had the issue with either of the other brands I have owned.

I remember the pic you posted when it was in your living room - the distance from the feed tube to the bottom of the burn pot is obviously why you get no burn back. Probably wouldn't be such an engineering feat for recteq to make it a deeper cup as well.

Michigan and I am looking to get a full refund. I would not be comfortable selling it to someone knowing there is a fire hazard and a liability waiting to happen.
Push hard - if you go too long they're going to want to get restocking fees out of you. Good Luck!

I figured the pellet feed at the end of shutdown was to void the auger barrel of any hot or smoldering pellets, unsure why else. I have not experienced a back burn in any of my RT grills.
By chance the grill is not being shut off or unplugged before allowing the evacuation to happen ?

I have had the Recteq RT2500 for just about a month and have had multiple issues with back burning. I have cleaned this unit very thoroughly many times and have changed pellets using 3 different brands including the ones Recteq sends in their bundles. I have made sure to follow every instruction to the letter, have talked with customer service a couple of times, and after another back burn last night, I don't even get a call back today after leaving them a message.
By no means am I a rookie to pellet grills or smokers. I have had plenty over the years and haven't had any issues other than wanting to upgrade to bigger and better.
This thing back burns to the point of catching the hopper on fire twice. It is at the point where I am afraid to even turn this thing on for fear of a fire. A fire not only on a new grill but a new custom construction home.
For the price that this bundle costs, I expect better quality and better customer service. Hell, I had a cheap Pit Boss with no "extras" that was only $500 that never caught on fire in any way even under the heaviest use from 200 degrees to 400 degrees.
This thing back burns from 225 all the way to 450 degrees and doesn't matter if you turn it down, turn it to low, or turn it off.
This is the first and last Recteq I will ever own and recommend not wasting your time or money
Are you allowing the full shutdown feature to happen (just asking?) blower timer as well as pellet feed, or turning off power when done cooking?
Curious because I have owned 3 different models of RT's , many hundreds of cooks, and never had this happen.
Maybe there is a setting off that RT can help you through?
* I have never owned a 1250 , so I can't speak on that model ****

Good luck sorting it out.

Agree that the pellet feed after blower runs on shut down is ludicrous, but so far I have had no back burn issues on my 590. The fan should run longer on shut down, and agree the feed ramp from auger to pot should have more height. Anyone local near Rectec, should address this issue with them in person, also let the powers that be know that this is a HOT discussion on the forum......it's not imagination.

My thought to resolve this issue is to make a metal flapper. The pellets can come out, but not back in (which includes fire).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back