Combustion Inc failure!

I did, but sometimes products just don’t live up to the hype. When they were working, the predictive algorithm was quite good. I had 3-4 good cooks with them and then they died during what I now suspect was a problematic firmware update.

CI has been having problems with its latest update. For anyone that has these units and is still running firmware V 1.4.1, I strongly suggest NOT UPDATING THE FIRMWARE to V 1.5.1! Let them fix the update issue first and issue a new version.

I’m just not interested in being a Beta tester and technology problem-solver. I just like to grill protein.
My combustion thermometer is still on 1.4.1. Thanks for the warning.

I’m sure CI will work this issue out; I know they are working on it.

I guess I’m just impatient, but I decided to move on after experiencing three probe failures related to firmware updates. I do occasional rotisserie cooks and the wireless thermometer makes that so easy, so I’ve order a Meater 2+ that should be here in a few days. We’ll see how that works out.

I like the fact that the new Meater 2+ is rated at 1000F for the ambient temp sensor and it now has 5 internal temp sensors rated at 221F. The probe is very slightly larger in diameter than the CIPT, but not by much; 4.8 mm (.190”) vs 5 mm (.197”), so pretty much a wash there.

Last edited:
Both of mine have now moved to v1.5.1. Initially, one upgraded immediately and the other did about 2 weeks later. I didn't see a big difference in time to set a get done time when I smoked a pork tenderloin.

Below is what I got back from Combustion when I emailed their help line to inquire about the issues with 1.5.1.

"
Our software team is currently chasing a bug that affected a handful of thermometers when the latest firmware was released.

If your probe is working perfectly fine, you may hold off in updating but please do let us know if you observe unusual behaviors.

Best regards,
Ivy
🔥
Combustion Inc.

I have been in Sales and marketing for a few decades and figured out that proactively notifying customers of an issue, software or hardware, if FAR better than waiting for the customer to run into the issue in the middle of a project.

Once confidence is lost it is extremely difficult to get back.

I have a pair of Meaters that are the Traeger adaptation supplied with their top end pellet grills. I used them once and never picked them up again. I actually haven't even lit the Traeger Grill since I got my BFG. I really need to get it out onto craig's list.

My gripe with the meaters is the probe diameter. I feel like I am placing railroad spikes into the meat. Nope, I stick with the signals. I haven't actually seen the CIPT probes. If they are smaller diameter, I might use them for Rotisserie cooking (Jim's observation).

A quick funny on my Signals unit involves the on board battery signal going dead during a cook and the fact that my IPAD application maintained the last "sent" temperature on my IPAD Signals App. It did not send any sort of "your battery is dead" message. Fortunately I got suspicious when the temps hadn't changed in 30 minutes when I checked the app. I went out and found my "sending unit" was shut down (dead battery). My app showed the last "sent" set of data inside the house.

Moral of the story, nothing is fool proof. I have a backup battery that hooks to the Signals charger to maintain the charge. The signals will also run off an external battery source as long as there is a USB port on the external source. It will not charge the onboard battery, but it will run the signal unit all night long.

v/r r

Last edited:
The new Meater 2+ probes are smaller than the original Meater, but still larger than the TW probes. And, the new TW “needle” probes are even smaller. I have pretty much switched to the needle probes for all cooks with my TW Signals and love the fact that the hole left in the protein is barely detectable.

The new Meater 2+ probes are smaller than the original Meater, but still larger than the TW probes. And, the new TW “needle” probes are even smaller. I have pretty much switched to the needle probes for all cooks with my TW Signals and love the fact that the hole left in the protein is barely detectable.
And for those of you that have not invested, now is you chance 🤣

Sorry- I’m a little late to the party, as usual.
First of all, I don’t have the range extender, so that could potentially make a difference. I have three probes and the display. To say that things have been buggy is completely accurate. I had two probes probe die completely and refuse to charge. I sent mine back, and while they sent me one replacement probe, they accidentally sent the other replacement to a friend who has been out of the country for months (they mixed up two orders). That was interesting.

Over time, there have been weird connection issues that I can’t attribute to the firmware updates, but were somehow temporary. One example is where the probes were complete rockstars during the first 8 hours of a cook, but then started disconnecting and reconnecting constantly. That problem spontaneously disappeared as quickly as it appeared. Several firmware updates later, things had been working well. Then, last week, Super Bowl Sunday, I was using two probes without updating them first. They all had the same firmware versions. One probe (Cartman’s Probe) worked great. Another probe (Vlad’s Impaler) wouldn’t connect with anything, even though it was fully charged. It was like it didn’t exist. So I just used my other two probes and went on with life.

Today, I went to investigate Vlad some more, and it connected immediately, without updating it. I updated them all anyway, and they’re now all on version 1.8.1.

