Combustion Inc. Predictive Thermometer with Range-Extending Booster?

Received my CI Predictive Thermometer, booster and display this morning. After unboxing and charging, I am VERY DISAPPOINTED! Likely the unit will be returned to CI.

After two hours of charging, the display charge light is off (neither red nor green and it is apparently supposed to show one or the other) and if the booster light is supposed to be showing red or green, it isn’t. The display came on when I took it out of the box, but went out and I can’t get it to turn back on .

There are no instructions in the box or online that help sort things out. I have downloaded the app and the Predictive Thermometer will periodically connect to Bluetooth, then drop out—at a distant of about one foot between the iPhone 12 and the thermometer. When connected, I do see three temperatures displayed; edge, center and ambient. I am unable to figure out whether the booster is working. The display apparently is not.

I’m going to give this unit about another hour of charging and fiddling with and, if things don’t seem to work, it is going back for a refund. VERY DISAPPOINTING!!!

WARNING: DO NOT USE THE TW SIGNALS POWER SUPPLY AS A USB (5VDC) POWER SUPPLY!!!

Well, the culprit has been found, and it is--wait for it--ThermoWorks, and me. Who knew that the Signals power supply outputs 12VDC into a standard USB port and NOT the normal 5VDC? I sure didn't.

After exchanging e-mails with Chris at Combustion Inc, and me sending photos of the power supplies I used (along with my notation that it charged my Signals unit just fine), he got together with their electrical engineer who said this has happened before. That triggered me to double-check the output voltage on the TW power supply. Printed in tiny, light gray type on one side of the PS I found the notation "Use only with Signals." On the other side, also in tiny, light gray type, was "Input: 120VAC" and "Output: 12VDC."

Apparently, feeding 12VDC into a standard USB port will destroy all sorts of electronics, including iPhones, iPads, etc. Sure glad I didn't inadvertently use the TW power supply on any of those items.

So, expensive lesson. We'll see how this gets worked out. I am going to let TW know about this problem.

WARNING: DO NOT USE THE TW SIGNALS POWER SUPPLY AS A USB (5VDC) POWER SUPPLY!!!

Well, the culprit has been found, and it is--wait for it--ThermoWorks, and me. Who knew that the Signals power supply outputs 12VDC into a standard USB port and NOT the normal 5VDC? I sure didn't.

After exchanging e-mails with Chris at Combustion Inc, and me sending photos of the power supplies I used (along with my notation that it charged my Signals unit just fine), he got together with their electrical engineer who said this has happened before. That triggered me to double-check the output voltage on the TW power supply. Printed in tiny, light gray type on one side of the PS I found the notation "Use only with Signals." On the other side, also in tiny, light gray type, was "Input: 120VAC" and "Output: 12VDC."

Apparently, feeding 12VDC into a standard USB port will destroy all sorts of electronics, including iPhones, iPads, etc. Sure glad I didn't inadvertently use the TW power supply on any of those items.

So, expensive lesson. We'll see how this gets worked out. I am going to let TW know about this problem.

i‘ve run into the reverse situation, where a third party charger will not charge a ThermoWorks device using a third party (USB-C) charger. The TW folks seem to be very particular about this.

i‘ve run into the reverse situation, where a third party charger will not charge a ThermoWorks device using a third party (USB-C) charger. The TW folks seem to be very particular about this.
Yes, @Greg Jones, but at least that doesn’t destroy expensive electronics like over-voltage apparently does. It appears that the 12VDC input has destroyed the new CI thermometer, booster and display. After being inadvertently plugged into the Signals charger, all are dead. Expensive lesson. 😡

Yes, @Greg Jones, but at least that doesn’t destroy expensive electronics like over-voltage apparently does. It appears that the 12VDC input has destroyed the new CI thermometer, booster and display. After being inadvertently plugged into the Signals charger, all are dead. Expensive lesson. 😡
They will replace it, no charge, no problem.

Well, there is some good news; the probe still works, so it was only the charger/booster and display that were fried. Since it was my error, I don’t expect CI to replace them( that wouldn’t be right. I will pay for the needed replacement items. Lesson learned—expensively.

Well, there is some good news; the probe still works, so it was only the charger/booster and display that were fried. Since it was my error, I don’t expect CI to replace them( that wouldn’t be right. I will pay for the needed replacement items. Lesson learned—expensively.
My recommendation is the same-contact them and let them know. Perhaps they would benefit by learning from your experience. I’ve learned now to not use the TW charger to power anything other than the TW equipment based on your post.

Also contact ThermoWorks as they should know as well. I found out about this by trying to charge my Signals with an underpowered charger. Thankfully I didn’t do the reverse, as is your situation. I don’t recall reading a notice from either company on what size charger to use.

