Cold smoking

Beerlord

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
In the time of the caveman, I worked in a restaurant in New Orleans. They bought an old building which had a large room so they put up a wall that separated it about 25/75. The smaller portion was used to cold smoke meats and seafood. They'd blow smoke in from the larger room with the temperature about 36 and let it smoke for at least 24 hours. You've never had a soft shell crab until you tasted a smoked one topped with crawfish and shrimp.
So this weekend I smoked some thighs and then turned the Bull off. A few hours later the boss brought home salmon from Sam's and told me to smoke it. Of course I obeyed the high queen.
Since I like to use a smoke tube to bring up the smoke, it was still smoking an hour after the Bull was turned off so I simply put the salmon (with an nice spicy sweet rub) on the pit for about an hour with no heat. Yes I know that can be dangerous if it was 90 degrees out but damn, was it good. It only took 35 minutes at 225 to get it up to 130 to eat. The boss was crazy about it too. The smoke flavor was perfect (I used Sweet BBQ pellets) and I don't think I will smoke salmon any other way again. And look mom, no food poisoning!

In the time of the caveman, I worked in a restaurant in New Orleans. They bought an old building which had a large room so they put up a wall that separated it about 25/75. The smaller portion was used to cold smoke meats and seafood. They'd blow smoke in from the larger room with the temperature about 36 and let it smoke for at least 24 hours. You've never had a soft shell crab until you tasted a smoked one topped with crawfish and shrimp.
So this weekend I smoked some thighs and then turned the Bull off. A few hours later the boss brought home salmon from Sam's and told me to smoke it. Of course I obeyed the high queen.
Since I like to use a smoke tube to bring up the smoke, it was still smoking an hour after the Bull was turned off so I simply put the salmon (with an nice spicy sweet rub) on the pit for about an hour with no heat. Yes I know that can be dangerous if it was 90 degrees out but damn, was it good. It only took 35 minutes at 225 to get it up to 130 to eat. The boss was crazy about it too. The smoke flavor was perfect (I used Sweet BBQ pellets) and I don't think I will smoke salmon any other way again. And look mom, no food poisoning!
Do think that could be frozen without degrading the flavor or the firmness of the fish after cold smoking??? Here’s why I’m asking: Ocean caught salmon is a huge favorite in my household. Personally, I’m more than a bit dubious about “farmed” fish for any number of reasons, including, but not limited to, bland flavor, unhealthy environments for the fish, and the practice of injection of color to hide the fact that they’re gray without the food coloring.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back