Bull Disappointed with problems with my new RT700

My grill was delivered a few weeks ago and I'm very disappointed with several issues:

1. Pairing with phone for wifi- It worked the first time but now it won't pair. One of the main reasons I bought the 700 was for the wifi, so I wouldn't have to keep physically monitoring the temps of the grill and internal of the meat.
2. Temperature fluctuations- Another main reason I bought the rectec over other lesser expensive grills was for the supposed lack of temperature fluctuations. I was led to believe that fluctuations would be limited to +/- 2 degrees. Yesterday, I was trying to cook beef short ribs. I had the temperature set at 225 degrees and it would go as high as 290. So, I lowered my set temperature to "Low" and it was running 240-260 degrees.
3. Disappointed with how my grill looked after just my first cook. This is going to be higher maintenance than I anticipated. Hopefully, bar keepers friend will clean this up without affecting the finish. Here is a photo after just one cook.

How does one determine the "feed rate" and what should that setting be? Any other suggestions?
I am also new to the RECTEC 700, and after much research to buy my first pellet burner I chose the 700 for the stainless steel, powder coat exterior and warranty amongst many other features and reviews. I was not very pleased during the first cook to see excessive smoke coming from around the door and frothe door emblem. We sealed the emblem by removing it and filling the attachment holes with RTV sealant but the door did not have an even seal on the smoker around the edge where the door meets the smoker. I had a stainless steel shop cut two lengths of high grade stainless 1/16” x 1 1/4” x 15 1/8”, gently bent them to shape of the smoker, and attached them to the inner sides of the smoker as shown in the picture.
1594748999841.jpeg

1594749070629.jpeg

You can use RTV sealant or JB Weld Cold Formula which is great for metal to metal bonds. Use a lot of small clamps such as these:
1594749792944.jpeg

I used 5 clamps and did one side at a time. You can get the clamps from Ace Hardware who also carries the JB Weld epoxy glue. Be prepared to allow the glue to dry enough to remove one clamp and give you a chance to clean the excess glue off with lacquer thinner, replace the clamp and remove another until the excess glue is removed. Let dry over night with the clamps installed.

Attach the sealing tape to the inside of the lid. I used this BBQ/Smoker High Temp Tape from Amazon and it has worked excellent.
1594750446454.png

Notice that the tape is inset on the sides of the smoker lid to make contact with the new Stainless Sides that were installed first.
1594750678086.jpeg

1594750741263.jpeg

The Smoker does not leak after these modifications and external cleanup after a long 14 hr brisket cook was a simple wipe down. No external smoke or grease marks were found.

Attachments

• 1594751610116.jpeg
    1594751610116.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 107
I am also new to the RECTEC 700, and after much research to buy my first pellet burner I chose the 700 for the stainless steel, powder coat exterior and warranty amongst many other features and reviews. I was not very pleased during the first cook to see excessive smoke coming from around the door and frothe door emblem. We sealed the emblem by removing it and filling the attachment holes with RTV sealant but the door did not have an even seal on the smoker around the edge where the door meets the smoker. I had a stainless steel shop cut two lengths of high grade stainless 1/16” x 1 1/4” x 15 1/8”, gently bent them to shape of the smoker, and attached them to the inner sides of the smoker as shown in the picture.
View attachment 5462
View attachment 5463
You can use RTV sealant or JB Weld Cold Formula which is great for metal to metal bonds. Use a lot of small clamps such as these:
View attachment 5464
I used 5 clamps and did one side at a time. You can get the clamps from Ace Hardware who also carries the JB Weld epoxy glue. Be prepared to allow the glue to dry enough to remove one clamp and give you a chance to clean the excess glue off with lacquer thinner, replace the clamp and remove another until the excess glue is removed. Let dry over night with the clamps installed.

Attach the sealing tape to the inside of the lid. I used this BBQ/Smoker High Temp Tape from Amazon and it has worked excellent.
View attachment 5465

Notice that the tape is inset on the sides of the smoker lid to make contact with the new Stainless Sides that were installed first.
View attachment 5467
View attachment 5468
The Smoker does not leak after these modifications and external cleanup after a long 14 hr brisket cook was a simple wipe down. No external smoke or grease marks were found.
I would think that just the FireBlack gasket would seal her up tight.

View attachment 5462
View attachment 5463
View attachment 5464

View attachment 5465

View attachment 5467
View attachment 5468
Nice mod it doesn't take much to seal the lids on a Bull there pretty tight but do have lid smoke leakage. JB weld when heated to higher temperatures can smell like a dead animal rotting in the sun, don't ask me how I know.

My grill was delivered a few weeks ago and I'm very disappointed with several issues:

1. Pairing with phone for wifi- It worked the first time but now it won't pair. One of the main reasons I bought the 700 was for the wifi, so I wouldn't have to keep physically monitoring the temps of the grill and internal of the meat.
2. Temperature fluctuations- Another main reason I bought the rectec over other lesser expensive grills was for the supposed lack of temperature fluctuations. I was led to believe that fluctuations would be limited to +/- 2 degrees. Yesterday, I was trying to cook beef short ribs. I had the temperature set at 225 degrees and it would go as high as 290. So, I lowered my set temperature to "Low" and it was running 240-260 degrees.
3. Disappointed with how my grill looked after just my first cook. This is going to be higher maintenance than I anticipated. Hopefully, bar keepers friend will clean this up without affecting the finish. Here is a photo after just one cook.

How does one determine the "feed rate" and what should that setting be? Any other suggestions?
I had temp issues when I got it called and talked to Ray we went thru all settings and it stays within 2 degrees as for WíFi I found you can only have one device connected

Unless the wifi controller on the board is bad its simply a signal strength issue. My grill is butted up against a stucco wall that directly blocks wifi, took a bit of troubleshooting to get it working including moving it out away from the wall even though my phone would get 100% signal holding it right where the controller lives. However once it was connected though maintaining a weak signal it always connected. Now today i have installed an outdoor AP that meshes with my others and signal strength for the grill is now 100%. Now i suspect adding an AP might be a bit much for most but since i also had some wifi cameras dealing with a weak signal that are now serviced by the same AP it was a no brainer. One other thing if adding an AP isnt in your cards you could add an external antenna to the grill. Personally i dont care for extenders, they work but i have had far to many issues with them in general to recommend unless there is absolutely nothing else.

coming from a 680 to a 700. i had temp fluctuations with my 680 when new. after i started get good and seasoned seems like the temps began to stabilize, as for the wifi. almost like the grill setting knob and the app setting are 2 different things. i have to test the app more. so far tho for my grill i’m thing it cou;d be 25 deg off. but i had a issue where i turned down the grill to 375 but the app was holding it where i set it a 400.

I’ve had the same issue with the app not updating when I change the temp on the grill. If you close the app and reopen it it should update to the new temp. I don’t know why the app doesn’t refresh the set temp like it does the actual temp.

I was planning on using 1/2 x 1/8 or 3/4 x 1/8 FireBlack gasket. But maybe 1/4 thickness is better. I am not sure now. I just ordered the Stampede so I need to decide on which one and get it ordered. I want to install the gasket before the initial setup procedure or maybe after it is done. Not sure when to install is the best.
I got the 1/4 for my 700, works great!

That's what I have on my Rec-Traeger, it works well.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back