Combustion Inc. Predictive Thermometer with Range-Extending Booster?

Damn, I probably need one of those too. I entertained even picking up a second Thermoworks Signals after my last multi-brisket cook. I really wanted another probe or two. I did pump the brakes on that one...for now.
Well, you have until tomorrow to make a decision and get the 20% discount!

From the e-mail I received: “20% of crucial BBQ 🔥 tools through July 4.” I am NOT accepting blame for this one; I’m all blamed out for right now! :ROFLMAO:

BTW, the Signals is one of the best cooking tools I ever purchased. It is my go-to temperature measuring device when cooking on the RT-340–and, it works just as well on my Napoleon gas grill when I’m doing longer cooks. If it had wireless probes, I wouldn’t need the CI. It is just that the clunk, clunk, clunk of the Signals receiver banging around inside the grill as the rotisserie turns gets kind of monotonous. :rolleyes:

Well, you have until tomorrow to make a decision and get the 20% discount!

From the e-mail I received: “20% of crucial BBQ 🔥 tools through July 4.” I am NOT accepting blame for this one; I’m all blamed out for right now! :ROFLMAO:

BTW, the Signals is one of the best cooking tools I ever purchased. It is my go-to temperature measuring device when cooking on the RT-340–and, it works just as well on my Napoleon gas grill when I’m doing longer cooks. If it had wireless probes, I wouldn’t need the CI. It is just that the clunk, clunk, clunk of the Signals receiver banging around inside the grill as the rotisserie turns gets kind of monotonous. :rolleyes:
No complaints about the melted/burning plastic flavor ? :unsure::ROFLMAO:

@Greg Jones, do I understand correctly that the "Booster" version uses the same standard probe and, if I wanted, I could just add a second standard probe and it would also be "boosted?"

@Greg Jones, do I understand correctly that the "Booster" version uses the same standard probe and, if I wanted, I could just add a second standard probe and it would also be "boosted?"
Yes, the probe is the same and my understanding is that only one booster is needed to boost the signal to up to 4 probes.

Is this supposed to be a truly wireless temp probe? I have this Meater (Wifi Bridge set version)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08N16XGKB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

and I have 0 issues using it in my 590 with the lid closed.
As I own the MEATER+ as well as three of the Combustion Predictive Probes, I can say yes it is truly wireless and also superior in just about every way to the MEATER product. The market for these appears to add a new wireless contender nearly every week, but the CPT is (IMO, for now) the front runner.

As I own the MEATER+ as well as three of the Combustion Predictive Probes, I can say yes it is truly wireless and also superior in just about every way to the MEATER product. The market for these appears to add a new wireless contender nearly every week, but the CPT is (IMO, for now) the front runner.
In what way is it superior? (other then being thinner, which I agree is a good thing).

In what way is it superior? (other then being thinner, which I agree is a good thing).
Here is a Thread on Combustion’s Reddit page that discusses the two thermometers. The main feature of the CPT that I see as an improvement over other thermometers, not just the MEATER, is that it has 8 temp sensors instead of 1 or 2. Why that might be important is you don’t need to be careful about finding the core with the tip of the probe. I’ll actually go past center intentionally and let the probe determine which sensor is at the core. An additional benefit is that the CPT is measuring surface temp of the meat in addition to ambient temp, which makes its prediction calculations very accurate.

Here is a Thread on Combustion’s Reddit page that discusses the two thermometers. The main feature of the CPT that I see as an improvement over other thermometers, not just the MEATER, is that it has 8 temp sensors instead of 1 or 2. Why that might be important is you don’t need to be careful about finding the core with the tip of the probe. I’ll actually go past center intentionally and let the probe determine which sensor is at the core. An additional benefit is that the CPT is measuring surface temp of the meat in addition to ambient temp, which makes its prediction calculations very accurate.

It does add some additional temp readers (to determine the lowest temp), and to be able to see the foods surface temp (sort of, as its more looking at ambient vs insertion temp and doing basic subtraction to = Surface).
OK , check, got it, but to claim those two features that the MEATER doesn't have, as making it "superior in just about every way", is ... quite a reach bud.

In fact, the reason most people buy this style of truly wireless Temp Probe , is to mimic the "wifi" ability most pellet smokers come with these days, and while they are both wireless, I can get into my vehicle (cell phone coming with me), and I can still monitor my food no matter where the hell I am, can't do that with the CPT (yet I am sure).
Also you can't use the CPT in Boiling Water , let alone Frying.... Which would explain why the CPT is thinner (There is ALWAYS a trade-off), vs the MEATER.
CPT.jpg

Now it may just be me, but I don't need a "prediction" ;) of when my meat is cooked due to temperature, as we all know here, that is only a guideline to when meat is "done", and never the same on any given day, or on every piece of meat.
Additionally the cost difference to even allow you to walk further then the distance to a refrigerator for a new can of beer on the CPT , vs the reach of the MEATER dollar for dollar, it almost a wash, and in some aspects the CPT is more expensive.
I have had 0 issues with any of my cooks using the MEATER (there is a higher learning curve to using it, which may be why some do not like it).
Being able to use it while frying, and not have to worry about a flare up in a smoker or grill, going to the store with my phone and being able to see the temps..?? Just cant see how the CPT is superior in just about every way. /shrug

In fact, the reason most people buy this style of truly wireless Temp Probe , is to mimic the "wifi" ability most pellet smokers come with these days, and while they are both wireless, I can get into my vehicle (cell phone coming with me), and I can still monitor my food no matter where the hell I am, can't do that with the CPT (yet I am sure).
It does add some additional temp readers (to determine the lowest temp), and to be able to see the foods surface temp (sort of, as its more looking at ambient vs insertion temp and doing basic subtraction to = Surface).
OK , check, got it, but to claim those two features that the MEATER doesn't have, as making it "superior in just about every way", is ... quite a reach bud.

