Charcoal Pellets

KSM

I am totally new to the pellet grill scene and just received my Flagship 1100 and went through the initial burn-off and biscuit test. I purchased a couple of bags of Bear Mountain Hickory pellets to get started but noticed what I believe to be a significant amount of dust while filling the hopper. I was wondering if this is normal of all pellet brands (I have no experience to compare this to anything else) or is this unique to lower costing pellets and I should switch to another brand or start sifting? Also, I would like to know if its OK to use charcoal pellets on a Recteq and if so, use straight up 100% or mix/blend? Any guidance would be appreciated as I am totally new at this game.

I am totally new to the pellet grill scene and just received my Flagship 1100 and went through the initial burn-off and biscuit test. I purchased a couple of bags of Bear Mountain Hickory pellets to get started but noticed what I believe to be a significant amount of dust while filling the hopper. I was wondering if this is normal of all pellet brands (I have no experience to compare this to anything else) or is this unique to lower costing pellets and I should switch to another brand or start sifting? Also, I would like to know if its OK to use charcoal pellets on a Recteq and if so, use straight up 100% or mix/blend? Any guidance would be appreciated as I am totally new at this game.
I have done both, mixed and alone.

The regular pellets will more than likely burn hotter. So, I'd suggest a mix. I didn't notice any remarkable difference and won't be using them again. YMMV

Some bags are dustier than others, brands do not make much of a difference, at least in my experience. Some of us take steps to limit the dust that goes in the hopper, sifting it out one way or another.

i dump the bag into a 5 gallon pail, shake it around a bit and most of the dust sinks to the bottom. I just take a bit of care when I get to the bottom.

I have done both, mixed and alone.

The regular pellets will more than likely burn hotter. So, I'd suggest a mix. I didn't notice any remarkable difference and won't be using them again. YMMV
Good to know - thanks

Some bags are dustier than others, brands do not make much of a difference, at least in my experience. Some of us take steps to limit the dust that goes in the hopper, sifting it out one way or another.

i dump the bag into a 5 gallon pail, shake it around a bit and most of the dust sinks to the bottom. I just take a bit of care when I get to the bottom.
Thanks - I think I will begin the sifting routine which is not a problem

I use a 50/50 mix of charcoal and wood in my 380X. I have noticed a difference using them versus not using them. It is not significant as @C. Keeper pointed out, but it is enough for me to keep using them.

I was using the charcoal mix in the 700 until I got the 380X. I only use them on my 380X now because it typically is used at a higher temp than my 700. I use straight wood with flavor mixes in the 700.

There will be some dust in all brands of pellets; however, I think the excess dust issue is most likely related to how the bags have been handled. Bear Mountain Hickory pelletsd are my go-to and I rarely find much dust in a bag full. Once-in-a-while, a bag with significantly more dust will show up and it usually looks a bit tattered from handling.

I've used other brands of pellets as well and haven't found excess dust in any of them either, except in bags that appear to have been handled roughly.

Using a colander/mesh strainer to filter out the dust is not a bad idea, but I haven't found it necessary to this point. YMMV

Last edited:
I am totally new to the pellet grill scene and just received my Flagship 1100 and went through the initial burn-off and biscuit test. I purchased a couple of bags of Bear Mountain Hickory pellets to get started but noticed what I believe to be a significant amount of dust while filling the hopper. I was wondering if this is normal of all pellet brands (I have no experience to compare this to anything else) or is this unique to lower costing pellets and I should switch to another brand or start sifting? Also, I would like to know if it’s OK to use charcoal pellets on a Recteq and if so, use straight up 100% or mix/blend? Any guidance would be appreciated as I am totally new at this game.
I deal with excess dust easily. Take a 5 gallon bucket and drill tons of homes in the bottom. Obviously the wholes should be smaller than the pellets but not too small that they clog. Fill the bucket about half way and shake it baby! I usually let my dust just fall over my garden beds since I’m right there but you could just as easy do it into a garbage can

There will be some dust in all brands of pellets; however, I think the excess dust issue is most likely related to how the bags have been handled. Bear Mountain Hickory pelletsd are my go-to and I rarely find much dust in a bag full. Once-in-a-while, a bag with significantly more dust will show up and it usually looks a bit tattered from handling.

