Combustion Inc. Predictive Thermometer with Range-Extending Booster?

I wouldn't say it is superior to the CPT. I would say its another variant. The main thing I look for is bang for buck. I linked an amazon Wifi-Bridge model (current one I have/use). and for the cost and it being true Wi-Fi, I can't justify paying for something else (it's also cheaper then the best distance/ranged model of the CPT).
Also, as I stated before, knowing the surface temp of my meat.. almost inconsequential. If I have ambient and internal, that is all I really need for gauging where I am in the cook process/time. Again, its a marker, not a definitive "Oh hey it says 160 degrees I better pull and wrap it.!" I think we both know from the amount of years we have been cooking/ BBQ'ing that, that is NOT how you do it. :D
Thanks for the input and I think I understand where you are coming from. You have a wireless temperature probe that is meeting your needs, and that’s great. I don’t—yet—have one and so my perspective is likely a bit different. While I have ordered one of the Combustion Inc Predictive Thermometers, I have not received it so don’t have any hands-on experience. I have used my SIL’s Meater a couple of times, however, and wasn’t overly impressed; especially with the app.

In looking at the spec’s on the Meater and the CIPT units, I think calling one a “variant” of another is misleading. A “variant” is usually considered a derivative and I don’t think that is an accurate assumption. As an example, while a Ferrari 250GT has four wheels, a steering wheel and runs on gas, it is hardly a “variant” of the Ford Model T (which—yes—I do remember and have driven). :ROFLMAO:

Certainly, cost is a factor, but is more prominent when you already have a similar product than when you are buying something you don’t already have. It appears to me that, for a new buyer, the costs of the two units are reasonably similar so, for me, that’s not a factor.

Now, the differences in capabilities is more difficult to quantify for an individual purchaser. I find the “predictive” feature to be quite useful, despite the fact that I have been grilling and smoking for a significant number of years. I have a similar—though not as sophisticated—feature in my ThermoWorks Signals wired thermometer unit that calculates when the protein will reach the desired temperature, based on a temperature rise algorithm. I like that.

So, what I take away from this discussion is that (1) motivations are different between buying a new wireless thermometer and replacing an existing one, (2) price is more important to some than to others, and (3) the importance of features varies widely by user/purchaser.

To each their own would seem to apply here. Thanks, again, for your input.

In fact, the reason most people buy this style of truly wireless Temp Probe , is to mimic the "wifi" ability most pellet smokers come with these days, and while they are both wireless, I can get into my vehicle (cell phone coming with me), and I can still monitor my food no matter where the hell I am, can't do that with the CPT (yet I am sure).
Not true at all for me. I have zero interest in being out in my truck and monitoring the temp of my food. What am I going to do if I’m at (fill in the blank) and the temp of the food drops/spikes? If I’m cooking a meal for my family, I’m not leaving my house where a number of things can go wrong.

Initially wanted a wireless option because I cook on two rotisserie grills and wireless is the viable option. I’ve since found it valuable on my charcoal grill and in my convection oven, so I’m a fan of the wireless technology. So while I have zero experience with the wireless probe you own, I still stand (with additional info) that for me, the CPT is superior to the MEATER in every way. I have no clue how it compares with your wireless probe as I have no experience with it.

Last edited:
Not true at all for me. I have zero interest in being out in my truck and monitoring the temp of my food. What am I going to do if I’m at (fill in the blank) and the temp of the food drops/spikes? If I’m cooking a meal for my family, I’m not leaving my house where a number of things can go wrong.

Initially wanted a wireless option because I cook on two rotisserie grills and wireless is the viable option. I’ve since found it valuable on my charcoal grill and in my convection oven, so I’m a fan of the wireless technology. So while I have zero experience with the wireless probe you own, I still stand (with additional info) that for me, the CPT is superior to the MEATER in every way. I have no clue how it compares with your wireless probe as I have no experience with it.
That pretty much sums up my thoughts, as well, @Greg Jones. Long-distance cooking is not my thing; too many years tending a stick-burner, I guess.

I’m almost always within a couple hundred feet of the grill, so internet connectivity is not a must-have, though if CI does come up with it (as they say they are working on), I guess it would be a bonus. My experience with internet connectivity, however, hasn’t been the best with the RT-340 and it isn’t something I would pay extra for or let be a deciding factor. OTOH, the internet connectivity with the Signals has been nearly perfect even though I really don’t need it. Go figure! I guess implementation is everything.

And, like you, my primary use for a wireless probe is rotisserie cooking. It beats the heck out of constantly running out and poking the protein with my Thermapen One. For non-rotisserie cooks, the TW Signals has been stellar. No need for change there.

And, like you, my primary use for a wireless probe is rotisserie cooking. It beats the heck out of constantly running out and poking the protein with my Thermapen One. For non-rotisserie cooks, the TW Signals has been stellar. No need for change there.
My biggest need for this technology when rotisserie cooking, is not the temp of the protein. I’m using wood/lump charcoal for fuel, and I need a warning that the fire is going out!

