"Cold Smoking" Cheddar Cheese

Roaniecowpony

Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
We are heading up to the Paso Robles wine country with a few other couples and my wife wanted some smoked cheese to take along for the trip. I figured I'd make enough to give a small block to each couple as well as build a stash for us.

I had been using my Bull running on "LOW" with the smoke box to smoke cheese. But I was using trays of ice in the smoke box to keep the temperature low enough to prevent melting the cheese. It was barely adequate to keep it low enough.

I decided to try my smoke tube, alone, as the smoke source. I wasn't sure it would have enough airflow to stay lit, but at the 4 hour mark it's still running. Looks like it will last around 5 - 6 hours at the rate it's going.

I also noted that the sun gets the Bull door and the smoke box very hot to touch. A sheet of cardboard and a bath towel has it running nicely at around 100F on the top shelf and below 90F on the bottom.

I hope the smoke quality is not bitter from the tube. I'm running straight LumberJack Cherry pellets in the tube.

20210519_140215.jpg
20210519_140257.jpg
20210519_140233.jpg

Enjoy Paso, we just returned from there. Wineries were excellent.

Always...
The Zins from Turley are great. My wife prefers Cabs over all and I have a hard time getting her to drink much else. But lately, I've been slipping in some rich CA pinot noirs when we go to dinner and she hasn't thrown it in my face.

Ever been to Kiamie? It is a smaller hole in the wall worth checking out. My cousin is a local and knows the owner. That is a perfect place to hang out for hours with your smoked cheese. We spent an entire Sunday afternoon with them.

The cheese will need to sit vacuum sealed for a month prior to consumption (otherwise bitter and overwhelming smoke). Smoking in the evening works best and generally more than two hours of smoke also brings on a bitter flavor.

See this link: Smoked Cheese

Ever been to Kiamie? It is a smaller hole in the wall worth checking out. My cousin is a local and knows the owner. That is a perfect place to hang out for hours with your smoked cheese. We spent an entire Sunday afternoon with them.

As in; bring the cheese in and sit a bit? Dogs?

BTW, just had some of the cheese after it cooled in the fridge. Fantastic! Best batch to date. I smoked it with the tube for 9 hours with the cherry pellets. Great flavor. Previous batches I've only smoked 6 hours.

Love smoking Cheese on the Bull
We place the Blocks on the Middle Shelf OF THE Bull and use a Smoke Tube for 4 hours
It will smolder for the entire time
We turn each Block a quarter turn on the hour to get full smoke coverage
Vac-u-Seal each Block and refrigerate them for no less than 14 days
AMAZING !

Cheese on the Bull.jpg

Cheese Smoked on the Bull.jpg

Tip for smoking cheese with a smoke tube...go into the settings and just run the fan so you get good airflow.

20200503_070511.jpg

Here's the result. We just had a couple slices this morning. Although it hasn't aged, the very middle has a great, bold, smoke flavor and the outside is clearly colored by the cherry wood. My future cheese smokes will be longer than beforre, due to what I learned on this smoke.

20210520_072152.jpg

I cold smoked some cheddar and Monterey jack about 5 weeks ago. I will definitely be doing this again, although I struggled with pit temps going too high. But I don't think it mattered any. The longer they age the better they become. The Monterey doesn't have as much smokiness as the cheddar but is very good. Smoked with Hickory for 4.5 hours and at week 5, they are great. I just need to go with a larger batch the next time.

Newb question, but -- how do you light your smoke tubes?
Propane torch...light the open end and hold/set it upright for a minute while it burns. It should have an open flame several inches tall, if the pellets are good/dry. Blow out the flame, carefully lay it down in the drum. It should continue to smolder heavily.

Tip for smoking cheese with a smoke tube...go into the settings and just run the fan so you get good airflow.

View attachment 10365
I'd like to try this. So you have two smoke tubes, and everything in main body of a Bull. Only thing switched on with regard to the Bull is the fan, correct? How long and do you have an outdoor ambient temp at which you prefer to do it?

Haven't used the "Fan" method, just the Smoke Tube on the far left, Cheese on the Middle Shelf
We Smoke for 4 hours, turning the Blocks quarter turn on the Hour
The Tube will smolder for at least the full 4 hours:

Smoke Tube 3.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back