I've used other brands of pellets as well and haven't found excess dust in any of they either, except in bags that appear to have been handled roughly.

Using a colander/mesh strainer to filter out the dust is not a bad idea, but I haven't found it necessary to this point. YMMV
Thank you - maybe I will try another retailer - the bags did look a bit rough.

I deal with excess dust easily. Take a 5 gallon bucket and drill tons of homes in the bottom. Obviously the wholes should be smaller than the pellets but not too small that they clog. Fill the bucket about half way and shake it baby! I usually let my dust just fall over my garden beds since I’m right there but you could just as easy do it into a garbage can
Another great idea

In all fairness, the dust that is present is pretty much at the bottom of the bags. When pouring from bags, I just pour slowly and "decant" the last of the pellets from the residual dust.

About once a year (intentional or otherwise), I will empty my hopper and auger and vacuum any accumulated dust just as preventative maintenance.

I believe there is some dust in all bags. When I get to the bottom of the bag I simply use my hand to "sift" the pellets from the dust and put handfuls in the hopper. I haven't had a problem and it's pretty simple. I live in a very humid environment and keep a twist tie on my open bags and keep the bags in a 5 gallon bucket with a lid. This keeps them dry and may actually promote more dust, but I'd prefer very dry with dust than damp with less dust. I use Bear Mountain.

I sift my pellets with a large slotted scoop, I also am a fan of mixing in the Royal Oak charcoal pellets with whatever else is in the hopper.

Last edited:
As many others here have quite accurately already given some good ways to sift the dust out (yes it happens with any brand).
I will answer more directly to the use of Charcoal Hardwood pellets vs straight Hardwood.

I have all but stopped using anything but Charcoal hardwood pellets.

I have tried for so long to distinctively look for a taste difference (not to be confused with the amount of smoke in a dish/meat), and I will tell you, in my humble opinion, there isn't any. Hickory, Mesquite, Applewood, Cheery, etc.
Are some hardwood pellets producing a stronger amount/sense of smoke in the food? I would say yes.
However what I have found is that Charcoal Hardwood pellets, burn hotter (need less pellets to cook in cold weather), cleaner (less ash), and produce by far, a better smoke profile, than regular straight-hardwood pellets.

Specifically I use this
Royal Oak Charcoal Wood Pellets

I do not use anything else.

As many others here have quite accurately already given some good ways to sift the dust out (yes it happens with any brand).
I will answer more directly to the use of Charcoal Hardwood pellets vs straight Hardwood.

I have all but stopped using anything but Charcoal hardwood pellets.

I have tried for so long to distinctively look for a taste difference (not to be confused with the amount of smoke in a dish/meat), and I will tell you, in my humble opinion, there isn't any. Hickory, Mesquite, Applewood, Cheery, etc.
Are some hardwood pellets producing a stronger amount/sense of smoke in the food? I would say yes.
However what I have found is that Charcoal Hardwood pellets, burn hotter (need less pellets to cook in cold weather), cleaner (less ash), and produce by far, a better smoke profile, than regular straight-hardwood pellets.

Specifically I use this
Royal Oak Charcoal Wood Pellets

I do not use anything else.
I was wondering where folks get the charcoal pellets. I see Amazon has some new and used in very good condition 😜

IMG_1448.png

It is the Royal Oak charcoal pellets, I thought was Kingsford for some reason. I edited my original post, I just see Kingsford having all sorts of gross flavored wood pellets......YUCK.

I have seen YT vids of folks using what I call a gold pan sifter for a five gallon bucket. Have never tried them. Of course Amazon has them.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back