Brisket flat gone wrong

mdsidoti

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-B380X Bullseye Deluxe
Hi All, Tried a brisket flat for the first time on my 380x this past weekend and I’d call it a fail. Way too dry. Where do you guys think I went wrong? 3.5 lb Certified Angus from Sam’s club. Trimmed fat to 1/4 in. Injected it with beef broth. Salt and peppered. Started the grill at 225 for 30 min then bumped to 250 for the rest of the cook time. I pulled it off the grill at 196 and let it rest for 45 min tented with foil. It was dry as a bone. Not sure what I may have done wrong. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks, Mark

Well, there are a few possibilities that come to mind.

First, I don’t cook brisket to temperature, but to probe feel/tenderness. When the probe slides in like it was going into soft butter or creamy peanut butter, the brisket is done. And, I start probing at about 190F.

Second possibility is that you just got a bad brisket flat. With Angus, that’s not likely but possible.

What were you using to measure the internal temperature of the brisket? And, have you checked whatever you’re using against a known standard? It is possible that whatever you used is reading low and the internal temperature was actually higher than indicated. If so the brisket may have been overcooked.

Just some possibilities to consider.

Last edited:
Well, there are a few possibilities that come to mind.

First, I don’t cook brisket to temperature, but to probe feel/tenderness. When the probe slides in like it was going into soft butter or creamy peanut butter, the brisket is done. And, I start probing at about 190F.

Second possibility is that you just got a bad brisket flat. With Angus, that’s not likely but possible.

What were you using to measure the internal temperature of the brisket? And, have you checked whatever you’re using against a known standard? It is possible that whatever you used is reading low and the internal temperature was actually higher than indicated. If so the brisket may have been overcooked.

Just some possibilities to consider.
Thanks. I used the Recteq probe but did test it using boiling water and it was accurate.
Thanks for the tip on probing, I will try that next time.

I’ve never done one without wrapping, might make a difference. I do find flats do not get near as juicy as a whole packer, but I’m no expert.
I’m learning that flats are less juicy as I read more. I was following this recipe and decided not to wrap, probably a mistake since it was so small.

https://tasteofartisan.com/smoked-brisket-flat/

Maybe next time I’ll get a point and wrap too. I think I’ve seen Sam’s selling points as well as whole briskets. Even just the point, with only two of us it’s a lot of meat. I suppose I could cook half and freeze half for another cook. Thanks

Did the slices pass the bend test? If it’s undercooked it will be dry and kind of tough, if overcooked it’ll be dry and fall apart when you slice it. As @padlin00 said flats tend to be dry when cooked by themselves.

Did the slices pass the bend test? If it’s undercooked it will be dry and kind of tough, if overcooked it’ll be dry and fall apart when you slice it. As @padlin00 said flats tend to be dry when cooked by themselves.
Learning alot. Using your description sounds like it was undercooked. But it was 3.5 lbs and total time to 196 was about 5.5-6 hrs. Could it have needed to go longer?

Learning alot. Using your description sounds like it was undercooked. But it was 3.5 lbs and total time to 196 was about 5.5-6 hrs. Could it have needed to go longer?
That's the problem with going by temperature; you really never know where you are. I've had briskets that probed tender as low as 195F and as high as 207F. Most commonly, I find 203F to be the sweet spot, but not always. When they're done, they're done!

Brisket flats are tricky to cook by themselves and I can easily imagine it taking more than 6 hours to get a 3.5# flat probe tender, especially one that has been injected and cooked at temperatures of 250F or less.

Don't get discouraged; this is how we learn. Everyone on this forum who has cooked very many briskets has had their share of clinkers. And, those who have just cooked a couple that have turned out great have been extraordinarily lucky. Brisket is NOT an easy cook!

I will only add to the above that you should absolutely NOT cook your grass fed brisket until you successfully cook regular corn finished commercial brisket. Grass fed is super lean and you're already fighting regular lean. And even then I'd have a bowl of melted home made tallow ready for wrapping it.

Most comments have addressed here.

Brisket flats are tough.

Next time I would definitely wrap in either foil or butcher paper. I like butcher paper for briskets. Also, add in some beef tallow to the brisket and paper when wrapping.

Those RecTeq probes (in my opinion from what I've seen and heard)are not super reliable. If you have a thermapen, double check the temp with that. If not, just like Jim said, it isn't as much about temp as it is about being probe tender. I have some replacement probes for RecTeq made by Elgin BBQ though now I can't find them on amazon. Those definitely work better and I was going to put a link but can't seem to find them right now. I would have to do more research to figure out where they went or if another manufacturer makes some after market ones that are more accurate. But having a thermapen is something that always works.

Even just the point, with only two of us it’s a lot of meat. I suppose I could cook half and freeze half for another cook.
Cooked/smoked brisket freezes well. We cook a full packer and then vacuum-seal meal-size portions. It is nice to be able to pull out a package of frozen brisket and, after a half-hour re-heat in a pot of boiling water or real sous vide setup, it is just like fresh-cooked.

Cooked/smoked brisket freezes well. We cook a full packer and then vacuum-seal meal-size portions. It is nice to be able to pull out a package of frozen brisket and, after a half-hour re-heat in a pot of boiling water or real sous vide setup, it is just like fresh-cooked.
I never did that until you mentioned it for like the 1000th time. Now half the brisket gets sealed up and frozen for another time instead of turning into a man vs food episode trying not to throw any of it away.

Do you commonly find the Brisket Point section sold separately?, and is that a better option than a whole packer?

We have a WinCo foods near us that carries points. They typically have some flat attached to them as well. I buy them when we are going somewhere and the crowd or event is better suited to Kansas City burnt ends than a whole brisket. Once it’s cooked I pop off the little piece of flat for lunch or dinner.

Do you commonly find the Brisket Point section sold separately?, and is that a better option than a whole packer?
I have seen both points and flats sold separately, though not “commonly” in my area. I look for 9-10 pound full packers and freeze meal-size portions after cooking.

And, there’s nothing that says you can’t buy a whole packer and separate the point and flat yourself. Easy to do, Freeze one or both sections for a later cook.

I bulk cook butts and brisket every 4 months. But not in my recteq. I use my spicewine. This is an old picture of butts but accurate for our approach. Briskets all get sectioned later for freezing. the 'bad' ones get labeled for chili, queso and stuffed jalapenos.

20201114_123231.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back