Brisket flat gone wrong

No brisket expert, but had similar fails early on.

I try to follow these guidelines.
  • avoid little flats
  • cook big whole packers (think 20lbs)
  • buy the best grade (more marbling)
  • If I decide to inject, it will be with tallow
I slice about 1/2" thick, vacuum pack in 2 person size portions

No brisket expert, but had similar fails early on.

I try to follow these guidelines.
  • avoid little flats
  • cook big whole packers (think 20lbs)
  • buy the best grade (more marbling)
  • If I decide to inject, it will be with tallow
I slice about 1/2" thick, vacuum pack in 2 person size portions
Exactly, though I prefer smaller packers; 10-12 pounds when I can find them.

15-16 lbs always turn out the best for me. I've gone bigger and smaller, that's my sweet spot, can't explain it really.
The reason I like the 10-12 pound packers is that they—usually :rolleyes: —let me start a cook at 6 am and finish in time to serve at a 6 pm dinner, including a couple hours of rest time. I don’t particularly like overnight cooks. Just a personal preference.

I tend to gravitate towards the 16 pounders as well. My main reason is that the flat tends to be a little thicker and therefore dramatically more forgiving in the cooking process. With that said, I typically have a ton of leftovers that I vacuum seal and freeze, make chili, etc. I still have yet to try making burnt ends, but am looking forward to it if the weekend rains would give me a chance.

I was initially concerned about overnight cooks, but I must say these gadgets make it pretty easy. When doing 16 - 18 hour cooks on some things, I'm not sure what other option I have.

I was initially concerned about overnight cooks, but I must say these gadgets make it pretty easy. When doing 16 - 18 hour cooks on some things, I'm not sure what other option I have.
A 22" WSM could go the distance but they're up to $550. There are other efficient cooking devices, but fitting a full packer on anything less than 22" circle is probably not going to work well. Large Kamado's are also crazy expensive beyond the 18.5" standard.

I tend to gravitate towards the 16 pounders as well. My main reason is that the flat tends to be a little thicker and therefore dramatically more forgiving in the cooking process. With that said, I typically have a ton of leftovers that I vacuum seal and freeze, make chili, etc. I still have yet to try making burnt ends, but am looking forward to it if the weekend rains would give me a chance.

I did an overnighter a month ago. First time since last summer. I had 4 pork shoulders on. No wrap. Everything still chugging away. It's exactly why I wanted a pellet pooper.

Got suggestion to try using some beef bullion for rub to build more bark. I haven't tried it yet. But just got some Minor's "Beef Base" from Amazon. It's salty, pasty, and packed with beef flavor. Probably needs black pepper and garlic powder mixed in with it. Gonna try it soon.

20240318_201337.jpg

20240318_201320.jpg

I've used the Minors low sodium beef base for injecting. I never thought of using it as a slather for a rub. It's pretty thick stuff.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back