Bullseye I just got the bullseye and was woundering if anyone has heard about the Royal Oak charcoal pellets.

Redeye

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Bullseye
has anyone used the royal oak charcoal pellets I wounder if they are safe to use

has anyone used the royal oak charcoal pellets I wounder if they are safe to use
Not the Royal Oak, but I’ve used the Lumber Jack charcoal pellets and was very underwhelmed. RO makes great stuff though, so I wouldn’t hesitate to buy a bag and try them. Same for the LJ pellets.

Yes, I've run a bag through my Bullseye. There is more flavor from them but not like a Weber but still noticable complared to wood pellets. I also noticed the temp did go up faster.

But at about $1 a lb, too expensive for me. I do still buy these though and use them in my smoke tube with also wood chips for extra smoke. I love the pellets for that.

Seems like the new Bullseye could be used as a charcoal grill as well. Since it now has pull out ash remover. Just burn the charcoal on the diffuser without turning on the machine. Anyone tried that?

Seems like the new Bullseye could be used as a charcoal grill as well. Since it now has pull out ash remover. Just burn the charcoal on the diffuser without turning on the machine. Anyone tried that?
If you can get the ash from the charcoal into the fire pot, it should work. Dump looks like it only for the pot, not the grill perimeter.

I’ve used them but as others have said the charcoal is mild when running them through the hopper. But as an alternative I have used regular pellets in the hopper and burn the charcoal pellets in a smoke tube inside the kettle. This imparts much more charcoal flavor. You have to experiment, as you can over do it depending what you are cooking.

I’ve used them but as others have said the charcoal is mild when running them through the hopper. But as an alternative I have used regular pellets in the hopper and burn the charcoal pellets in a smoke tube inside the kettle. This imparts much more charcoal flavor. You have to experiment, as you can over do it depending what you are cooking.
Nice to see someone had the same idea I had. Smoke on!

If you grill over charcoal while it's black - you get a briquette flavored burger. Do the pellet sized charcoal briquettes just not produce that flavor due to its size? Has anyone just stuffed a regular sized briquette in the tube? I don't have a tube, but I guess I can test with my pellet maze, just lay a briquette across the top.

Have not but I do use Lumber Jacks Char Hickory. You get some smoke /charcoal favor but not like charcoal in the Weber. I guess you could say it better than the normal hardwood pellets.

If you grill over charcoal while it's black - you get a briquette flavored burger. Do the pellet sized charcoal briquettes just not produce that flavor due to its size? Has anyone just stuffed a regular sized briquette in the tube? I don't have a tube, but I guess I can test with my pellet maze, just lay a briquette across the top.
Now this is an idea. Just put one or two charcoal briquettes over the heat shield on the bullseye. I’m trying that on my next cook.
You can even kick start them with a propane torch. Only downside I see is the fan might blow ash all over the place. Worth a try though.

As mentioned, charcoal is way too intense when lighting, I’d not put them in the smoker till they were ashed over. Not a bad idea putting them in a tube, might have to break em up some.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back