Combustion Inc failure!

I wouldn’t be so quick to abandon your Meater; in certain circumstances wireless probes can work well. And, while I don’t currently own a Meater (though I have used one), I haven’t heard anything about them having issues with firmware upgrades locking them up. If you do any rotisserie cooking, a wireless probe can be great.

As @SmokeZilla said, be sure you have the latest version of Meater, or—if not—see if you can exchange yours for the latest.
Jim; Interesting. I will check my software/firmware versions in a bit. How Combustion solves this issue will say a lot about their customer support and problem solving.

I have left my CIPT probes out of the booster/chargers for 72 hours to be sure the batteries were fully depleted. They have just been plugged in to charge. Once that’s done, I’ll see how they work and whether the one probe that did not update the last time around will do so.

If everything has been reset and is working correctly, I’ll be fine. If not, I will be in contact with CI. Stay tuned!

I put a couple of pork tenderloins on the grill a few minutes ago with CIPT probes in each. They had been freshly charged a few hours ago. One failed to connect to the booster, so I replaced it with a spare probe I had. A few minutes later, it was reading some obviously incorrect temperatures as well.

My faithful TW Signals unit was called into service and flawlessly started measuring temps and connecting to the wifi. Nice to have a reliable unit in reserve.

I am going to leave all three CIPT probes out of the chargers for a couple of days until they run out of battery (supposedly the way to reset them) and see what happens. All probes were updated with new firmware earlier today and I’m wondering if that is part of the problem. We’ll see after the reset.

Meanwhile, the cook goes on, uninterrupted. (y)
My money is on the update. I've encountered update problems for many, many years. Worst was a MS OS10 that deleted OS8, but couldn't install 10 or reinstall 8. Now a Roku speakers update has left me with only the soundbar. Do we own these things, or do manufacturers just let us borrow them for awhile?
Rant ended.

Well, after TWO “reset” attempts and all three probes are still dead, I have given up!!!

Sent a note to Combustion Inc just now telling them that I’d be happy to send them the three dead probes, two boosters, one standard charger and one display unit for an “autopsy.” I also told them that I did not want them to send me any replacement units as I have lost all faith in their products.

I didn’t even ask for a refund even though all my units are less than 8 months old. If they choose to process one, fine, but if not, I’ll just be glad to get rid of them. IMO, this product is definitely not ready for USDA-Prime time! :rolleyes:

The only reason I bought them in the first place was to use with my rotisserie unit on the Napoleon Prestige 500 RSIB gasser. Now, the question is whether I want to try some other wireless thermometer unit, or just do it like I did for 60 years before wireless probes.

Bummer, you had high hopes if I remember right.
I did, but sometimes products just don’t live up to the hype. When they were working, the predictive algorithm was quite good. I had 3-4 good cooks with them and then they died during what I now suspect was a problematic firmware update.

CI has been having problems with its latest update. For anyone that has these units and is still running firmware V 1.4.1, I strongly suggest NOT UPDATING THE FIRMWARE to V 1.5.1! Let them fix the update issue first and issue a new version.

I’m just not interested in being a Beta tester and technology problem-solver. I just like to grill protein.

Well, back before "Digital" (in the Analog days), manufacturers would be committing suicide if they shipped products that didn't work out of the box.

Sure, there were a few that did, but it seems that with the advent of "Digital" (ie; "Software"), many manufacturers have taken the approach that their customers (end users) can either be Beta Testers, Guinea Pigs, or just suffer with the product until the manufacturer gets around to getting their Software "act" together.

How many products can you (the "Royal" you) think of that have suffered from software issues that are still not resolved to this day/years later ? :unsure::rolleyes:

Jim, don't you have a meater? I still have good results with mine, especially for rotisserie.

Jim, don't you have a meater? I still have good results with mine, especially for rotisserie.
Actually, I have not owned a Meater; just borrowed my son-in-law’s for a couple of cooks to check it out. It has since been returned to him.

Sorry it didn’t work out. Perhaps they will provide some form of compensation, even if unsolicited since they claim a 2 year warranty period.

I did, but sometimes products just don’t live up to the hype. When they were working, the predictive algorithm was quite good. I had 3-4 good cooks with them and then they died during what I now suspect was a problematic firmware update.

CI has been having problems with its latest update. For anyone that has these units and is still running firmware V 1.4.1, I strongly suggest NOT UPDATING THE FIRMWARE to V 1.5.1! Let them fix the update issue first and issue a new version.
A couple weeks ago I chimed in on your thread admitting that I had no trouble updating one CPT but was unable to have the second one update. After reading your latest posts today, thought I would make another run at updating the second probe. After charging it up, I used the app and selected this probe. Followed prompts and voila! It updated this morning on the first attempt. Now both of the probes are updated to v1.5.1 and I'm ready to test the efficacy of the claim on a pork tenderloin this evening. Wish me luck and thanks @Jim6820 for reminding me I had unfinished business with the CPT!

Well, after TWO “reset” attempts and all three probes are still dead, I have given up!!!

Sent a note to Combustion Inc just now telling them that I’d be happy to send them the three dead probes, two boosters, one standard charger and one display unit for an “autopsy.” I also told them that I did not want them to send me any replacement units as I have lost all faith in their products.

