Combustion Inc. Predictive Thermometer with Range-Extending Booster?

Jim6820

Crazy Ol’ Basque
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
It isn’t the wifi version I’ve been waiting for, but a 600’ plus range would likely meet my needs. Is this a new version and has anyone here had any experience with it? At $179, it is getting into the tempting range. Comments?

It isn’t the wifi version I’ve been waiting for, but a 600’ plus range would likely meet my needs. Is this a new version and has anyone here had any experience with it? At $179, it is getting into the tempting range. Comments?
The extended range booster version isn’t shipping yet. The pre-orders shipping date has been delayed until the first week of July, orders placed today are predicted to ship late July.

The extended range booster version isn’t shipping yet. The pre-orders shipping date has been delayed until the first week of July, orders placed today are predicted to ship late July.
Thanks, @Greg Jones, I appreciate the update. I didn’t notice anything about delayed shipping, but maybe you only see that in the final stage of placing an order. I think the extended range version would work for me, but I’m not into placing pre-orders. Thanks again.

Edit: Just went back into the Combustion Inc. website and added one of the extended range units to the cart and found, in very tiny print, an estimated ship date of July 20. It would be easy to miss if you were intent on ordering one.

Last edited:
The nicest thing about the booster may be the fact that it keeps the probe charged, unlike the standard set where the case is only a port for a charging cable. I have 3 of the boosters on order-should be here by July 4. Combustion made a pretty sweet deal on the booster ‘upgrade’ to beta testers who were submitting beta reports/feedback. BTW, as I understand it, only 1 booster is needed to boost the signal for up to 4 probes. I got a booster for each of my probes as I do think the battery feature to keep the probes fully charges is a plus.

I have one laying on my desk and my RT680 is in pieces from it's yearly clean! I'm not sure when I will get to try it out because I'm deciding on having the RT680 sandblast and painting. 😕

Jim, what do you cook with the lip open? I don't think this thermometer will work with the lid closed?

It would be used with the rotisserie on the gas grill. When I do that, it is with the lid open and using the back infrared burner. I’ve used a Meater this way with no problems.

I think the limitation is heat level and it would only be used on low & slow cooks in the 340.

EDIT: Ah, didn’t see @Greg Jones ’s post before I pushed the button. The other limitation would be range with the lid closed, but as I understand it, CI is working on that with the extender as Greg said.

All (Smoke Team Alpha),

I look forward to future posts on this topic. I have a number of monitoring devices (Thermopro, Thermopen, Thermoworks, MEATER, and others). All work as advertised with the exception of the MEATER. Although not identified in their literature when I purchased my 4 Probe set, I have continuous disconnects from the base station during cooks. I realize 304SS can become a Faraday cage for communications. However, their design team should realize that a device like this that costs over $300USD should be able to transmit data over a distance of 18 inches. I am engaged with MEATER (they have been very communicative, KUDOS to their support team). But we still don’t have a solution. I’ll post as things progress but for those with RT700/RT1250 or similar smokers, I ask that you do your own research and analysis to make sure it meets (no pun intented) you needs.

Important CYA Note: YMMV and all the legal bla, bla, bla, forms a part of my response including but not limited to the aforementioned information is merely my personal opinion based exclusively on my experiences and should not and may not form a part of your decision/determination as to the fitness of any product advertised, sold or construed as an endorsement of defamatory statement of fitness for a particular use of any product identified above. For all I know, my devices may be made of Unobtainium and are so unique that no one else will ever, ever, (sic, never ever) match your experiences.

Nuff said, cook on!!!

Combustion Inc. currently has a 20% 4th of July discount available (Code: 20USA), good through July 4 (as in tomorrow). I’m really tempted to spring for one of the new Range-Extending Booster Predictive Thermometer units at $179 minus 20% ($143.20 + tax & $7.32 shipping). The only small hitch is that it has an “estimated ship date of July 20.”

I don’t yet have “permission” to acquire one, but I do have permission to blame @Threadcutter ( :rolleyes: ) for this unplanned purchase. Talk me out of it, please; and quickly! Somebody? Anybody?

Combustion Inc. currently has a 20% 4th of July discount available (Code: 20USA), good through July 4 (as in tomorrow). I’m really tempted to spring for one of the new Range-Extending Booster Predictive Thermometer units at $179 minus 20% ($143.20 + tax & $7.32 shipping). The only small hitch is that it has an “estimated ship date of July 20.”

I don’t yet have “permission” to acquire one, but I do have permission to blame @Threadcutter ( :rolleyes: ) for this unplanned purchase. Talk me out of it, please; and quickly! Somebody? Anybody?
Let's be clear now, that chit is only good for ONE "Sorry Honey, it's all Threadcutter's fault". Beyond that, yer on yer own........:LOL:

Let's be clear now, that chit is only good for ONE "Sorry Honey, it's all Threadcutter's fault". Beyond that, yer on yer own........:LOL:
One “Sorry, Honey, it’s all Threadcutter’s fault” is all I need…right now! :rolleyes:

You may be off the hook, however, TC; I just got a tentative OK to proceed but it will cost me new patio furniture. Ouch! Do I really want to trade a $143.20 wireless thermometer for $2,500 worth of patio furniture? Let me think this through a bit.

One “Sorry, Honey, it’s all Threadcutter’s fault” is all I need…right now! :rolleyes:

You may be off the hook, however, TC; I just got a tentative OK to proceed but it will cost me new patio furniture. Ouch! Do I really want to trade a $143.20 wireless thermometer for $2,500 worth of patio furniture? Let me think this through a bit.
"NO, DON'T DO IT !.......:eek::ROFLMAO:

I just got a tentative OK to proceed but it will cost me new patio furniture.
Ouch. I remember many years ago about the "fair trade" position of purchases. I got a bug to restore a car. The project cost me double due to the required corresponding purchase of new living room furniture. The car is long gone, but we still have the furniture.

Since today is “Blame Jim Day,” I went ahead and pushed the BUY button on the Predictive Thermometer with Range-Extending Booster. :ROFLMAO: I’ll figure out which one of you to blame when it gets here. :unsure:

Damn, I probably need one of those too. I entertained even picking up a second Thermoworks Signals after my last multi-brisket cook. I really wanted another probe or two. I did pump the brakes on that one...for now.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back