Combustion Inc

Cal1319

Any clue if these ever go on sale? Really interested but would love to see a WiFi version so happy to wait if that might be in the works.

On sale starting today, but I think you had to be on their email list to get the code. Couldn’t hurt to go to their Reddit site and ask.

On sale starting today, but I think you had to be on their email list to get the code. Couldn’t hurt to go to their Reddit site and ask.
Does the “Code” get you a better price than the sale prices listed on the web site today? I didn’t get a code, went to Reddit and asked, was told they would send me one, and nothing arrived. So, this morning I just went ahead and ordered another CPT at the web page discount price.

It sounds to me like they are pretty overwhelmed right now and having a hard time keeping up with their success.

Does the “Code” get you a better price than the sale prices listed on the web site today? I didn’t get a code, went to Reddit and asked, was told they would send me one, and nothing arrived. So, this morning I just went ahead and ordered another CPT at the web page discount price.

It sounds to me like they are pretty overwhelmed right now and having a hard time keeping up with their success.
I didn’t get the code either, so I can’t say. I’ve got 3 of them now, two was probably plenty, so I didn’t bother. And yes, overwhelmed appears to be their SOP.

I’m excited to try it out! I know it’s open source so has any figured out how to make them WiFi enabled yet? Or possibly bounce the Bluetooth from an iPad to your phone?

I’m excited to try it out! I know it’s open source so has any figured out how to make them WiFi enabled yet? Or possibly bounce the Bluetooth from an iPad to your phone?
Combustion Inc is working on that very aspect right now. Last I heard, they were hoping to have wifi connectivity enabled by Christmas. And, apparently, the electronics to do it are already in place, so existing units will have that capability.

I realize this thread is a bit old but @Greg Jones and/or @Jim6820, being the CI is BT only. Have you ever moved out of range and lost connectivity? If so, does the app reconnect automatically or do you have to use the app to reconnect? Also, if connection is lost do you lose the current cook information and start a new? Trying so hard not to jump in yet but……🤔

Yes to loosing connectivity. This was pretty bad at first, especially when using the 10ga Yoder. They’ve improved the firmware over time and issue updates, and the addition of the booster/battery charger has made this pretty much a non-issue now for me. I put a booster on the front shelf and another inside the window that faces toward the smoker. It will reconnect on its own and I’ve never lost a session information. They were shooting for having the WiFi update out by the end of the year, and that hasn’t happened yet.

Yes to loosing connectivity. This was pretty bad at first, especially when using the 10ga Yoder. They’ve improved the firmware over time and issue updates, and the addition of the booster/battery charger has made this pretty much a non-issue now for me. I put a booster on the front shelf and another inside the window that faces toward the smoker. It will reconnect on its own and I’ve never lost a session information. They were shooting for having the WiFi update out by the end of the year, and that hasn’t happened yet.
Thanks @Greg Jones this helps a lot. Now I am in a fix 🤣 Reconnecting without effort or lost session is great. Having the ability to extend the range is also a plus.

Exactly how I learned through trial and error to maintain or reconnect. I've only had to use the one booster, but I recently received a second.:cool:

I agree with @Greg Jones, though I’ve never had a disconnect when using the booster. The distance from my grill to my favorite recliner 🙄 is less than 100 feet; same to the indoor kitchen, so one booster on top of the pellet hopper lid is all I use and that works fine. It is line-of-sight through a large window, however.

I agree with @Greg Jones, though I’ve never had a disconnect when using the booster. The distance from my grill to my favorite recliner 🙄 is less than 100 feet; same to the indoor kitchen, so one booster on top of the pellet hopper lid is all I use and that works fine. It is line-of-sight through a large window, however.
I am probably the same distance however not direct line of sight. I suspect it would work for me, which, could get me in trouble with SWSNBN. 🤣

You do not want to buy one! Don’t do it! DO NOT BUY A COMBUSTION INC PREDICTIVE THERMOMETER!!! If you do, you will probably stop using your other good temperature measuring devices most of the time. 🤣 🤣 🤣

Oh, what the heck, “endure the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune (and those of SWSNBN ;)) — buy one! 🤣🤣🤣 You’ll love it!

Last edited:
You do not want to buy one! Don’t do it! DO NOT BUY A COMBUSTION INC PREDICTIVE THERMOMETER!!! If you do, you will probably stop using your other good temperature measuring devices most of then time. 🤣 🤣 🤣

Oh, what the heck, “endure the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune (and those of SWSNBN ;)) — buy one! 🤣🤣🤣 You’ll love it!
I fear once she sees it, she will be using it in the oven. We don’t do oven cooks outside of its recommended range.

I fear once she sees it, she will be using it in the oven. We don’t do oven cooks outside of its recommended range.
That will happen, at least I have first hand knowledge that it could. My wife uses it in the oven and crockpot. Last weekend we did a big goat leg that started in the Recteq and finished in the oven.

Here is a photo of that cook. 4 hours in RT followed by 6 more in oven. Shredded for tacos. CI thermometer flawless.

20231229_162423.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back