Stampede Disappointed with tech support

Lbeberdick

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Have sent 2 pre-purchase questions to RecTeq support, 1 is about smoke level in the 590. The other was about 590 vent ports to keep rain out of grill while cooking. They answered neither question after 4 days. Is this typical?

I don't know what the Rec Teq customer service operating hours are, but regardless I wouldn't expect immediate response over the weekend. Especially for something as non-pressing issues, in fact not even an issue. Just a pre-sales question.

If you must get immediate response then call them or ask here. While we're not RecTeq nearly everyone here owns one and can very gladly try to answer your questions. ;)

It sounds like we understand your concerns, and it can be frustrating not to hear back when you expect a quick response. A couple people here have provided several suggestions, such as calling RT, and/or asking us here in the forum if we might know, although I'm not sure we've heard the exact questions yet. While another company might give you the quick email response you like, make sure to know what priorities what you want from a company and grill in the long term. Personally I've had nothing but positive results from RT calling me back, and more importantly to me, enjoyment and reliability from my grill. I wish you the same.

Another thing to consider is who are you getting a response from? I don’t know squat about GG-perhaps their support is the real deal. Perhaps their support is a call center 5k miles away from someone who has never seen a grill? But the recteq support Folks are all local to Evans, GA, own one or more recteq grills, and have been trained hands on for how to use them.

The smoke level in my 590 is pretty good,I’m happy with it. As far as rain getting in,I’ve never had a problem.

To be fair, what you're asking for is "pre-purchase sales", not "tech support", sure the same people may do both, I don't know for sure.
If you want quicker answers, ask your questions here and I'm sure people with real world experience will pipe in with answers, if you don't trust the answers here, as others have mentioned, call RT directly, I did and they answered all my questions. Realize Labor day is coming up so they may be busier than typical :unsure:

Have sent 2 pre-purchase questions to RecTeq support, 1 is about smoke level in the 590. The other was about 590 vent ports to keep rain out of grill while cooking. They answered neither question after 4 days. Is this typical?
What do you want to know exactly? We can help!

I was thinking of buying a pellet smoker last week, and like you had some pre-sale questions..
I called recteq around 9am last friday the 27th, after one ring they picked up and I talked to Evan for about an hour and we compared the woodwind 24, a cheaper pitboss I could have picked up at lowes on friday and the Recteq-590, at the end of that call I was still on the fence, but he answered all my questions.

I then went to lowes and looked at the pitboss, and wasn't happy with the thin metal in the ash cleanout, the show floor model had some clear airgaps, so I decided I would rather not have the ash cleanout or that model and then was deciding between the woodwind and the 590, but I was till a bit hesitant about the rear grill and the shipping time.. so around 2pm I went home and called rec-teq again. This time I talked to Mark after 2 rings, and we talked about warranty and what would happen if I modified the grill, talked through scenarios where I broke things, and in all cases he said it would be covered.

at this point I was now very much leaning the 590, just needed to convince the wife.. so I called camp-chef and spent 20 minutes on hold, then talked to someone unable to really answer any questions.

then i bought the 590.. hope its worth the wait. **I live across the country from georgia so its going to be a week and a half or so....

Point is, the phone number is great, try using it.

I have had very quick responses from recteq support. That being said, lol, I have gotten 6 of those all weather vents, all gratis, only 3 are useable. One of them I had to repair myself. 2 of the 6 were missing one support, and shipped that way, one broke trying to install, spot weld let go and the one I repaired spot weld didn’t hold in shipping. I can see why they changed the design.

I was thinking of buying a pellet smoker last week, and like you had some pre-sale questions..
I called recteq around 9am last friday the 27th, after one ring they picked up and I talked to Evan for about an hour and we compared the woodwind 24, a cheaper pitboss I could have picked up at lowes on friday and the Recteq-590, at the end of that call I was still on the fence, but he answered all my questions.

I then went to lowes and looked at the pitboss, and wasn't happy with the thin metal in the ash cleanout, the show floor model had some clear airgaps, so I decided I would rather not have the ash cleanout or that model and then was deciding between the woodwind and the 590, but I was till a bit hesitant about the rear grill and the shipping time.. so around 2pm I went home and called rec-teq again. This time I talked to Mark after 2 rings, and we talked about warranty and what would happen if I modified the grill, talked through scenarios where I broke things, and in all cases he said it would be covered.

at this point I was now very much leaning the 590, just needed to convince the wife.. so I called camp-chef and spent 20 minutes on hold, then talked to someone unable to really answer any questions.

then i bought the 590.. hope its worth the wait. **I live across the country from georgia so its going to be a week and a half or so....

Point is, the phone number is great, try using it.
Welcome fellow 590 owner! I really enjoy mine,it’s a good size for my family needs ! Enjoy

I have had very quick responses from recteq support. That being said, lol, I have gotten 6 of those all weather vents, all gratis, only 3 are useable. One of them I had to repair myself. 2 of the 6 were missing one support, and shipped that way, one broke trying to install, spot weld let go and the one I repaired spot weld didn’t hold in shipping. I can see why they changed the design.
Same here. The welds sucked and I had some
broken ones but they replaced them no questions asked. Once they’re on with hi-temp, they’re solid.

75BEC1F8-F040-48FD-A61F-9B3224C37EE6.jpeg

Last edited:
Welcome fellow 590 owner! I really enjoy mine,it’s a good size for my family needs ! Enjoy
I just hope it gets here soon :p, I currently use an Ugly drum smoker with charcoal and wood chunks, getting super tired of tending the fire and all the work and my pit is starting to get in need of rebuilding.
My brother got a pit boss recently and at first I was like "pellet poopers can't smoke real food" then I helped him do some chicken and the results I got were almost just as good as I would have got on my pit, I was impressed.

A few more cooks and honestly, yeah its not as smokey as my fire, but its so much more stable, and now I want to play with my first "lazy" pit, 15 years of tending a fire and im ready to let the machine do some work for me .....

Estimated delivery is 9/10 though, so I am going to be burning wood again this weekend it looks like :(

I just hope it gets here soon :p, I currently use an Ugly drum smoker with charcoal and wood chunks, getting super tired of tending the fire and all the work and my pit is starting to get in need of rebuilding.
My brother got a pit boss recently and at first I was like "pellet poopers can't smoke real food" then I helped him do some chicken and the results I got were almost just as good as I would have got on my pit, I was impressed.

A few more cooks and honestly, yeah its not as smokey as my fire, but its so much more stable, and now I want to play with my first "lazy" pit, 15 years of tending a fire and im ready to let the machine do some work for me .....

Estimated delivery is 9/10 though, so I am going to be burning wood again this weekend it looks like :(
I built a UDS and used it for about 5 years until it finally rusted out. It was actually really great and cruised at 275° when I got it all set. These pellet grills definitely don’t have the charcoal and wood flavor of that, but like you said, the convenience and dependability more than makes up for it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back