Also you can't use the CPT in Boiling Water , let alone Frying.... Which would explain why the CPT is thinner (There is ALWAYS a trade-off), vs the MEATER.View attachment 19589

Now it may just be me, but I don't need a "prediction" ;) of when my meat is cooked due to temperature, as we all know here, that is only a guideline to when meat is "done", and never the same on any given day, or on every piece of meat.
Additionally the cost difference to even allow you to walk further then the distance to a refrigerator for a new can of beer on the CPT , vs the reach of the MEATER dollar for dollar, it almost a wash, and in some aspects the CPT is more expensive.
I have had 0 issues with any of my cooks using the MEATER (there is a higher learning curve to using it, which may be why some do not like it).
Being able to use it while frying, and not have to worry about a flare up in a smoker or grill, going to the store with my phone and being able to see the temps..?? Just cant see how the CPT is superior in just about every way. /shrug
Only possible with the MEATER Block, not the MEATER or MEATER +. THE block is the ONLY option that has WiFi, more than double the price of a CPT. Not sure why you are calling me out about this when I specifically mentioned my comparison is with the MEATER + and the CPT? I understand from your post that the CPT is not for you-that’s fine, different strokes. Still don’t understand what you have to be so confrontational about this when I was expressing my opinion from the perspective of someone who owns BOTH products.

Last edited:
You are aware that the Meater probe has the same 212F (boiling water temp) limitation, right? And, that It also has a similar max temp (527F vs 575F) limit?

If your Meter is working for you, great. I don’t think you need to be quite so defensive about the thought that the CI unit has more sensors and monitors more (8) temp factors than the Meater (2). To each their own.

Last edited:
You are aware that the Meater probe has the same 212F (boiling water temp) limitation, right? And, that It also has a similar max temp (527F vs 575F) limit?

If your Meter is working for you, great. I don’t think you need to be quite so defensive about the thought that the CI unit has more sensors and monitors more (8) temp factors than the Meater (2). To each their own.
I'm not being defensive, however when I see claims of "superior in everyway" I tend to verify that claim. I found it to be... not accurate. Nothing more, nothing less.

Only possible with the MEATER Block, not the MEATER or MEATER +. THE block is the ONLY option that has WiFi, more than double the price of a CPT. Not sure why you are calling me out about this when I specifically mentioned my comparison is with the MEATER + and the CPT? I understand from your post that the CPT is not for you-that’s fine, different strokes. Still don’t understand what you have to be so confrontational about this when I was expressing my opinion from the perspective of someone who owns BOTH products.
Sorry not trying to be confrontational, but with a claim of superior in every way.. I tend to go look to verify.
Also, the link I provided, not the BLOCK but the WiFi bridge is only $175. $30 more then just the CPT probe, and $15 less then the CPT with Monitor (without Wifi) ?

I'm not being defensive, however when I see claims of "superior in everyway" I tend to verify that claim. I found it to be... not accurate. Nothing more, nothing less.
I concur with your verification approach. Since I am new to the wireless thermometer game and you are currently using a Meater, could you help me to understand it better? What features and/or specifications does the Meater have that you feel are, or might be, superior to the Combustion Inc. unit?

Since I am in the market for a wireless thermometer, that would be very helpful. Thanks.

Sorry not trying to be confrontational, but with a claim of superior in every way.. I tend to go look to verify.
Also, the link I provided, not the BLOCK but the WiFi bridge is only $175. $30 more then just the CPT probe, and $15 less then the CPT with Monitor (without Wifi) ?
If you posted a link to a WiFi bridge, I don’t see it nor can I find it on the MEATER site.

I concur with your verification approach. Since I am new to the wireless thermometer game and you are currently using a Meater, could you help me to understand it better? What features and/or specifications does the Meater have that you feel are, or might be, superior to the Combustion Inc. unit?

Since I am in the market for a wireless thermometer, that would be very helpful. Thanks.
I wouldn't say it is superior to the CPT. I would say its another variant. The main thing I look for is bang for buck. I linked an amazon Wifi-Bridge model (current one I have/use). and for the cost and it being true Wi-Fi, I can't justify paying for something else (it's also cheaper then the best distance/ranged model of the CPT).
Also, as I stated before, knowing the surface temp of my meat.. almost inconsequential. If I have ambient and internal, that is all I really need for gauging where I am in the cook process/time. Again, its a marker, not a definitive "Oh hey it says 160 degrees I better pull and wrap it.!" I think we both know from the amount of years we have been cooking/ BBQ'ing that, that is NOT how you do it. :D

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back