Brisket Flat 3# Suggestions on RT-700

sdynak

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Hopefully this is the best place and turn into a recipe but right now this will be my first Brisket ever in all my grilling / smoking days (yes, I had to admit this)

I am expecting about 3# Brisket Flat only from Wild Fork this week. Having never done one, I did some searching here and not much for just this is coming up so seeking the experts to chime in. I did watch the Recteq video Mike posted here which was good also.

Searching around Google this over on Thermoworks Blog looked interesting to take out and wrap in beef broth when the stall temp came up for the remainder of the cook.

https://blog.thermoworks.com/beef/how-to-smoke-a-brisket-flat-tailgating-temperatures/

My concern is if that will take away too much from the bark and overall what to expect for a Flat only at 3# for temp, time and any recommendations. I know each comes out differently but would appreciate any input to make a good 1st Brisket Flat only attempt.

Thanks in advance!

At 3#, that’s a pretty small flat of brisket and I don’t think I’ve smoked a flat-only that was under 6#. Given that, I can’t make any time recommendation based on experience. I do make Mississippi pot roast with 3#-4# chuck roasts fairly often, and that is usually a 2-2-1/2 hour cook with the temp set to somewhere between 250*-275*. As to the broth in the foil wrap, that too is somewhat similar to the MPR cook so that may be just fine also.

Sorry I couldn’t offer more help, but the one thing I’m fairly confident about is that a 3# brisket will probably cook faster than you think, because most of what you will read about brisket times is based on larger briskets. Sounds like it will be fun!

At 3#, that’s a pretty small flat of brisket and I don’t think I’ve smoked a flat-only that was under 6#. Given that, I can’t make any time recommendation based on experience. I do make Mississippi pot roast with 3#-4# chuck roasts fairly often, and that is usually a 2-2-1/2 hour cook with the temp set to somewhere between 250*-275*. As to the broth in the foil wrap, that too is somewhat similar to the MPR cook so that may be just fine also.

Sorry I couldn’t offer more help, but the one thing I’m fairly confident about is that a 3# brisket will probably cook faster than you think, because most of what you will read about brisket times is based on larger briskets. Sounds like it will be fun!

Thanks Greg.. that is helpful. I was thinking this would not be a 12 hr cook so this backs up my thought a bit. Didn't want to start this the night before and wake up to a pile of ash :). Thinking for this one I'll start it maybe late morning like I would ribs and just watch it carefully.

I like the broth wrap idea probably more than the bark I'm thinking as well. More important to me having tender & juicy over hard and dry.

We'll see.. I'll try to do a summary. Maybe this weekend or during the week if things work out.

In looking at my past notes, I smoked a 2.8# back in July. I put it on a rack in a tin with some added beef broth. Time wise:
9:15 at 225
1:00 IT 175 at around a 50 minute stall. Added more broth and covered up tin.
3:20 IT 202 and probe tender throughout.
5:00 dinner time.
My notes say "very good tasking"

Hope this helps out some.

In looking at my past notes, I smoked a 2.8# back in July. I put it on a rack in a tin with some added beef broth. Time wise:
9:15 at 225
1:00 IT 175 at around a 50 minute stall. Added more broth and covered up tin.
3:20 IT 202 and probe tender throughout.
5:00 dinner time.
My notes say "very good tasking"

Hope this helps out some.

Thank you!! Yes.. very helpful on expectations!

Thank you!! Yes.. very helpful on expectations!
Hopefully this is the best place and turn into a recipe but right now this will be my first Brisket ever in all my grilling / smoking days (yes, I had to admit this)

I am expecting about 3# Brisket Flat only from Wild Fork this week. Having never done one, I did some searching here and not much for just this is coming up so seeking the experts to chime in. I did watch the Recteq video Mike posted here which was good also.

Searching around Google this over on Thermoworks Blog looked interesting to take out and wrap in beef broth when the stall temp came up for the remainder of the cook.

https://blog.thermoworks.com/beef/how-to-smoke-a-brisket-flat-tailgating-temperatures/

My concern is if that will take away too much from the bark and overall what to expect for a Flat only at 3# for temp, time and any recommendations. I know each comes out differently but would appreciate any input to make a good 1st Brisket Flat only attempt.

Thanks in advance!
This is definitely a piece of meat you're going to need to wrap I think. It's not very big but brisket is tough, big or small. And it needs to be cooked low and slow.

One of the amazing things about brisket is the bark. If it were me, I would cook it at 225. I would also make sure one of the rubs you're using is like a Montreal seasoning that is full of texture. That will help with the bark. As soon as you get the bark, wrap it tight using beef broth in the foil. And let it go until it is probe tender.

That's just my two cents worth. I love experimenting with food. Hope whatever you do works out for you! Don't forget to post photos.

Last edited:
This is definitely a piece of meat you're going to need to wrap I think. It's not very big but brisket is tough, big or small. And it needs to be cooked low and slow.

One of the amazing things about brisket is the bark. If it were me, I would cook it at 225. I would also make sure one of the rubs you're using is like a Montreal seasoning that is full of texture. That will help with the bark. As soon as you get the bark, wrap it tight using beef broth in the foil. And let it go until it is pro tender.

That's just my two cents worth. I love experimenting with food. Hope whatever you do works out for you! Don't forget to post photos.

Thank you Beth.. great advice. Although my 1st I do want it to come out edible :).

Will absolutely post pictures and what I did. More to come.

Thanks again

Stan

Maybe watch a few Franklin videos. Also, Costco has full briskets for $2.99 so if you get a small one its not too much money lost if it fails but .... i don't think it will. If its under cooked you can cook more. If its over cooked not much you can do.

I smoked a 3lb brisket flat on Saturday it took 2 hours to get to 160f
at 250f degrees I wrapped it in butcher paper and it took another 2 hours to get to 203f it was tender and moist.it took longer then I thought it would but was nice not have to wait 12 hours.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back