Going to try brisket flat

BigDog

I wanted to cook a TriTip like a brisket but could did not find any so I purched just the flat of a brisket. I have been watching so many full brisket cook videos but never just the flat. Anyone have advice on how to go about cooking just the flat?

Thanks

As long as you're watching internal temp, it should be basically the same except it will cook faster. I've found that if there isn't a ton of marbling, an injection of beef broth or tallow may help maintain moisture.

A little late, but I found getting the thickest flat came out best.

I injected with beef broth and used S&P.

Don’t go crazy with the S&P or it’ll come out salty.

Mine have been roughly 2hrs a lb., mostly at 225 but I tend to bump it up as dinner gets close and the beast isn’t done.

I typically smoke just the flat when I make brisket. I inject with Kosmos brisket injection and rub with my homemade seasoning at least 12hrs before I plan on putting it on the smoker. Like stated above temps are key usually pull it at 203. I usually run at 200 until the wrap and finish off at 225 sometimes 250 if I’m running behind on time. Then let it rest for at least an hour up to 3 in a rotomold cooler. Haven’t had any complaints yet 😂

0F5E138F-58C1-43B4-B9F6-CB92D2F87AAE.jpeg

DB429A58-8F8C-4EE6-A120-FFBF9D480486.jpeg

I typically smoke just the flat when I make brisket. I inject with Kosmos brisket injection and rub with my homemade seasoning at least 12hrs before I plan on putting it on the smoker. Like stated above temps are key usually pull it at 203. I usually run at 200 until the wrap and finish off at 225 sometimes 250 if I’m running behind on time. Then let it rest for at least an hour up to 3 in a rotomold cooler. Haven’t had any complaints yet 😂

View attachment 18360

View attachment 18361
Looks great! I have the same knife, too. 🤣

Thanks for all of the support. I am halfway the the cook here is the progress. Injected the 4 lb. flat early this morning with Kosmo's and let it sit out for about 45 minutes before I added a small about of rub, 2 tsp. course black pepper, 1 tsp kosher salt, 1 tsp. Lawyers salt. It ran on the RT590 4.5 hours @ 230 F using Lumber Jack Oak pellets before it came to 160F internal. I just wet it down with beef broth then wrapped it in butchers paper. I am moving the RT590 to 265 because I am afraid I might runout of time. The outside is more mahogany than black. I was afraid of using too much rub. Also the outside seems hard and it will be a miracle if it is edible at the end. Fingers crossed.
20230105_133142.jpg

Well I am nine hours in and the temp is only 168F. It stalled out at 140 F after I wrapped..

Don’t know where you are, but I’m finding when I pull up the meat to wrap it cools quite a bit and adds to the cook time. This being New England.

I wrap right on my hopper lid to minimize heat loss. Gets messy sometimes.

Hopefully @BigDog is on the left coast and dinner can be not too late, with a short rest.

I separate the Point from the Flat and cook them as separate Cuts
Here's our process:
MEATSMOKER TEMPSMOKING TIMEMEAT TEMPRUBS OR SAUCESMISC INFO
Beef BrisketU@LO / W@270Start time 10:00 pmU@150 / W@200-205Garlic Onion Pepper and Salt for 24 hrsU 8 hrs+/- (Paper)W 8 hrs+/- Rest 4 hrs+/-

We do add a bit of Smoked Tallow when we wrap now
17 July Briskets.JPG

17 July Brisket.jpeg

Comes out like this:
13 Nov Brisket Flat 1.JPG

13 Nov Brisket 3.JPG

Big Dog, It looks great. Bet you are surprised with the result. Let us see and know.

Because I am a novice brisket cooker and I have had some time to think about this particular cook I will give my thoughts:

1. Need to take your time and not rush. Also I looked at my the app. too much.

2. Cook longer before I wrapped next time I think I will be closer to 165F and wrap faster so not to lose temperature.

3. I will also try the beef tallow next time not the beef broth durring the wrap stage.

4. I will be much more picky about the cut of beef and hope to find a prime or better cut.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuddyBill
Back