Who knows? Anyway, for me, they’re still my go-to, because they are dishwasher safe, easy to use, especially in sub-zero weather, and I have yet to accidentally destroy one (wires have not liked me previously). Time will tell.

I have no reason to use the Meater. I'm a disciple of "if it ain"t broke don't fix it".

I have no reason to use the Meater. I'm a disciple of "if it ain"t broke don't fix it".
I am also a disciple of "if it ain’t broke don't fix it," but I’m not sure I understand how it applies in the context of this thread. My three CIPT probes all “broke.” So, when they “broke,” I “fixed” them by replacing them with a Meater 2+. Seems logical to me.

As I said earlier in this thread, I only need wireless probes for my rotisserie cooks. YMMV

As I said earlier in this thread, I only need wireless probes for my rotisserie cooks. YMMV
I was getting ready to buy my first wireless probe and was going to go with the CIPT probes until I read what you just went through Jim. So, I ordered two of the Meater 2+ probes instead. I got them two days ago and have not used them yet but will tomorrow when I do a whole chicken on the Napoleon rotisserie. I have never used my TW Signals on a gas grill for a number of reasons. I got two of the Meater probes for when I am cooking steaks (only two of us here) on the Napoleon. My wife likes her steak cook differently than I like mine and we usually cook two different cuts of steaks. Being able to relax and know the steaks will be done perfectly without having to check them with the Thermapen ONE every few minutes as they get closer to being ready to pull off the grill is something I am really looking forward too. Also watched the Meater video on cooking a whole chicken and they said if you had a second probe it was good to put one in the breast and the other in the thigh since you want that to get up to the 180-185 degree to break the collagen down. I liked what saw with The Meater app when I was setting up the probes. I have a learning curve to go through, but it looked pretty simply.

@PRC, I haven’t used my Meater on a cook yet, but have done a couple of dry runs and they seem great. I do like the app; elegant in its simplicity, We can compare notes on the learning curve. Good luck.

@PRC, I haven’t used my Meater on a cook yet, but have done a couple of dry runs and they seem great. I do like the app; elegant in its simplicity, We can compare notes on the learning curve. Good luck.
You may have zero interest now @Jim6820 , but CPI has emailed there is a new v.1.5.3 to address the issues we both experienced. I look forward to the next cook using the new version. Good luck with your continued experiment. Semper fi

You may have zero interest now @Jim6820 , but CPI has emailed there is a new v.1.5.3 to address the issues we both experienced. I look forward to the next cook using the new version. Good luck with your continued experiment. Semper fi
Yeah, @LarryCTN, I got an e-mail telling me I should update my firmware. Unfortunately, all the hardware has been returned to CI for a full refund so I can’t do that. I really do hope that the latest update fixes the issue for you and the rest of the CI users.

Even though I liked most of the things about the CI, there were a few—besides the obvious firmware update issue—that I wasn’t thrilled with. No point getting into any specifics since it is a moot point now for me. I will say that the Meater 2+ has worked well for me up to this point and I don’t regret making the change.

I originally bought 2 probes and a display before they were officially released. I later bought a third probe and three range extenders when they were released. I had such great hope for this hardware, but I stopped using any of it weeks (months?) ago when a) it disconnected constantly and b) the battery would discharge in a few hours, and (c) @Jim6820 reported a firmware upgrade had bricked his.

With the latest update, I decided to pull it all out, charge everything, update the firmware, and cross my fingers. The display, the three boosters, and two of the probes updated fine. The third probe is not even recognized to perform the update, and it would connect before. I’m done with the CPT and have requested a refund of everything I purchased. We’ll see. PS, my MEATER 2 has been excellent.

IMG_2123.jpeg

Last edited:
I originally bought 2 probes and a display before they were officially released. I later bought a third probe and three range extenders when they were released. I had such great hope for this hardware, but I stopped using any of it weeks (months?) ago when a) it disconnected constantly and b) the battery would discharge in a few hours, and (c) @Jim6820 reported a firmware upgrade had bricked his.

With the latest update, I decided to pull it all out, charge everything, update the firmware, and cross my fingers. The display, the three boosters, and two of the probes updated fine. The third probe is not even recognized to perform the update, and it would connect before. I’m done with the CPT and have requested a refund of everything I purchased. We’ll see. PS, my MEATER 2 has been excellent.

View attachment 21408
@Greg Jones, I’m sorry to hear this. I, too, had very high hopes for the CIPT probes and am sincerely disappointed in how this has gone. Hopefully, CI will treat you as well as they did me.

I think the predictive algorithm CI is using has great potential and—when the probes worked—I really liked it. The Meater 2+ predictive algorithm works OK, but IME is quite a bit slower in arriving at a prediction. That said, it works well enough for my needs.

After more years than I care to count of grilling and smoking, the algorithm between my ears still works pretty well, so having technology take over is more of a curiosity than a necessity.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back