Charcoal pellets just came

I am a mesquite fan as well. I did note some temperuatur stability issues when using straight, unblended mesquite. I think it burns hot and low settings are difficult. Adding 1/3rd of Oak, like RT Ult Blend fixed my issue.

I run straight mesquite in a smoke tube.

Growing up in Texas, mesquite was always used as a grilling wood, xnot smoking. Most folks used Oak or Hickory.

Oak may the overwelmingly most popular smoking wood in TX. But there are mesquite joints that are popular too.

I think mesquite isn't for everyone. If too much is used, it tastes bitter to me. I blend it on long smokes like brisket and only use it straight for short cooks like steak and tritip. Funny thing is that tritip famous being smoked/grilled over red oak of the central Calif coast. I love my mesquite smoked tritip and wouldn't change a thing. But it gets only about 2 hours of low temp smoke and that produces a spicey tang that is popular with people that have eaten my tritip.

Some of the pellets could be 100 years old, if you consider the tree. I'm using some RecTec Ult Blend pellets that came in my bundle package from almost 2 years ago. They are fine. But our humidity is fairly low here.

I am a mesquite fan as well. I did note some temperuatur stability issues when using straight, unblended mesquite. I think it burns hot and low settings are difficult. Adding 1/3rd of Oak, like RT Ult Blend fixed my issue.

I run straight mesquite in a smoke tube.

Oak may the overwelmingly most popular smoking wood in TX. But there are mesquite joints that are popular too.

I think mesquite isn't for everyone. If too much is used, it tastes bitter to me. I blend it on long smokes like brisket and only use it straight for short cooks like steak and tritip. Funny thing is that tritip famous being smoked/grilled over red oak of the central Calif coast. I love my mesquite smoked tritip and wouldn't change a thing. But it gets only about 2 hours of low temp smoke and that produces a spicey tang that is popular with people that have eaten my tritip.
Mesquite is my favorite. I use mesquite logs on my brisket for 14 to 18 hours. I also use mesquite lump coal in my smoker. The only wood I've tried that didn't impress me was apple. Just didn't seem to add anything to the flavor.

Mesquite is my favorite. I use mesquite logs on my brisket for 14 to 18 hours. I also use mesquite lump coal in my smoker. The only wood I've tried that didn't impress me was apple. Just didn't seem to add anything to the flavor.

I keep a bit of apple around and blend it with cherry, both pellets and lump for my komado. Got rid of the offset a few months ago. It was further and further between uses and was more than a year since I fired it up. Time to get it to someone who needed it.

I've lived in Texas almost all my life. We smoke, grill and burn mesquite in the fireplace. It grows faster than we can burn it. Your missing the boat if you never smoked with it. Post oak is good and plentiful here too, but if you do a brisket, it can take the mesquite. I've also done chicken smoked with mesquite that came out very good. Its a stronger wood, but that's why I like it for brisket.

I keep a bit of apple around and blend it with cherry, both pellets and lump for my komado. Got rid of the offset a few months ago. It was further and further between uses and was more than a year since I fired it up. Time to get it to someone who needed it.
I can't give up my smoker. I'm actually thinking of replacing my current one. I can't get the smoke flavor I desire on a pellet grill so I smoke briskets on the smoker for 10 to 12 hours and then will move it to the pellet grill.

Hmmm.....I literally just ordered some of these. I don't wanna run them straight. I just wanted to mix some with some cherry and hickory pellets. I always liked that on my smoker.

I can't give up my smoker. I'm actually thinking of replacing my current one. I can't get the smoke flavor I desire on a pellet grill so I smoke briskets on the smoker for 10 to 12 hours and then will move it to the pellet grill.
Understandable. If you still have the enthusiasm for cooking on an offset, the reward is great bbq. I just lost that spark of enthusiasm to do all nighters.

I get pretty good smoke flavor from the 700 using a smoke tube. I think 2 smoke tubes would enhance it further. They seem to burn 4-5 hours when the 700 is running around the 225 temp. Much longer if just burning the tube without running the main burner, for smoked cheese and such. I was thinking about either buying a longer smoke tube or making a longer one.

I was running two smoke tubes with good success. Then I got an offset…I still use the 590 but haven’t used the tubes because if I want smoke flavor the offset does it well

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back