Combustion Inc has now posted the following warning on its website:

“!! Don't use with Thermoworks 12v AC adapter !!​

“Combustion tools can be charged from almost any USB power source. Phone chargers are ideal, as is any regular USB block or hub, including "quick charge" accessories.
However, there is one particular charger we know of that will destroy any standard USB-powered device!

“Thermoworks released a charger that fits USB-A connectors (that's the "normal" size) but sends much higher voltage than the accepted standard (12 volts instead of 5 volts).
It's a 12 volt AC adapter made for their "smoke signals" product.

“Do not attempt to charge any standard USB device with this thing, unless you want to destroy it and void the warranty in the process.
That goes for all Combustion tools, as well as your phone, tablet, and various USB devices.”

My recent experience was at least the second incidence CI has seen where a TW Signals power supply was inadvertently used to charge a USB device—with disastrous results! Since TW and CI products are likely to be found in the same grillmaster’s toolbox, use extreme care that the chargers don’t get mixed. Mine now has a big warning label affixed to it. Be careful out there!

Here’s the link: https://combustion.inc/pages/start. Scroll down about a half page And click on “Charging details.”

Last edited:
OK, we’re back in bizness, thanks to CI’s gracious insistence on replacing the fried units. And, as a result, I purchased a second predictive thermometer and booster. They arrived a couple days ago and, today, I got the firmware updated and all the units linked. They seem to work flawlessly and I’m going to try them on a salmon cook this evening.

A question for you CI users out there: is there a way to physically mark the units so they can be identified visually? I use colored hi-temp silicone rings on my TW Signals probes, but they would interfere with getting the CI probes into the chargers.

The CI display unit can be toggled between up to four probes, but how do you know which probe is which? When I cook brisket, for example, I like to monitor the point and flat separately and the different color rings on the TW wired probes allow me to determine visually which probe is which. How can I do that with the CI probes?

Any thoughts?

OK, we’re back in bizness, thanks to CI’s gracious insistence on replacing the fried units. And, as a result, I purchased a second predictive thermometer and booster. They arrived a couple days ago and, today, I got the firmware updated and all the units linked. They seem to work flawlessly and I’m going to try them on a salmon cook this evening.

A question for you CI users out there: is there a way to physically mark the units so they can be identified visually? I use colored hi-temp silicone rings on my TW Signals probes, but they would interfere with getting the CI probes into the chargers.

The CI display unit can be toggled between up to four probes, but how do you know which probe is which? When I cook brisket, for example, I like to monitor the point and flat separately and the different color rings on the TW wired probes allow me to determine visually which probe is which. How can I do that with the CI probes?

Any thoughts?
I’ve named each of my CPT probes with a TW ring color. I then put the corresponding TW silicone ring on the clip of the booster, not the probe itself. Then I only need to track, during the cook, what matches up with what. As another tip, if you hold the CPT display near a thermometer, the display will switch to the reading for that thermometer. Could make tracking the probe with colored rings unnecessary.

I’ve named each of my CPT probes with a TW ring color. I then put the corresponding TW silicone ring on the clip of the booster, not the probe itself. Then I only need to track, during the cook, what matches up with what. As another tip, if you hold the CPT display near a thermometer, the display will switch to the reading for that thermometer. Could make tracking the probe with colored rings unnecessary.
Thanks, @Greg Jones. Are the boosters specific to the probe? Somehow, I thought one booster would boost up to four probes. Maybe I was confused and that is the display unit. If the boosters are probe specific, the silicone ring would be a good solution.

Thanks, @Greg Jones. Are the boosters specific to the probe? Somehow, I thought one booster would boost up to four probes. Maybe I was confused and that is the display unit. If the boosters are probe specific, the silicone ring would be a good solution.
Your understanding is correct. If iI’ve named a probe ‘red’ and house in in the booster that has a red ring on it, then it is incumbent on me to know when/where I put it in the protein. If I get confused which is which, the holding the CPT display near the thermometer will switch the display to that probe. Doesn’t change the booster function.

Your understanding is correct. If iI’ve named a probe ‘red’ and house in in the booster that has a red ring on it, then it is incumbent on me to know when/where I put it in the protein. If I get confused which is which, the holding the CPT display near the thermometer will switch the display to that probe. Doesn’t change the booster function.
Yeah, that’s why I was looking for a way to physically mark the probe; this feeble old mind sometimes forgets things. ;)

I have sent an e-mail to CI asking the same question and suggesting that they consider offering probes with different colored handles. Probably won’t happen.

Until then, I guess I’ll just use the silicone ring on the booster and try to remember where I put the probe.

Finally used my new CI Predictive Thermometer setup tonight on a salmon cook. Sorry; no pictures as we had to get dinner on pronto so my wife could get to choir practice on time. For being “retired” nearly 20 years, we sure are busy!

Anyway, the first run with the new thermometer setup went very well. The app seems well designed and works as advertised. And, the predictive function was amazing; it was within a few seconds of the predicted time when the set temp was reached. Impressive!

I think I’m gonna like these things!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back