Smoked Cheese

NBK

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
On a roll,

Smoked up some sharp cheddar as well as some English rugged cheese. Went with apple wood and the cold smoke method using a smoke tube and a tin pan of ice. It takes 30 days to set up after the smoke so it's a waiting game now. It looks and smells spectacular.

20210329_190841.jpg
20210329_190116.jpg
20210329_190318.jpg
20210329_213659.jpg
20210329_200336.jpg
20210329_215034.jpg

Last edited:
So you did not run the Bull at all just use the smoke tube?

So you did not run the Bull at all just use the smoke tube?
That’s the way I do it. Some people also use manual mode to run the fan. You can do this in any pellet grill, but the smoke box does concentrate the smoke in a small space, more smoke in the cheese.

When you smoke cheese the temperature in the box needs to stay cool. I have read that 90° is max temp but I have found that to be too high. I like to keep my box at 75° or lower.
I also use my old vertical smoker and the maze. I smoke cheese in the winter, in the evening when it's cold out side. The last time I smoked cheese it was 50° outside and the box only reached 70°. I smoked for 4 hours.
NBK is right, 🎶 the waiting is hardest part 🎵. 😉

When you smoke cheese the temperature in the box needs to stay cool. I have read that 90° is max temp but I have found that to be too high. I like to keep my box at 75° or lower.
I also use my old vertical smoker and the maze. I smoke cheese in the winter, in the evening when it's cold out side. The last time I smoked cheese it was 50° outside and the box only reached 70°. I smoked for 4 hours.
NBK is right, 🎶 the waiting is hardest part 🎵. 😉
I waited until evening when it cooled down. As seen in the pictures, I had a tray filled with ice to maintain the box temp. According to the Recteq temp gauge (Tel-Tru gauges will be here Wednesday) the interior box temp stayed static @ 60°. When I pulled off the cheese it was cool to the touch. Generally 2 - 3 hours will do the trick if you are generating enough smoke. If I were to guess, the cheese is probably edible at worst.

I waited until evening when it cooled down. As seen in the pictures, I had a tray filled with ice to maintain the box temp. According to the Recteq temp gauge (Tel-Tru gauges will be here Wednesday) the interior box temp stayed static @ 60°. When I pulled off the cheese it was cool to the touch. Generally 2 - 3 hours will do the trick if you are generating enough smoke. If I were to guess, the cheese is probably edible at worst.
Thanks! I don't know how I didn't see that in the earlier post. Haha. Well, I live in south Florida, so below 75 is going to be tough. Have to wait for a winter cold front to come through.

The pan of ice will help with temps in FL. I always wait for dark to start mine, but will use ice next time anyway.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back