Charcoal Pellets

I bet you could get some good cooks out of the used ones. I always like to save a little money!
I agree saving money with this hobby is great. However, I hate the thought that “used”pellets may actually be salvaged pellets. As many of us know, transporting pellets is a gamble at best. How often have we seen torn bags, split bags and spilled bags. Unfortunately, when the spills occur, there are some nefarious souls out there that take a big broom and sweep the spilled contents into a bag (including all the debris on the floor/street), put them in a package, tape it up and sell the product. I wouldn’t have thought this was possible until I visited a “big box” store when they ran a forklift into a pallet busting about 10 bags of pellets. They then proceeded with their version of a salvage operation. The good news was that they marked down the repackaged product about 50%. The better news was that I could afford to purchase an unopened bag. Just my thoughts, “caveat emptor”!

I was wondering where folks get the charcoal pellets. I see Amazon has some new and used in very good condition 😜

View attachment 20715
My local Ace Hardware store doesn’t stock them, but can get them on order in a couple of days. If you have an Ace Hardware in your area, you might check with them.

I am totally new to the pellet grill scene and just received my Flagship 1100 and went through the initial burn-off and biscuit test. I purchased a couple of bags of Bear Mountain Hickory pellets to get started but noticed what I believe to be a significant amount of dust while filling the hopper. I was wondering if this is normal of all pellet brands (I have no experience to compare this to anything else) or is this unique to lower costing pellets and I should switch to another brand or start sifting? Also, I would like to know if its OK to use charcoal pellets on a Recteq and if so, use straight up 100% or mix/blend? Any guidance would be appreciated as I am totally new at this game.
I’ve never used charcoal pellets. From various comments on this forum, I’m not necessarily inclined to use them.

There will be more dust in any brand that gets handled a lot…especially if the bag itself is what’s being handled. I just bought a partial pallet of pellets from CookinPellets.com. They come directly from the factory to me and each 40 lb bag is in a box…snug. I’ve only opened one bag and it looks pretty good. Of course the true results will be when I get to the bottom of this bag or parse it out in a couple of 5 gallon buckets.

The bags of different pellets I’ve seen at grocery stores and many hardware stores visually look poor. I shy away from them.

This is my first time buying bulk pellets from CookinPellets.com. I have bought bulk pellets by the half pallet before with good results. And, often gets me a reasonable price per pound. Not the cheapest price but somewhere between $0.50/lb and $0.80/lb. You can get pellets cheaper…I done that several times.

I agree saving money with this hobby is great. However, I hate the thought that “used”pellets may actually be salvaged pellets. As many of us know, transporting pellets is a gamble at best. How often have we seen torn bags, split bags and spilled bags. Unfortunately, when the spills occur, there are some nefarious souls out there that take a big broom and sweep the spilled contents into a bag (including all the debris on the floor/street), put them in a package, tape it up and sell the product. I wouldn’t have thought this was possible until I visited a “big box” store when they ran a forklift into a pallet busting about 10 bags of pellets. They then proceeded with their version of a salvage operation. The good news was that they marked down the repackaged product about 50%. The better news was that I could afford to purchase an unopened bag. Just my thoughts, “caveat emptor”!
Sorry my facetious reply missed the mark. My thinking is that used pellets are another name for ash. But thanks for the input.

It's pretty hit or miss, but I sometimes see the Royal Oak charcoal pellets at a nearby Tractor Supply and a WalMart. Both price the 20# bag at around $19.

I am totally new to the pellet grill scene and just received my Flagship 1100 and went through the initial burn-off and biscuit test. I purchased a couple of bags of Bear Mountain Hickory pellets to get started but noticed what I believe to be a significant amount of dust while filling the hopper. I was wondering if this is normal of all pellet brands (I have no experience to compare this to anything else) or is this unique to lower costing pellets and I should switch to another brand or start sifting? Also, I would like to know if its OK to use charcoal pellets on a Recteq and if so, use straight up 100% or mix/blend? Any guidance would be appreciated as I am totally new at this game.
When I find an overly dusty bag, I dump the entire bag into a large, mesh laundry bag shake it around a little, and then dump them into a container
image.jpg

Would someone please break out the color crayons and butcher and explain to me what "used" pellets are ? Are they freight damaged bags that have been taped back up/re-sealed ?

Or, am I the dummy that just fell for an April Fools joke ? :unsure::ROFLMAO:

Would someone please break out the color crayons and butcher and explain to me what "used" pellets are ? Are they freight damaged bags that have been taped back up/re-sealed ?

Or, am I the dummy that just fell for an April Fools joke ? :unsure::ROFLMAO:
Thread…
They can be freight damaged, torn, or repackaged/resealed pellets that are typically sold as “used” on sites like Amazon or EBay. I am sure they have their own following but for me, due to the fact that I don’t check the weight on a 40lb bag, I would never know if they were 3 or 4 pounds light, included floor sweepings or were salvaged in some other fashion. I don’t typically buy from unknown sources as you wouldn’t even know if it was 2 year old inventory since most bags I have purchased don’t have a manufacturing date that I can decipher. As an example, my local BBQ shop often has “scratch and dent” / bursted bag sales. I have also seen the marked down torn up bags discounted at my local HD. YMMV.

This may be just me, but I don’t find the cost of pellets a significant enough expense in the BBQ/smoking process to keep me from using quality products. With the cost of protein, spices/rubs and what I think my time is worth, pellet cost simply isn’t a concern.

Certainly, I take advantage of periodic sale prices on the brands of pellets I prefer, but buying “used” pellets is just not something I would consider. YMMV

Thread…
They can be freight damaged, torn, or repackaged/resealed pellets that are typically sold as “used” on sites like Amazon or EBay. I am sure they have their own following but for me, due to the fact that I don’t check the weight on a 40lb bag, I would never know if they were 3 or 4 pounds light, included floor sweepings or were salvaged in some other fashion. I don’t typically buy from unknown sources as you wouldn’t even know if it was 2 year old inventory since most bags I have purchased don’t have a manufacturing date that I can decipher. As an example, my local BBQ shop often has “scratch and dent” / bursted bag sales. I have also seen the marked down torn up bags discounted at my local HD. YMMV.
I guess it boils down to "Well, what the hell else should we call them ?". :unsure:

I suppose "freight damaged" wouldn't garner as many hits when searched.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back