It would appear that @pmbjr is not using a MEATER. See the thread earlier where he links to a different probe on Amazon.
Hmmm, that’s apparently correct. There are a lot of wireless thermometers showing up on the market lately and it is hard to know whether they are legitimate contenders or just cheap knock-offs.

New booster CPT hardware has arrived and will be shipping out to early pre-orders this week. Lots of interesting updates to the firmware are coming as well.
Yeah, that was for the June orders according to the e-mail I got from CI. The July orders are supposed to ship as scheduled on July 20.

Boosters have shipped, coming from Utah so I don’t expect to see them until the first of the week. 🤞🏻

Also a little extra arriving for the PK tomorrow, from the Burn Shop. Really excited about this!

IMG_0892.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for the input and I think I understand where you are coming from. You have a wireless temperature probe that is meeting your needs, and that’s great. I don’t—yet—have one and so my perspective is likely a bit different. While I have ordered one of the Combustion Inc Predictive Thermometers, I have not received it so don’t have any hands-on experience. I have used my SIL’s Meater a couple of times, however, and wasn’t overly impressed; especially with the app.

In looking at the spec’s on the Meater and the CIPT units, I think calling one a “variant” of another is misleading. A “variant” is usually considered a derivative and I don’t think that is an accurate assumption. As an example, while a Ferrari 250GT has four wheels, a steering wheel and runs on gas, it is hardly a “variant” of the Ford Model T (which—yes—I do remember and have driven). :ROFLMAO:

Certainly, cost is a factor, but is more prominent when you already have a similar product than when you are buying something you don’t already have. It appears to me that, for a new buyer, the costs of the two units are reasonably similar so, for me, that’s not a factor.

Now, the differences in capabilities is more difficult to quantify for an individual purchaser. I find the “predictive” feature to be quite useful, despite the fact that I have been grilling and smoking for a significant number of years. I have a similar—though not as sophisticated—feature in my ThermoWorks Signals wired thermometer unit that calculates when the protein will reach the desired temperature, based on a temperature rise algorithm. I like that.

So, what I take away from this discussion is that (1) motivations are different between buying a new wireless thermometer and replacing an existing one, (2) price is more important to some than to others, and (3) the importance of features varies widely by user/purchaser.

To each their own would seem to apply here. Thanks, again, for your input.
Understood.
I will disagree with you on one point. It is a variant.
using your own analogy, depending on "who" built the first car. the Ferrari GT XXX is a variant/ derivative of the first car. It may be more advanced, but it still has, as you pointed out, 4 wheels, a steering wheel, runs on gas. That makes it a variant (derivative) of the first version. :cool:

@Jim6820 in the house! Will try to test tomorrow, weather permitting. And no, these are not probe and a booster, these are booster only.

View attachment 19672
Thanks, @Greg Jones, have fun playing with the new toys. (y)

I just received an e-mail from CI this morning saying the July 20 ship date for my unit has been pushed back to July 27. This actually works great for me as we will be out of town for a few days around the earlier arrival date based on July 20 shipment. The delay will put the arrival date when we’re back at home.

Thanks, @Greg Jones, have fun playing with the new toys. (y)

I just received an e-mail from CI this morning saying the July 20 ship date for my unit has been pushed back to July 27. This actually works great for me as we will be out of town for a few days around the earlier arrival date based on July 20 shipment. The delay will put the arrival date when we’re back at home.
You may want to cancel, or at least reconsider your order, after reading the issues on their Reddit page where the probes will not stay seated in the booster/charger case. The probe is still a great probe, but not being able to trust that isn’t is charged when you want to use it is an issue for me. I’ve requested my order for a fourth probe be canceled until they figure this out.

After doing a little research, I decided that the CI range booster just isn’t ready for prime time and cancelled my order. I didn’t want to go with a product that hasn’t yet been fully sorted out. When/if they get the issues sorted out, I will consider re-ordering.

Found this on the Combustion Inc ”Product Release Notes” web page:

”Signal strength and heavy metal grills

“Rec-tec defeated us. Sort of. (If you didn’t know, they’re a brand that builds grills that weigh about the same as a battleship.)

“The thicker the metal, the more it blocks radio. Even a strong transmitter (like the one inside the Predictive Thermometer) inside a bomb-proof 10-gauge plate-metal enclosure is going to have signal issues.

“A Predictive Thermometer inside one of these monster grills can get a weakened signal through – though reception depends on the proximity and orientation of the display.
We plan to release a set of universal rabbit ears that will mount to any smoker or grill (just kidding --- unless??).

“For now, we sussed out a different way to make the most of mostly-blocked signals.
Thankfully, the Predictive Thermometer is doing the heavy calculations, so an intermittent connection is enough to keep your display up-to-date.

“And even though this ties your display closely to the grill, you'll be able to use it as a range-booster and track your progress on the app from much farther away. The repeater gets you about 200 added feet of signal range (+61m). So unless your bomb-proof grill is also in a bunker, you should be freed up a bit.”

Apparently, the “range booster” helps, as long as you can keep it from popping out of the charger case and not charging. Stay tuned, RecTeq users.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back