I didn’t even ask for a refund even though all my units are less than 8 months old. If they choose to process one, fine, but if not, I’ll just be glad to get rid of them. IMO, this product is definitely not ready for USDA-Prime time! :rolleyes:

The only reason I bought them in the first place was to use with my rotisserie unit on the Napoleon Prestige 500 RSIB gasser. Now, the question is whether I want to try some other wireless thermometer unit, or just do it like I did for 60 years before wireless probes.
Get them replaced under warranty - sell all new CI toys to someone at a steep discount. You cut your losses, someone gets a deal on a new gadget. No, not me - I still don't even use my smoke more than a few times a year.

I must say that CI’s customer service is pretty darn good, This morning, I received a response to my e-mail of yesterday afternoon, providing me with a pre-paid mailing label to return the probes and associated items. “Once our warehouse receives the package a refund will be processed.”

What can I say? I would rather have not had to go through this experience and would have preferred that the products worked perfectly, but a no-hassle refund is certainly a class response.

Sorry this experiment with wireless thermometers didn’t work out, but we’ll move on.

Last edited:
Well, back before "Digital" (in the Analog days), manufacturers would be committing suicide if they shipped products that didn't work out of the box.

Sure, there were a few that did, but it seems that with the advent of "Digital" (ie; "Software"), many manufacturers have taken the approach that their customers (end users) can either be Beta Testers, Guinea Pigs, or just suffer with the product until the manufacturer gets around to getting their Software "act" together.

How many products can you (the "Royal" you) think of that have suffered from software issues that are still not resolved to this day/years later ? :unsure::rolleyes:
I hear you. Being a retired cyber professional, I always read the license agreements and privacy policies. The key phrases used in the license agreements goes along the line of “…this product does not guarantee its use for any particular purpose or application of its use.” You’d think it being advertised and sold as a wireless meat thermometer makes its intended use very clear. But, alas, “…the end-user agrees to take any complaints through an arbitration process.” Guess who brings the arbiters to the table? 🤭

Apologies for taking this on a tangent. I could go on ad nauseum (sp?) on this topic as it has been a decades-old gripe I have with all the hardware and software vendors.

Wrapping this up!

While I may have had problems with its products, I have to say that Combustion Inc. is a stand-up company. On Tuesday, I packaged up three dead predictive thermometers, two booster/chargers and one display unit, and sent them off to CI. They are just up the road in Seattle, so transit time was minimal.

I just received notification that refunds have been issued to my credit card for all items, including sales tax. I am completely whole.

I sure wish this would have worked out better for all involved, but just obligated to let folks know that CI stands behind its products 100%.

End ot thread for me.

The key phrases used in the license agreements goes along the line of “…this product does not guarantee its use for any particular purpose or application of its use.” Guess who brings the arbiters to the table? 🤭

Apologies for taking this on a tangent. I could go on ad nauseum (sp?) on this topic as it has been a decades-old gripe I have with all the hardware and software vendors.
You nailed it. Under the US’s UCC, a manufacturer can get themselves in more trouble with a “merchantability” claim than a “fit for a particular use” claim. To me that is ironic since they advertise a specific range of performance in their specifications. One could argue that any post receipt updates/upgrades void the original warranty terms and kick in the caveat emptor clause post purchase. As you are alert to highlight, most EULAs are not read. Further, the EULA that comes with updates may be significantly different than the original. Technically, one could probably approach this as “not” fit for a particular use claim but CI can say the cause was related to an improper update process by the user. I one day hope to see the US adopt some of the warranty and return clauses used in the EU to protect consumers. But, lobbyist and corrupt politicians will probably never let that become a reality. Just my opinions. I will get off my soapbox and yield my remaining time back to the forum.

You nailed it. Under the US’s UCC, a manufacturer can get themselves in more trouble with a “merchantability” claim than a “fit for a particular use” claim. To me that is ironic since they advertise a specific range of performance in their specifications. One could argue that any post receipt updates/upgrades void the original warranty terms and kick in the caveat emptor clause post purchase. As you are alert to highlight, most EULAs are not read. Further, the EULA that comes with updates may be significantly different than the original. Technically, one could probably approach this as “not” fit for a particular use claim but CI can say the cause was related to an improper update process by the user. I one day hope to see the US adopt some of the warranty and return clauses used in the EU to protect consumers. But, lobbyist and corrupt politicians will probably never let that become a reality. Just my opinions. I will get off my soapbox and yield my remaining time back to the forum.
I agree 100% that the U.S. consumer and internet users would be better off/protect by us following the EU on most of those matters…especially privacy policies and what companies can and cannot collect (PII) and what they can and cannot do with our data. While there are many examples, the biggest example/culprit is Google and most cell phone app developers. To me, they epitomize the core problem.

I can’t get my own adult children to understand and proceed with caution. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I agree 100% that the U.S. consumer and internet users would be better off/protect by us following the EU on most of those matters…especially privacy policies and what companies can and cannot collect (PII) and what they can and cannot do with our data. While there are many examples, the biggest example/culprit is Google and most cell phone app developers. To me, they epitomize the core problem.

I can’t get my own adult children to understand and proceed with caution. 🤷🏼‍♂️
It's a different time. (Not singling out your kids, I'm making a general statement); They don't know what they don't know.

What I find to be even more concerning is that if "I" stand up for my rights, I am viewed as being "weird" or a "troublemaker". It's all going according to the plan........

In terms of the "Googles" of the world, in times past, companies/corporations would not "cross lines" that were part of societal norms. Yes, those lines were arbitrary and fluid, but the vast majority of companies respected them. These days, it seems that a large percentage of companies can't wait to leave skid marks all over them ("societal norms").

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back