Bullseye Bullseye running extremely hot

Mikesgpr

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bullseye
I got a Bullseye about a month ago and I have been having some major issues getting the temps to hold anywhere close to the controller temp. For example I will set the controller to 225F and it says it is holding steady, +/- a couple degrees. However my meat has been cooking pretty fast compared to what I would expect. I put a couple ambient temp probes in the center of the grill and near the Bullseye probe and wow it is hot. My calibrated probes are reaching temps in the center about 1" above the grate of over 360F and near the Bullseye probe over 300F. Controller still reads 225F. Even the RecTeq meat probe verifies this.

Now I called Recteq and adjusted the temperature offsets on the controller, I am maxed out +20 on the temp controller and still it is hot at around 250-260F ambient, but way better.

Has anyone else experienced this? And does anyone else know of any better fixes?

I had the same problem but it was about a 70 degree difference. They sent me a new grill. I haven't tested temp yet but they told me that the actual display gives an average temp of the grill and the ambient probes would be off from what i was seeing.

How did you adjust the offsets on the controller?

I’ve mostly used mine on high temp/grilling cooks, but the one time I did chicken at 375* I thought it was cooking hot. So, tonight I set the Bullseye to 375*, put in a ThermoWorks Signal grate probe and meat probe, and I’m over 75* above the set point also.

Attachments

• ABDF2DD1-E64A-45F3-A3F0-DC81F738367E.jpeg
    ABDF2DD1-E64A-45F3-A3F0-DC81F738367E.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 98
As a follow-up, I dropped the set point to 325* and after actually cooking for a while now, the difference is a little less than 40*. As a question, do you have the lid spacer installed? Just wondering here if that might be contributing to the issue.

Attachments

• ECBCE935-D223-4A57-A24B-F61E5FA6738A.jpeg
    ECBCE935-D223-4A57-A24B-F61E5FA6738A.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 81
As a follow-up, I dropped the set point to 325* and after actually cooking for a while now, the difference is a little less than 40*. As a question, do you have the lid spacer installed? Just wondering here if that might be contributing to the issue.

I appreciate the feedback of yours running hot as well. I am ok with it running hot while grilling, however smoking at 225 I have a problem with it running so much hotter. Did you have a chance to run it at 225 to see how it compares?

I appreciate the feedback of yours running hot as well. I am ok with it running hot while grilling, however smoking at 225 I have a problem with it running so much hotter. Did you have a chance to run it at 225 to see how it compares?
I have not done that, as I’ve not cooked anything with a temp under 325* yet. I’ll see if I can give that a test here in the next couple of days.

Tonight‘s chicken, however, came out wonderful!

Attachments

• 6B229243-395A-448A-818A-3B245993E08C.jpeg
    6B229243-395A-448A-818A-3B245993E08C.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 79

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back