Royal oak charcoal pellets

I wonder if they’ll have rocks and pieces of insulation like their lump charcoal. I used royal oak for years because I liked the size of the pieces, availability and cost. I pulled a giant piece of insulation out of one bag and that was the end of that. Switched to rock wood until my last order looked like it was rolled over with a motor grader. Settled in on kamado Joe big block. Still looking for the right pellets for the rec teq and I would definitely try these.

I wonder if they’ll have rocks and pieces of insulation like their lump charcoal.
I’ve tried a lot of different brands of lump charcoal over the years, and eventually all of them have had some crap in the bag from time to time… except one. Fogo is without a doubt the best lump charcoal available today, from the brands I have tested*. I used the super premium in a BGE for many years, and I like the Quebracho for its lump size in my Wyldside.

* I’ve never tried B&B lump, and lots of people seem to love it also.

Let us know how they are, when they come out. It would be great if they turn out better than the other brands that have tried charcoal pellets (PB, for example. I usually like their other flavor pellets, but really didn't notice much of anything with the charcoal ones in my 590 or even using them in a smoke tube. Still have 1.5 bags sitting around).

Ditto on what @lowcountrygamecock & @Greg Jones said above for lump charcoal. Fogo is premium, but with premium price. Cowboy and Royal Oak are low-grade, IMHO. My usual go-to lump is Rockwood, but I recently tried a bag of Kamado Joe Big Block and was very impressed.

If anyone is interested (I know, a bit off-topic in a pellet forum, but it's still fuel for smoking), the Naked Whiz website does in-depth reviews and ratings of lots of brands of lump charcoal. Some good info in there.
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm

My royal oak pellets just got delivered. Couldn’t find them in store but Home Depot was selling them online so got them that way.
So right off the bat they are definitely different than other charcoal blend pellets. These actually have a softer charcoal consistency unlike what I’ve tried that were rock hard and jamming up the Auger. They are dirty to touch and will break easier than a typical blend.
Once i finish up what’s in my hopper now or if i get impatient and clean whats in there now out I’ll give them a shot and get a review of them going.

Attachments

• 1A718547-67D5-44AA-A239-0AA8D58836AC.jpeg
    1A718547-67D5-44AA-A239-0AA8D58836AC.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 149
  • E09E3741-1E96-4F15-8BEB-36D046FFAA5F.jpeg
    E09E3741-1E96-4F15-8BEB-36D046FFAA5F.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 105
I've seen some real bad "finds" online in their lump charcoal. (Rocks,insulation, pieces or board etc...) Hopefully that isn't the case for you or others with these pellets.

My royal oak pellets just got delivered. Couldn’t find them in store but Home Depot was selling them online so got them that way.
So right off the bat they are definitely different than other charcoal blend pellets. These actually have a softer charcoal consistency unlike what I’ve tried that were rock hard and jamming up the Auger. They are dirty to touch and will break easier than a typical blend.
Once i finish up what’s in my hopper now or if i get impatient and clean whats in there now out I’ll give them a shot and get a review of them going.
Any update? Just curious.

Any update? Just curious.
I still havent put them in but they’ll be going in very soon. I wound up doing a long smoke one day and had to add pellets butwanted to keep the same ones in so haven’t finished them off yet.
i might put them in my new bullseye when it gets here. (Hopefully monday or tuesday)

I am just wandering if we can use them in the recteq.

• Safe for all pellet grills: Royal Oak 100% charcoal pellets are safe for all pellet grills on the market including Traeger, Pit Boss, Weber, Camp Chef, RecTeq, and Green Mountain Grills
  • The ultimate in all around cooking: perfect for low and slow smoking and high heat grilling and searing

I just bought a bag of the royal oak charcoal pellets, mixed them 1 to 1 with lumber jack competition blend , definitely and stronger smoke flavor and my 590 seemed to recover much faster after I had lid open , had her loaded down with brats and pork steaks , not sure if pellets had anything to do with the fast recovery but time will tell

Interesting, I just picked some up from Farm and Fleet to try. When I give me a try, I will let you all know. So far from my research, it seems they do make a difference in the smoke flavor and getting the grill hotter if you want.

I've never been able to taste the charcoal taste in char-hickory from lumber jack.

I just purchased some of these. But, upon looking at the forums on here just now I saw where someone had messaged recteq and they recommended not using them. I was just wondering if there were any updates on anyone using them.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WKMCD
Back